Can we talk about black holes...

Can we talk about black holes? How severe would gravitational time dilation be near a supermassive black hole compared to a normal sized black hole? Would there be a difference?

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2017-01-milky-black-hole-spewing-planet-size.html
youtube.com/watch?v=vNaEBbFbvcY
youtube.com/watch?v=mht-1c4wc0Q
astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/10467/time-according-to-the-gravity-of-sagittarius-a
insidescience.org/news/every-black-hole-contains-new-universe
djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html
exoplanets.nasa.gov/the-search-for-life/exoplanets-101/
phys.org/news/2014-09-black-holes.html
iflscience.com/physics/physicist-claims-have-proven-mathematically-black-holes-do-not-exist/
plus.maths.org/content/black-holes-do-exist
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Black holes are black because they take everything

That's fucked up.

The time dilation wouldn't effect you unless you were in the event horizon of the black hole. But if your in that, your already dead, thanks to the spaghetification effect, sooooooooooooo.

I thought time dilation effected everything surrounding the black hole as well?

how would you exactly die? do you get stretched to death or, do you just. disappear.

Who the fuck knows or cares? Get a job.

The immense gravitational pull would make you microscopic pretty quick. You'd died instantly, you wouldn't even know what happened it would be like someone slamming off the light switch at 1000mph

They don't even fucking exist. If they exist then why haven't they swallowed everything already? There's no pictures of them or anything. They do not exist apart from in Hawkings monged head

Time dilation affects everything that is inside the gravitational well of an object. We're affected by time dilation from earths gravity, and there is no event horizon on earth.

(you)

>The time dilation wouldn't effect you unless you were in the event horizon of the black hole.

That's not how time dilation works, user.

Stop speaking out your ass about physics if you can't even explain basic shit, lul.

it's so scary yet interesting

Hope this helps

r u fucken serious

>american education
>didn't pass basic physics class
:thinking:

So let's say the time dilation of a normal sized black hole would be like spending a hour near the black hole would be a year back on earth, then how server do you think the time dilation of a supermassive black hole would be? Would one hour be like 100 years?

There's a supermassive blackhole right now in the middle of our galaxy. Just wanted to point that out.

Lets talk about having a whole completely new organ growing on your head and being able to detect alien communication. Yeah. Lets talk about that.

Idk about that?

Bro I'm totally serious. There has been no observation of a black hole EVER. Only the apparent effects of stars accelerating in orbit at the centre of our galaxy. But that proves nothing. Where are the pics? Even of massive blank empty spaces in space? There are none. It's bunkum

Nice, I want to die by a black hole

NOT PROVEN. All we know is that there is something with a hell of a lot of mass. We have observed NO black holes ANYWHERE at ANY TIME

that's some crazy shit, how far can you evolve ? if evolution is even true, I mean fuck these theories man, fuck it all, what the fuck are we doing ? is their a greater intelligence ? or not ?

Your argument is there is no pictures of something that has zero light, and therefore can't be seen.

phys.org/news/2017-01-milky-black-hole-spewing-planet-size.html

I think their must be

Let's talk about the quantum properties of blancmange. It's theoretically possible that it can transform into a lion by rearranging it's molecular structure but it doesn't mean it's happeningWhere is the evidence showing a black hole swallowing something? Surely a black hole we are observing has swallowed something by now right?

There's been strong evidence of one for quite a while.

It only depends on how close you are to the event horizon. The variable here is how far the event horizon extends from the singularity, ie supermassives will have a greater circumference for its horizon. Time dilation gets weird once you consider rapidly spinning black holes.

There's black holes everywhere in our galaxy, some are hidden right outside our galaxy. But there would *have* to be a super massive black hole in the center of our galaxy for everything to be orbiting it.

>normal sized blackhole
That depends what you define as a normal sized blackhole since there isn't really such a thing.

Time dilation is based on the severity of the gravity of the object. E.g, The larger and more severe the 'gravity well' is and the further into the well you are the more you experience time dilation, From your perspective things would more at normal speed but from an onlookers perspective you'd seem to 'slow down' as it were.
But I'm not really sure what you're asking anyway.
If you're asking if an object is larger does it have a larger effect on time? If so then yes. The closer you get to the event horizon of a black hole the slower an onlooker would see you move until you stopped.

I'm a terrible 'teacher' for physics, just a student of it. But uh, If you want to know more about blackholes, their effect on the space time around them and the physics behind them in some sort of form that someone who doesn't study physics could understand.

Watch PBS space time stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=vNaEBbFbvcY
youtube.com/watch?v=mht-1c4wc0Q

two good videos

I have a pet dragon. You cannot see it because it's invisible to our eyes but it's there. I have the maths. Trust me and give me £1 billion in funds

You overestimate our ability to take live video of things billions of light years away.

Nigga Hole gonna be comin` after you

Supermassive black holes have a more gradually sloping gravitational gradient than a "regular" black hole. So the time dilation as a function of gravity, in both cases, would approach infinity as one drew nearer the event horizon. In a supermassive black hole, the dilation would take place farther away from the singularity, but would still approach infinity as you cross the horizon.

oh
also this
astronomy.stackexchange.com/questions/10467/time-according-to-the-gravity-of-sagittarius-a

Time dilation occurs one of two ways.
One way is when moving at any fraction of the speed of light. The other is when interacting with any gravitational mass there is even a slight infinitesimal time dilation effect being in proximity to a single atom or walking from the car to the grocery store.

Not really a noticeable one as compared to moving at .99c or being at the right proximity to a modestly small radius black hole, but at every scale there is some time dilation associated with movement and/or mass at least down to the planck length by which there is no smaller known measurement of space or time.

Honestly I think it would be more scary to survive through a black hole (I know pretty much impossible) but think about surviving but being a million years in the future.

Blackholes are not quite understood, we just have mere theories, speculations. If you want to know about it,
1/you will burst in flames and just fucking die
2/you will get sucked into it,literally warping reality and dissolving into something we don't know.
these 2 will happen at the same time, thats right, 2 realities, in human eye you will be seen as burnin, but you yourself will be dissolving.
and after that we dunno what happens

So we can observe planets thousands of light years away by the way the light from them dims to the point where we can't notice it without highly advanced equipment but we can't see something fucking massive enveloping everything in it's path. Nigga pls

Bad analogy. Logical fallacy. I'm sick of dumb people.....

>entering a black hole
>being a billion years in the future
>no space ship
>vacuum of space
>infinitely blue-shifted light behind you

>surviving

lol *ILLUSTRATIONS It's all they have

Time dilation for an external observer is infinite at the event horizon. But for somebody entering, it's not so clear.

I've seen a video explaining it with scientific info and says that once you are inside, the space basically expands between you and the "core"? and between you and "the exit", but at the same time it compresses you like a spaghetti. So eventually, before reaching the core, you are crushed by the space itself. Cool isn't it?

All right I read the thread and came up with a theory. How ba dis: we are all currently being swallowed by a supermassive black hole and surely there are other intelligences in the universe but they can't reach us. That's why we know so little and space is all black n shit

\Show me a black hole. Show me one.

Also, forget about wormholes. Even if they didn't collapse, your exit is another black hole.

dude fuck you, like seriously fuck you, how fucking dumb are u irl? jesus christ

Makes as much sense as black holes do

Black holes are the brightest objects in the universe, you dense motherfucker.

A small black hole would rip you to shreds whereas a big black hole time would seem to stop before that happened. It might even go backwards for all we know you would just keep falling in and rewinding for all of eternity.

What we have at the centre of our galaxy is a "Crystal Star" Where a neutron star has collapsed not into a black hole, but a crystalline star, where matter cannot be crushed anymore by gravity

What if our universe is inside of a supermassive black hole, which is why we can't see past the observable universe. And the expansion of the universe is the black hole we are inside sucking up space from the outside.

ma man, some people are as dense as blackholes, like the crazy theory guy above, holy shit , fuck him

A star going Nova is not a black hole

So they are so bright that we see them everywhere........and so dark it is impossible to see. What I see here is a star going Nova, collapsing into a neutron star

I have a feeling you're being facetious, but this may actually be true.

insidescience.org/news/every-black-hole-contains-new-universe

How to spot an ameritard. You clearly dont have a single fucking clue what you are Talking about. We are as certain of an existence of black holes, as we are certain that the Earth is not flat and that we landed on the Moon.

nigger

Why you hating on my theory, it's just a start and I don't know how to correctly express myself. There are crazier theories out there

not nigger hole related but what is in between the galaxies? most artist drawings of galaxies have like nothing in between them

No we are not. There's a debate about black holes going on RIGHT NOW

It would explain why we couldn't find life

A Neutron star that has crystallized

double nigger

the spaces in between spaces, our senses are infinite, hot cold, that's skin, red blue, that's sight eyes, salt sugar, that's tongue, these feelings are endless and each one as different as a snowflake, but in these human bodies, that's all we know

This is not a debate, this is a fucking zoo.

Communication satellites orbiting earth are a split second off because they are in a different part of the gravity well and time is observably different. The software has to adjust their internal clock because otherwise they are slightly in the future/past all the time and it messes things up

awesome theory

Or it could be a "Dark matter star"

I wish i could believe any of you...

start making sense pls

Space fucking terrifies me. But I'd rather be terrified by the possibilities than hide behind religion.

Interstellar gas and dust, but not enough to meaningfully clump into anything significant. Also, rogue stars, planets, asteroid and comets ejected from their home galaxy. Basically nothing worth investigating.

Oh so now we can see the future too

religion IS possibility you ignorant fool

The blank spots is where the aliens are :^)
djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

Until we have the quantum gravity model we cannot say for a fact that black holes exist

alright makes sense

It doesn't move. There's typically a bunch of shit around them. We don't observe planets. We observe gravity around stars. There's a big difference. You can learn more about this process here:

exoplanets.nasa.gov/the-search-for-life/exoplanets-101/

You are denser than a fucking black hole

Not likely. Dark matter interacts with baryonic matter gravitationally, so it would be unusual to observe one without the other.

This will shut you up Sup Forums

phys.org/news/2014-09-black-holes.html

Mersini Houghton may want a word

Still real are they?

This article was widely debunked. Even shit head Lawrence Krauss debated that cunts conclusion.

iflscience.com/physics/physicist-claims-have-proven-mathematically-black-holes-do-not-exist/

Trips never lie though

non peer-reviewed article

1/1000 events happen all the time.

Also, they're debating the center of the black hole which we don't understand. Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Einstein's theory of relativity doesn't work for the center of black holes. That's why we're working on new models for thinking about them.

So we cannot catergorically say they exist, right? Until we have a unified equation on quantum gravity we cannot say at all

What's your point? Her maths are valid

She never said black holes cannot exist. She said that our understanding of how they exist is wrong. In other words, the math doesn't add up (according to some people). This illustrates that there are many things about black holes that we do not understand, but whether black holes actually exist is not contested.

Don't expect a journalist to accurately report science.

>Crystal Star
googling this gives me jewelry, a star wars novel and super mario.

kek trolled you into thinking about whether an easily observed phenomena actually exists. Bye now

>Also, rogue stars, planets, asteroid and comets ejected from their home galaxy
that's just sad. i mean think about if you were kicked out of your home galaxy being stuck in the eternal darkness knowing that there is so much space in between you and literally everything else that you will never see anything else again. forever.

plus.maths.org/content/black-holes-do-exist
Here have a more recent article to proove any disbeliever