I have high anxiety of using a plane. However, I have to do that soon, Ryanair and Eurowings to be specific...

I have high anxiety of using a plane. However, I have to do that soon, Ryanair and Eurowings to be specific. They're just 2-hour rides, but I am getting super freaked out nonetheless.

I guess these these types of planes are safe, but tell me why. dont scare OP hes a faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3740/what-are-the-icao-fuel-reserve-requirements
youtube.com/watch?v=te1lwciuKnI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You Irish mother fucker
Go eat a potatoe

Not Irish, but I'll eat a potato then.

OP you're gonna die.

You'll be alright op, as an user whose flown across Atlantic a couple times, the turbulence is scariest, take off and landing are exciting, ppl sometimes cheer and applaud pilot upon landing. TLDR, flying is fun

Prescription option: 2mg clonazepam 30 minutes before boarding. You won't give a shit the entire flight.

Over the counter option: 100mg diphenhydramine hcl 15 minutes before boarding. You will be asleep the entire flight.

Realistically though, you're more likely to develop DVT on a flight and die later than die in a plane crash. I wouldn't worry about it.

Dont go to the toilet in the air, I heard that 90% of deaths occur in there

You're afraid of flying, probably because you're afraid the wings are going to randomly break off mid-flight or some shit and you're going to plummet 30,000 feet to your death. I fly pic related which is basically 700 lbs of plastic and wire and Plexiglas. But it's got a really big-ass girder running throughout the wings, which connect in the middle using a solid piece of hardened steel. It's strong. Unbelievably strong. You don't really get a feel for just how strong it is until you've had to assemble one of these things pre-flight. You could stress this thing to about 9g's before you even risk breaking them. Now take your average airliner and realize that the wings on that thing aren't assembled by bored pensioners half an hour before takeoff but instead are a solid piece of the strongest material possible. Also realize that they can make maneuvers they'd never ever make in normal flight without batting an eye (in 1994 a DC-10 made a 90 degree dive, reportedly breaking the sound-barrier, pulled out of it in an 8-g turn and landed safely).

Planes, especially big ones, aren't flimsy pieces of metal like you're imagining they are.

>reportedly breaking the sound barrier

No shit its a plane

All it takes is the correct pocket of air for you to die horribly. Do it faggot.

OP, more than 50k flights per day are performed all around the world and nothing happens. You'll be all right.

>turbulence
What is this, how often does this happen.

I don't use public restrooms in general for this specific reason.

However, Ryanair seems like a fucking cheap airline. I rather have taken Lufthansa or something, even though a pilot once commited suicide not too long ago.

I hate flying. Seriously. You're packed in a pressurized metal tube miles in the air. Jew airlines offshore maintenance. Raoul and Sanchez can't read a manual. Something goes wrong with the plane? Long ways down. It's not like you're going to get out and fix it. You're meat in a seat. Passengers will please remain in their seats screaming in terror until the aircraft impacts the ground.

And the food sucks.

Remember the German glider pilot whose glide was struck by a falling skydiver? Ouch. End of story.

If I was afraid of flying, Ryanair would be my last choice of airline lol. They'd duct tape the engines on if it were legal.

Tell me more

passenger planes fly subsonic you tard

So much can happen inflight and 90% of all the malfubctions are fatal.

Its a miracle that you survive a longhaul flight.

Fire breaks out = dead
AC malfunctioning = dead
Rudder trim stuck = dead
Pilot got seizure or stroke = dead
Engine blows in 40k feet = dead
Fly through mild turbulences and something gets loose = dead
Fly through ice clouds and the speedometer freezes = dead
Open your meal box served by black = aids

Did Copenhagen - Budapest in October with Ryanair. Sounds like an old soviet train. Just don't expect any comfort or leg room and you'll be fine

Ryanair is cheap because they don't have any comfort, like reclining chairs or legroom. I swear my plane didn't have a restroom either

Ryanair is literally the Sup Forums of airline carriers.

Captcha related: chubb wilton

Are you genuinely retarded or are you just acting retarded?

Just holler at your doctor get some xanax or lorazapan thats what i do

OP I was scared too man until I found out that at cruising altitude, with total power loss, a 747 can still glide for 100 miles

Nothing to worry about homie. i'd say being in the air is actually one of the safest places you can be

A bro also posted a link in my thread about this about a small plane literally flying through the eye of a hurricane, and the wings didn't snap off

Just sit back and relax. chew some gum and take some dramamine

You got this

More likely to die in a car crash. Training for a car is about 8-20 hours. Training for a pilot is thousands of hours.

>Ryanair

The company that doesn't fully fuel up their planes in order to save money.
Have a fun emergency landing in the middle of the ocean.

You have better chances to die by car accident than that, don't worry you'll be alright

No airline will fill up all the way unless they have to.
This list from aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/3740/what-are-the-icao-fuel-reserve-requirements here explains it quite well.

"Per ICAO Annex 6, Part I, section 4.3.6 "Fuel Requirements," airplanes should calculate their required fuel quantity as follows (summary; see below for actual ICAO text):

Taxi fuel
Trip fuel (to reach intended destination)
Contingency fuel (higher of 5% of "trip fuel" or 5 minutes of holding flight)
Destination alternate fuel (to fly a missed and reach an alternate)
Final reserve fuel (45 minutes of holding flight for reciprocating engines, 30 minutes for jets)
Additional fuel (if needed to guarantee ability to reach an alternate with an engine failure or at lower altitude due to a pressurization loss)
Discretionary fuel (if the pilot in command wants it)"

If the pitot tube gets jammed, there are still several ways to find out your airspeed. They think of these things, you know.

youtube.com/watch?v=te1lwciuKnI

Aircraft mechanicfag here.

I'm gonna be honest with you.

Most times when we do the preflight/postflight inspections, we top off the fluids, refuel, download the engine data, check the tires for cord and do a brief look over the rest of the plane.

Often times, when cord is showing but we're on a tight timeline, we'll use a black grease pencil to cover it up so we don't have to change it. That way if quality assurance does an inspection they won't notice it.

We also carry around "scrounge" which is pretty much just a pocket full of differently sized screws. If we notice that one fell out in flight, we go through the scrounge until we find one that fits. It may not be the proper length or material, but we make sure it fits.

If a nutplate has broken off and a screw won't stay in the hole, it's not uncommon for us to use a bit of superglue on the head of the screw to keep it in place and make it look good.

If there are lots of rivets or screws loose on the wing and we don't have a lot of time, we'll just wipe the black streaks off with a rag. Those streaks are the dirt and grime from under the panel getting caught in the slipstream as the screws are rattling, which forms the marks that run fore to aft. You can see them form during flight lots of times.

Safety wire is amazing. We use it to hold shit in places it was never intended to be. I've seen it used to stretch wire bundles to cannon plugs, used to hold circuit breakers closed, etc.

There are things called differential pressure indicators or delta-p's. They pop out when there's too much debris in a specific filter (typically hydraulic) and the fluid is forced to be rerouted. Replacing the filter is super easy, but the function checks afterwards aren't. Usually we just push the indicator back in while the system is powered down.

Sometimes if we are overworked and we know QA is on the prowl, we'll use a magnet to pull the delta-p out right before flight to ground the jet so we get a break

How will you feel if there's an accident?

Regarding the cord, I'm referring to the tires.

We pencil whip inspections if we did the previous one and it was good.

We fuck with pilots a lot, sometimes drawing on the outside of the cockpit windows to piss them off.

There's probably at least 4 or 5 dicks drawn somewhere inside every plane you'll fly in. Some with marker, some with grease pencil, others done in masking tape.

Mechanics like drawing dicks, nobody knows why.

Lots of times, if we notice the pressure in the SES (stored energy system) is below the minimum limits to start the APU (auxiliary power unit, the thing that starts the engines), we'll just let it go to see if there's enough to fire it up. If it doesn't, the aircraft goes into "redball" status where we have to do emergency servicing while passengers are on the plane in order to get it up in the air. Aside from delays caused by late arrivals, that's the #1 reason flights are delayed.

Anyways, the reason we can get away with this shit is cause aircraft are so fucking over engineered that it takes a catastrophe to bring one down.

We know exactly what is critical for flight, and what we can fuck around with.

We take our jobs seriously, and we love drawing dicks.

-t. a long time penis artist

The 2nd part of this post is really important lol, if you just read the first post you might never fly comfortably again

Pretty good, considering nothing that I mentioned doing up there will cause an accident.

Tires with a tiny bit of cord showing won't have issues unless it's pretty much all the way around.

Screws only hold the skin on the aircraft, and there's dozens if not hundreds per panel. It'd take probably a 95% loss in screws in order to cause a problem. Even then, still wouldn't cause a crash.

Using safety wire on circuit breakers is a bit sketchy and I don't do it personally, but as long as you know what's causing it to pop, it's fine.

Yup lol. I was debating cutting stuff from the first one to shorten it into one post, but decided it would take too much away from it.