Was Star Trek: Generations really as bad as people make it out to be?

Was Star Trek: Generations really as bad as people make it out to be?

A lot of people consider it the Star Trek 5 of the TNG movies now.

I think that is pretty brutal. Shouldn't the fun of seeing Picard and Kirk together be worth something?

>Plasma coils
>Plasma coils?
>Plasma coils
>Plasma coils?

>The transparent aluminum windows break like glass

Its a mess of things from the show randomly put together in a zany plot that makes no sense.

And it blows up the Enterprise for some reason.

All the other TNG movies are at the very least coherent.

yes it was terrible and extremely underwhelming even at the time and they completely botched it, the enterprise-d went out like a bitch and the whole reason kirk went with picard was stupid and he didnt even do anything

idk why they didn't just have Q shenanigans and have him bring in the Enterprise from TUC for some dumb reason and then they have to fight together. maybe it wouldve been too close to all good things idk.

first contact was great tho

The first exchange of words between Picard and Soran on the planet was based.

The discussion about time being a predator. Never forgot it.

They shot for shot reused VFX for the klingon bird of prey from ST VI: The Undiscovered Country. Which was the previous stark trek movie. That is hilariously lazy.

>what's that?
>I don't care
>*crash*

I think those people have fucking forgotten just how bad Nemesis was. If we're going to take about bad movies with the TNG crew, surely that's where the conversation should start.

Nemesis and Generations are a different kind of bad
both very bad though

How to fix Generations in one simple step

Reverse Picard and Kirks role in the Nexus

Nemesis is 5x better than Generations.

>Nemesis is 5x better than Generations.

no, maybe a little bit better
maybe

Why was the captain of the Enterprise-B a massive retard?

Seriously, Starfleet?

This. All the out of place action scenes and shit.

Probably only thing that bothers people in Generations is how cheaply Kirk is sacrificed and three old guys fightscene.

nothing makes sense in Generations
nothing
the Nexus is literally a giant plothole

Dude, I wish this was so. I have no lost love for the movie that drops the bridge on Kirk, but Generations at least looks slick (for it's time period) and feels like TNG, albeit a poorly written episode of it. Nemesis feels like a half-assed attempt to reboot the franchise with more action

>Tfw Picard went amok over his dead family we had seen one time...

Your Starship crashes and you survive only to make it on top of the saucer section...you see a glimmer in the distance...what do you do?

Jesus, I eat off of that dinner plate every day. I never knew where it came from.

There's actually a pet theory of some fans that Picard had an affair with his brother's wife, and that his "nephew" was actually his son, hence him losing his shit.

Probably bull, but interesting, none the less.

Generations is a hodge podge of plot elements thrown together and somehow they made a movie of it? Kills Kirk and the Enterpise D.

Nemesis is no masterpiece but damn son.

>blowing up entire starsystems when the holodeck barclay programs exist.

soran did nothing wrong.

At least it had the best tagline

Could some Trekkies answer this question??

>Data had no reason to use the emotion chip
>Show Data wanted to obliterate the fucking chip
>Movie Data only has the chip because Brent Spiner was tired of playing Data and wanted him to do some wacky shit

Because he fucking can. And he's Captain Kirk.

Movie data is a retarded asshole.

My only exposure to Star Trek has been the recent movies, and I kind of want to watch the actual TV show.

Is it still worth watching if I feel no nostalgia or anything towards it? Or is it a rabbit hole I shouldn't get into?

Yes.

TNG is GOAT after the first two seasons. You can start there. TOS is really campy sometimes and Id go back and watch them if you get into it.

You could watch the old TOS movies but some argue that the quality of the films goes down after 4.

Also Scotty is the best character in TOS.

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

People tend to be all about TNG but I have to say, having watched all TNG era shows as a kid but having only dipped a toe into TOS, I recently watched all of TOS and it was a lot of fun. Some of the good episodes are REALLY good, like you wouldn't expect writing from the 60s to be capable of.

Of course a lot of it is schlock with godlike entities recreating medieval castles or whatever other movie props from history they have to hand, but it's still pretty fun.

Nemesis was a shitshow.
So bad it broke the pattern of even-numbered Trek movies being good.
Killed any prospect of a DS9 or ENT movie.

I really wanted a movie with the TNG and DS9 crews together. Picard and Sisko would obviously get the most focus but that would have been fucking great.

"Commander, tell me about your flight plan."

>Is it still worth watching if I feel no nostalgia or anything towards it?

Yes. Bit oldschool by modern standards as everything is very episodic, but great scifi. Pic related could be a good starting point. Best episodes of each show and favorites of actors that played captains.

Watch DS9 my friend.

It made a new pattern that trek movies that are multiples of 5 are the worst.

second time ive seen this. i guess your trying to make a meme. well, your and idiot and commander tell me about your s*xual organs is never going to be a meme. nice try buddy.

probably the 100th time i've seen it newfag

>my first day on Sup Forums: the post

the movie was a waste of some great ideas, performances, subtext and solid technical elements because the script itself needed at least two more drafts to iron out some horrendous errors.

i think its slightly underrated, for sure the villain is fucking elder god tier and the idea of the nexus can be viewed as an allegory for a lot of things.

it plays betters on paper (but still problematic), on screen its just.. some great moments that really make you think, but too many horrible ones that do the same.