If you put this album into the proper context of it being a simple pop album, it is easily an 8/10

If you put this album into the proper context of it being a simple pop album, it is easily an 8/10.

>old dads do shrooms and lsd again: the album

Context doesn't work like that. You can only call it a simple pop album by ignoring context. If you are conscious of the band's history, you can't consider this a more than somewhat worthy demonstration of creative progress.

XD

The creator's intent is irrelevant

3/10 at best

I didn't even listen to this album and I know exactly what it sounds like.

BA BA BA BA BA WIZZAAAHAHAHAHAHA
NA NA NA NA NA WIZHAHAHAHAHAHA
WE ARE PAINTING WITH
BA BABA BABABABA
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

[PANDA BEAR COMES IN]

OOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OHHHHHHHHHHHH

OHHHHHHHHHHO
OOOOOOO

leave

>compared to complete trash, it's not bad
okay you fucking retard.

In what universe? It's average as fuck from any wackjob perspective. What is there even to say about this album? It's boring and derivative. Not even that into ac anymore but why would you listen to this when they have at least 10+ better releases including albums and eps

>it's actually good if you lower your standards
lol no thanks

In the "proper context" of it being a pop album, it's a 3/10 if you're being generous.

In the real life context of it being an Animal Collective album, it's a 2/10 easily.

They've already made a good pop album with MPP, which also had its faults. This was just trash.

The creator's intent is why it is bad, you ignoramus. If they hadn't released several highly acclaimed albums prior we wouldn't be discussing this one at all.

Golden Gal and Lying In the Grass are some of the best songs in the anco discography

throw in the songs from the painters as well as hounds of bairro (skip gnip gnop of course) and you've got a solid album. i don't think they went far enough with the album, always felt lacking substance. adding these songs makes the whole thing feel a little more complete imo.

In their top 3, unironically

holy shit youre not that far off

It's literally their worst album. Even Danse is more listenable than this. That dumb hocketing thing they did on almost every track ruins every poppy moment on it.

I think it's pretty good. Through many listens, I eventually heard all the subtle textures (only subtle because of the poor mixing), GOAT vocal interplay, and, albeit shorter than they have been in the past, classic anco instrumental bridges, like the ones in Recycling, On Delay, and Bagels in Kiev

Also, I hear Avey has a Buchla Easel. I bet he could do some cool stuff with that, I'm gonna listen for it.

>even danse
t. filtered

I really like floridada

>trying to fit in so hard

ofc, this is the objective opinion

>opinion
>objective
leave

Some dude remixed it with the long live version and it's soooo much better