Can someone recommend me some sub-200 dollar headphones?

Can someone recommend me some sub-200 dollar headphones?
Are there actual good ones with built in mics that aren't "gamur gear"? Or do I get a modmic
So far I've been looking at pic related and Sennheiser HD 598

Other urls found in this thread:

hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/cloud/hscp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have pic related in white.
10/10 would recommend.

have the related and they are great! lots of sound isolation and they are relatively comfy but they seem restrictive after a few hours

Pic related are fucking perfect. But them.

Have both. Pic related. Go with ath-m50 if you like bassy music. I like 598s more overall but not much bass.

Samson SR850 is what I use. Instead of searching for the most expensive music headphones I just look for the cheapest studio headphones. They're like $60 and they're studio quality. The only downside is the 8ft long cord. The drivers are 50mm (same a Beats pro) and have a freq response of 15hz-25khz (a lot)

Id get the 598 for home use. Ath m50 can be used on the go but i found them very uncomfortable after just 30min. If u want something u can use outside and inside id get the sennheiser hd 25 with velour pads. Works lile ear warmers im winter
Replace the stock cable with a cheap ebay one cus stock is stiff and microphonic (carries sound). I believe you could get a cable with a microphone attached.Other than the stock cable i think they are better than ath m50 in every way except aesthetics i guess. On your head they are alright looking though. 90% of djs use these. Very well isolating, durable, good SQ, replacable parts and comfortable. I can wear them for longer periods.

I dont know how these phones are for directional sound in something lile fps games. There does seem to be something to these gamer headsets with their built in DACs that make it easier to hear where dootsteps etc is coming from. Maybe the DAC is whats doing this. Get something from sennheiser (PC models) with a USB contact if thats what ur looking for. Should be a safe bet.

For sub-200, I'd suggest the Ultrasone HFI-580s, or the Ultrasone Pro 550i.

Read up on the technology behind Ultrasone, because once you realize how much damage a traditional headphone driver does to your eardrum, you'll never buy another brand.

Plus, the sound profile is amazing, way better than anything AudioTechnica or Sennheiser is putting out IMHO.

there aren't any good headphones with mics.
you either get shitty headphones or a shitty mic usually both.

Philips X2, and modmic.

>they're like $60
>studio quality
>15hz - 25kHz

guffaw.

ultrasone is terrible what are you talking about?

Also dont let any1 tell you ath ad700 is as good as hd 555/595/598. They are flimsy and not comfortable. 555 series have minimal contact with your ears.

Breathing causes cancer and eating causes obesity. Putting sound that loud and that close to your ear is harmful regardless of brand, that's just Ultrasone's gimic. Also Sennheiser is one of the top brands

The Sennheisers are going to be better than the m50x's but they are 100-150 more. Better bang for your buck with the Audio-Technicas.

>15hz-25khz

+/- how many db?

Without that information, your spec is completely worthless.

If you're gunna get the at m50x get the matte grey addition it's 10x better looking for $160

VMODA M100 if you like bass
Senn 598's or AKG K7series for clean and good soundstage
Beyer DTseries those 50xs or AKG 5series for treble

I have 3 pairs of Ultrasones, love every one of them. I've been through so many pairs of Sony, Pioneer, AudioTechnica, Bose, Sennheisers, even V-Modas. None of them have come close to my cheap-ass DJ-1s.

Sony MDR-V6 used to be real good, but the cups wear out quickly.

How about $120 or less for a poorfag like me?

Ultrasone are nice looking but nothing extraordinary sq wise. Pointing the sound away from the ear will make it less taxing on your ears but thats just because the dB level hitting your eardrum is lower
If you want music to be loud its gonna hurt your ears either way. Directional sound is interesting in some ways as i guess you could argue you can change the acoustics inside the earphone.

If you love your headphones more power to you though. Glad you found something that suits you.

Beyerdynamic DT990. Can't go wrong. Absolutely beautiful sound reproduction.

Decibels are pretty independent of headphones but if you mean sensitivity then they are 98dbs sensitive

I like my pair of v-moda XS

Good bass, sound etc. I'm not an audiophile, but they do everything I could ask for around $170

Grado SR225e
they're exactly 200 bux
and wont get anything better than this with your budget

i have them in black, how are the white ones? any good?

You can get a 150 headset with no mic and add in an antlion modmic or v-moda boompro.
Otherwise you might be able to get some sennheiser gamezero for under 200, or a cheaper alternative is the hyperx clouds, they are pretty good (for the price)

Uncomfortable
Cant use outside
Ugly

I mean, I spent most of my 20s behind Turbosound and BassMaxx cabinets. 50k watts in my ear 5 times a week was brutal, and I'm surprised my ears have held up as well as they have. I remember early on, using whatever DJ-standards Pioneer or Sony were putting out in early 2000s, my earcup would be screaming bloody murder just to be audible over the stacks. I switched to Ultrasones and was impressed with their clarity without brutality. They aren't for everybody, people who know them either love them or hate them, but I swear by Ultrasones.

Sony MDR-ZX770BN
AAC / SBC / apt-X
40mm driver
8HZ - 22,000HZ

If u want ath m50 just get hd 25 instead. M50 is alright but also a meme.

you shouldn't use any headphone outside
thats why they created earphones

I bought a pair of these from Radioshack years ago, before anyone knew how good they were. Clearance rack, $60. After a 20 hour burn, they settled in nicely. Ear cups too small though, and pretty heavy.

looks like you just want decent gaming headphones that arnt gamer gear. hyperxgaming.com/us/headsets/cloud/hscp

theyre like 80 $ and have neodymium drivers, they are good.

IEMs certainly fill a niche but they are also uncomfortable. There are options that work both at home for longer sessions and also working out/walks/public transport.

Sony MDR V6, and then spend another $40 or 50 on a -good- desktop microphone that won't sound faint or shitty.
I like Samson's C01u for that.

It'll be better than any shitty headset you could ever get for the money.

Been using pic related with Fiio e17 alpen. Sounds fantastic. Can hear every little detail with amazing isolation.

op here,
so far im leaning towards HD 598 because a few people were saying the ATH-M50x gets uncomfortable after a bit, anyone else have this problem?
I also forgot to mention I'm in canada so things will be more expensive
these two are only under 200 because of a sale

Hey I have some headphones at my dad's house that look just like that! Pretty sure we've had them for like 10 years though so it probably isn't that model

That's what I'm using now
Pretty sure they're gamer gear
Wanted to get something new because I was assuming it would be a big step up

Sq is good on these for the price. They are not gimmicky but uncomfortable over time and somewhat flimsy. Also dorky to use outside.

I have both ath m50, hd 25 & hd 595. Want closed hybrid? HD 25. Want open, stationary comfort hd 598.

I'm a producer and my hobby that I'm living for is audio engineering and sounddesign. Mixing, mastering, you name it.

First of all if you're not going into professional production of whatever kind of audio, the only feature you should drop your choice on is how much you like the sound of a speaker. If you're not for features like flat and most original sound, it's all about your desires in terms of sound. If it sounds great, take it. Obviously there is noone on here who can help you to do that for you. Since you seem to already have searched about that topic, suggestions are also unnecessary.

But if you still want some kind of clinical and technical suggestion, I can assure you that there will not be any headphones in this price range that are more detailed, neutral, revealing and precise than the M50 in your pic related. Isolation is great. Can get a bit sweaty under them, but that's the normal downside of closed speakers.

Good luck.

Beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250 ohm is good if you plan on producing music. You might want to get a headphone amp down the line, though. I had ath m50s before. They were great but, a little tab broke off and the headphones didn't fit right anymore. So, always get a warranty for expensive products!

Tried hd 25-1-||?

>people were saying the ATH-M50x gets uncomfortable after a bit, anyone else have this problem?
I do. I wear mine for five or six hours per day and they have caused a sore on my left ear.

did not

Are the HyperX Cloud II's any good?

>inb4 hurr durr gamer shit tier

I can't afford a good headset + modmic unless there is a decent cheap headset I'm overlooking.

M50 has leather cups. This is never a good thing. Leather gets sweaty, earphones cant breathe. Also the leather gets flaky after a few months. Unless you have a giant head they wont stay on while running.

yo im lurking wondering as a producer what my best options are for headphones

currently got Senn 280 hd pro. mixes dont really translate too well to my monitors so thinking to up my game in the headphone department

whats the best, most flat response headsets in different price brackets?

i dont really listen to music on them just looking for clean, flat response.

>Decibels are pretty independent of headphones

Not even sure how to respond to that statement. kek!

HyperX is not a bad deal considering you get the mic and dont have to pay for gimmicks usually.found in gamer headsets. They use regular 3.5mm plugs and therefore dont have a tiny DAC cramped inside the headphone design.

If I were you id try to find sennheiser hd 555 instead though. Preferably 595. Try to find them cheap/refurbished. They cover your whole ear and dont get hot/sweaty. The hyperX partly rests on some of your ear and results.in fatigie over time. HyperX is closed design so doesnt leak sound - could be a pro to you. Sennheiser 555+ is open back. There is a.hack to make the 555 pretty much sound like 595 but 595 is better designed overall.

well... decibels are independent of headphones in a digital sense. in different forms of audio there is different relative 0db's, dependant upon the bit rate. there are preamps and different forms of hardware that can alter an analogue signals relative volume and therefore its amount of relative decibels.

>I can't afford a good headset + modmic unless there is a decent cheap headset I'm overlooking.
>headset + modmic

u w0t m8. I consider this as a fauxpas. But even then your argumentation makes no sense. Companies request extra money for selling headsets in comparison to headphone + mic of same quality. That's kind of their reason to exist. It's for lazy people who just want to get over it and have a shity pair of headphones with a mic instead of working out one yourself, that's what they make you pay for. This said you could get the same quality with headphone + mic as with a headset but for less money.

But if you don't care and looking for "cheap" like you said, it really doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure you would even get along with some apple earbuds, m8.

I have to disappoint you. I did not rethink the whole topic since I found my cans. I'm focusing on the gear I got which I'm pretty happy with and did not research that topic furthermore. What kind of monitors do you have, tho?

well fuck me for mistyping I guess

That's too bad, they looked really nice
I also didn't realize that the HD 598 was open, so idk if it's a good choice either

I should have been more specific in my original post, I'm mostly looking for over ear and noise cancelling
I mostly play games but listen to a lot of music too

*good choice for me

As for your second point, ok, I can get that. So then I guess my question would be the best headphones I could get for around $65 as I would be paying $50 for the modmic, unless you recommend a different mic.

I think monitors are the best way to go but if you wanna use headphones i recommend an open back design. Also prioritize comfort as you dont wana be aggrevated by irritation on your ears when ur in the zone. Look for something with nice velour like pads e.g. beyer dt880/99(semi open)0, hd600, akg701. I wouldnt worry horribly aboit freq. Response being perfectly flat, but on Headphone.Com there is freq. Response curves for everything they sell.

wearing the ATH-M50's with spiral cord right now. Had em for years. 10/10

Headphones have a frequency response, just like speakers do, and it's never flat.

See example of the frequency response graph of the Beyer DT990.

So, again, I say that your 15hz-25khz spec is meaningless with a +/- db added to it.

Just saying that feeling good about an awesome frequency response spec, if it doesn't show +/- db, is, well, exactly what the manufacturer hopes you'll do.

I did not read the whole thread, what do you need that mic for?

ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING? HD25-1-II. I AM A HEADPHONEUS SUPREMUS ON HEAD FI AND HAVE POSTED LIKE 10 TIMES NOW OK IM ABOUT TO GIVE UP

Yamaha HS7's are my monitors.

kinda nocturnal so quality flat response cans are a must as i can only mix so loud in the night, this goes hand in hand with what i was saying here; ; i need to be able to listen with a very loud, flat frequency response while working on music that is very quiet long before mixing and mastering.

need definition at low volumes basically.

will upgrade my soundcard to something that also facillitates this low volume mixing sometime but thats another story, got a focusrite 2i2 if you were interested in that aswell.

Yes this.
This often fools ignorant buyers. Specs say 10-35000khz and their pants get wet. You cant hear under or over 20-20000 and this is with pristine hearing. Also music pretty much never have sounds on the very top or bottom of this spectrum.

im aware that they are never flat but there are certainly ones with flatter responses than others, and being aware of your defecit, while being useful does not resolve the problem.

i was not the other poster you were talking too

The modmic? If I was buying a pair of headphones rather than a headset I would need a separate mic.

Unless you are inquiring the purpose of having the mic at all.

This is only mildly related, but these are the in-ear noise-canceling ear buds I use underneath my motorcycle helmet.

I like them a lot.

uh
aren't those on-ear?
like i said, im in canada and it said it was discontinued and the only sellers put them up for 500
found one for like 230 though

Logitech G933

>HS7's

great choice. I got the HS8s myself because I don't plan to add a sub due to shitty room architecture and wanted them to go fullrange.

>I need to be able to listen with a very loud, flat frequency response while working on music that is very quiet long before mixing and mastering.

I got two things to say about that. If you're declining the mixing phase while being creative in such a hardcore way that your track is so very quite before actual mixing session, you're doing something wrong. I mean, do whatever works for you, but dude the sound of the track is part of the track, too. If you start to mix even a little bit on the go, your results will be worth the little extra time put into that. It does not even take much. And don't give a fuck about rules that want you to peak at around -6 or -12 or -myass dBFS. As long as it's not clipping, you're good.

Second point is, the volume should not be done by your headphones but by your interface! You need an interface with a decent headphone amp and got this problem solved eitherway. But you got the 2i2, that should basically do it. So I guess you're working on way too low volumes or want the signal that goes into your head way too loud. don't mix loud, it's more damaging than anything else to your music and yourself.

yeah but what the fuck do you want the mic for, dude. do you want to record farts, do you want to put it into your ass, or do you want to make it your bitch? you tell me

1996 called. They want their ALL CAPS back.

I had these motherfuckers about 7 years ago and listened with them for around 2 years. Then I suddenly realized how fucking shitty these sound. Dude this is all bass, there is nothing else but bass, this shitcans are pure torture.

separate sessions for sound design and mixing/arranging, very low volumes because of the process of resampling

i dont care about the volume because like you said, i will up the interface to work with my signal, i simply care for the flatest response feasible

its not really a big deal just food for thought really

I have pic related, and they sound surprisingly good, and wireless.

This gona be my last post. I wana see u make a good decision and i have all the headphones u are considering.

Hd-25-1-|| ticks all your boxes and heres why.

Closed design. Sound does not leak at all when they are on your ears.
Great comfort considering they are on ear. Grips nively around your head but does not clamp on your ears. Sq is on par with ATH-m50 (sound sigmature has more bass(its tight), slightly less treble). Isolates better than m50, design is based off of aviator and news reporting design. Velour pads dont get stiff in winter and keeps ears warm. Replacabke parts, change the stock stiff cable to a cable from ebay with built in mic. Headband can be split for further grip, I jog with these all the time and prefer them to using IEMs. 1 side has swivable cup for mixing (dj stuff).

The noise cancelation works quite well and they sound great under a helmet, bro.

When I'm not riding I use these here PSB MU4.

>very low volumes because of the process of resampling
I don't see why this is a good idea. You want the best possible singal-to-noise ratio and you get this only by working with the loudest possible peaks without clipping.

Also in case you're interested, I got the M50 and the HS8 like mentioned and they work well together. Do not sound the same (what's actually the purpose of checking the mix on different references..) but when you know your speakers and how to react to it, you can work around it. Or better say work with it.

hey pss
disney.com

>The noise cancelation works quite well
You can get that from whatever cheap pair of in-ears you can possibly think of. I hate bose, they produce such shit tier equip and request such big money for it that it makes me scream inside my head. There is nothing more stupid then buying bose. Fuck bose. Goddammit

Say what you will, but they're the best sounding, closed, headphones I've ever had under $100

its because the process of resampling is reductive then compression than imaging then excitation then compression then that again and again etc it just means you have freedom without the possibility of clipping, the signal/noise ratio is why im interested in getting the best possible soundcard.

but i have access to professionalish suites where i can properly mix and reference this is just a case of facillitating a fun process

What I just overlooked in :

Dude wtf you're riding the most dangerous vehicle to be on while listening to music with in-ears? You're the absolut worst and I hope you die in a crash where noone else is included but youself. If you kill someone I know because you didn't hear shit I will find you. and I will kill you.

I got a pair of LG HBS900 bluetooth earbuds as a thank-you gift, bluetooth headphones are amazing. Idk if it's what you're looking for, but you dont have to take your headphones out every time you piss and that is a game-changer in my book.

Agreed....Anything Bose is cheap garbage, marked up with good marketing. Cheap as shit components.
>Used to do audio equipment sales. Bose always paid best commission in order to push their garbage shit products.

I've still got a set of hbs730. And while they sound decent, I'd rather use my Sony

Don't mean to be rude but you surely need to get on your ass and read deeper into it. the Interface got nothing to do with s/n ratio, mate. And the possibility of clipping is always there but you're the one to prevent it! Again: Your signal (at WHATEVER point) should always be as loud as possible with its highest peak as close to 0dBFS as it can be. This, and only this, offers you the best s/n ratio.

Come on man theres no need for that. Have you even tried riding a motorbike? Let alone a sportsbike? At night? Highway? Alone on the road? Your favorite music?

Yeah yeah fuck someone who likes doing that right? Sounds like an awful time?
Live a little.

U went from i guess somewhat legitimately hating on bose to hating on motorbikes. Wtf?

Not sure if this is serious, but I'm going to assume it is.

I need a decent quality mic as I DM several public D&D groups over the internet and I'm tired of repeating myself because my shitty ass mic is nearly unintelligible. I'll also be the first to admit I don't know enough about headphones and mics to contribute much here.

also have pic related

good decision

Get the Sennheiser G4ME ZERO, top quality everything (mic, audio, comfort, build quality), closed back, black with red accent, 3.5mm jack, less than $200. Look for reviews, literally the best headset, if you're looking for a headset, at that price range. If you have the money, just get some Senheisser HD's whatever and a ModMic 5

Had the 558s and they were amazing, the only thing lacking was a decent DAC and headphone amp. Depending on the source and hardwarethey can be pretty fantastic however when i used them on a mobile device or mp3 player although the sound was crisp and clean it was still a little lackluster

cheers for that highly valuable inside input bro, I needed that to intensify my hatred against these scumbags.

I recently went to a bose shop to check out the newest quiet comforts with active noise cancelling. I was quite impressed by this part, I got to admid. It got really damn quiet. But holy shit when I pushed the play button of my media player I lost my shit. I've never hears anything of this bad quality in speakers for around 340€ since 1941

I agree, headphones > earbuds

Dubs confirm, you don't even need a strong soundcard or external audio equipment, they're 50ohm.

Oh whats this? A dope musician using the best headphones in OPs price range?

hd598 are what i'm using. they don't have a lot of force, they're very spatious so sometimes sounds seem quieter than they otherwise would. picking about details in songs is very easy. their is a soft rumbliness to the bass that surrounds you can be really satisfying, but no punch. voices of singers are clear but they no longer seem to have an emotional ring to them. Based on my analysis of headphones for good quality sound reproduction rather than niche audiophile experience I'm looking at buying some KRK-KNS8400 next. Your pic is probably also just fine.

Nice dubs.

Yes, I ride while listening to music. And! I have the noise cancelling on at the same time.

I can't hear my bike.
I can't hear traffic.

But I can hear my tunes. :)

And any horns honking.

It's better than sitting at home and hating on Bose all day.

I don't hate motorbikes. And I also don't hate dudes doing things they like.

But what I do hate is ignorant pricks that don't give a fuck about people around them. You're riding a fucking motorbike that can kill a kid in less than a second and instead of focusing all your senses onto handling the machine you're sitting on that is definitely a thread to you and everyone else when not driven precisly, you listen to fucking music and completely shut down your hearing sense! I can't believe it.

see also this
>It's better than sitting at home and hating on Bose all day.

made me kek more than it should have. You're a fucking faggot, still.