How am I supposed to deal with depressed people in my life? Assuming ditching them is not an option...

How am I supposed to deal with depressed people in my life? Assuming ditching them is not an option, I dont have the luxury to cut ties so easily. I have experienced it long enough to know that nothing I can do or say can fix someone else mental state, but it feels like people always expect you to give some miraculous advice that will change everything for them-and every good practical advice like " watch your diet/health", "be more social" or "get something to do with your downtime" is ignored for some arbitrary reason, since every viable solution is hand waived by those who are depressed. I know its real, but it doesnt make it any less frustrating to deal with people who have it-LITERALLY its something only the person who has it can fix, how can people not see that you frame your own mind.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q456VYP3eU8
youtube.com/watch?v=sQgbxGI_mqE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

show them this and everything will be fixed i promuse

show them this and everything will be fixed i promus

show them this

show

they just want attention. if they are truly clinically depressed, they will shut the fuck up and take their meds. If they whine about depression, they are attention whores. Don't give it to them.

The best thing to do is tell them that you appreciate the fact they can talk to you about it, and ideally you'd mean that. Tell them that you don't know what to do about it, though. And if you really do care, tell them they can vent to you when they need it. Otherwise tell them they're bringing you down and you can't deal with it.
You simply have to be honest with them about what you're willing to do for them.

only thing you can do if theyre actually depressed- try to encourage them to get professional help and support them along the way

If they have legitimate clinical depression then not giving any attention will make it worse. I know there is some level of manipulation, I'm not stupid-but obviously if it was someone I did not care about I could tell them to fuck off, thats just not the case.

show them this

eat my ass

dude, I know so many people with clinical depression it's ridiculous. I can tell when they're off their meds, and I ask them,

"You on your meds?"
"No, I ran out/ no, I have been forgetting/ no, I wanted to try it without them for awhile", etc etc.
"You need to take that stuff, man. It's out of your hands, you just gotta do it. Some people take pain meds, some people take blood pressure meds, you take head medicine. You know I can't do shit for you if you're depressed, it's chemical. So just take the meds and be done with it."

That's basically how I deal with them. I don't let them turn me into a "cry on my shoulder" guy. They learn that if they want to vent or whine, they go to someone else. If they want someone to snap them out of it, they talk to me about it, because they already know what I'm going to say.

Whichever it is, it blows with the pattern face which is common to the fresh person w

excuse me, what?

show them this

youtube.com/watch?v=Q456VYP3eU8

I feel like if I could get them to try getting medicated it would help, but the idea gets rejected instantly, and I when they do that it makes me want to tell them fine, just fucking suffer until you get a clue. As you might imagine that doesnt work either.

If they reject the idea, ask them if they actually want to fix anything or do they just want to be depressed. Basically they sound like a female, which means they want to ask to be fixed, but they don't actually want to BE fixed. In which case, even if I cared about them, I'd tell them to go somewhere else with that shit.

This is the story of how i ended up loosing both my mom and my dad at the age of 12.
>Me, 6th grade
>I feel like shits going decent at this time.
>No huge fights but I began to notice my mom drinking more and more often
>Everything went downhill when her drinking habit got worse in the next few months
>Crap starts happening that I never expected my mom to do (Starts hitting me and brother n stuff)
>Right after school year ended, mom starts getting in huge fights with dad over nothing
>All around bad relationships with dad, he decides to divorce her
>For the next months my mom sabotages my dad by trying to get him fired at work and arrested
>Time goes by and were still in the same living situation with my mom and shit

My dad ending up commiting suicide because of all of the shit she said and did to him. He ended it with pills. But even after this we still lived with my mom. Just to give you an Idea of how bad the abuse was, heres a story of a case of abuse that happened
>Putting dishes in the dishwasher, but decide to take a break cuz theres so much to do
>All of then sudden my mom comes from the living room and asks what the hell I'm doing
>Runs up to me and slaps me, tells me to get back to work
>Out of nowhere, Inside me I just loose all fucks i gave and reply with fuck off
>Dish soap in hand, she tackles me to the ground, start choking me with the liquid
>Yell for my brother, he comes down stairs and tackles mom off me. We lay there in silence.

As we lay there in silence, I could hear the radio play softlyy in the background. I remember the song so vividly that played in that moment. My brother asked what the song was that was playing as we laid there. I told him to read the first letter of every line greentext

youtube.com/watch?v=sQgbxGI_mqE

You can split all mental problems to have either somatical and psychological roots or both. In case of somatical (brain chemistry is working unusually) meds are cure but in case of psychological roots the problem can only be solved by the person since it isn't so much about how the brains work but how the mind works.

So he doesn't ever kill himself;
because,
then he wouldn't be able to kill himself
the next day?

That must by why he's so depressed

ADD is a hell of a drug