Two weeks after its release, Ghostbusters has yet to make back its production budget

entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Two-weeks-after-its-release-Ghostbusters-has-yet-to-make-back-its-production-budget/383578.htm

How much did movies like Amazing Spider-Man make? How long should a move take to make its money back?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It can't really be compare with Spider-men since that franchise got a constant momentum of interest piggy-backing from the comics.

But I mean, Ghosbusters is going to make its production budget back by this weekend, and the standard is for a movie to stay in theaters for four weeks.

I'm just wondering what the standard is for an average movie.

Ya know, if a movie doesn't make a billion dollars in the first five minutes it's a failure.
t. Alt-right permavirgin

*tips neon sidecut*

Thats because it was banned in china.
Of course its going to fail.

I assume if a movie doesn't make its budget back opening weekend in prett touch dead in the water for sequels

This isn't always the case ya know (fire him markets and success afterwards or on home media release), but more then likely.

>China kills cinema by seeing Transformers
>China saves cinema by curbstomping Ballbusters

What an enigmatic people

i wish bay had never done tf
fucking asshole

I could actually see the movie making some decent money this weekend with the weak choices in theaters.
But still, yeah, it has no chance of turning a profit.

>Ghosbusters is going to make its production budget back by this weekend,
It MIGHT gross it's 144 mil tag, but it won't make that much. If I remember correctly it should be entering 50% share of gross either this week or next. God only knows how much the ad budget was. I'm guessing much higher than the $100 million that was previously guessed.

>average movies dont make any profits

Even if they got China, it won't get Transformers numbers. Most other Asia countries that actually got to see it doesn't seem to have much interest on an all-female Ghostbusters. Sony made the mistake of overlooking Asia cultural differences.

>Ghosbusters is going to make its production budget back by this weekend,

they especially don't want to watch white female piggus

i wonder if they banned it because of the gosths or they thought patty was a demond

Wait, it's already released?

>I could actually see the movie making some decent money this weekend with the weak choices in theaters.
wut

It's unlikely to make less than 15 mil

>Movie jail

Bourne has been getting terrible reviews.
Bad Moms has been getting terrible reviews.
If people go to see a movie, they'll just see something already out and will probably pick Ghostbusters.

>they'll just see something already out
And Secret Life of Pets continue to not die...

>they'll just see something already out and will probably pick Ghostbusters

Out of everything in theatres, why would they pick Ghostbusters?

star trek moron, people'll just watch star trek

The only hope left to this movie now is the home video market.

That's turned around a number of movies that were originally considered box office failures.

Because they would have seen everything else at that point and would cave to see how "bad" it is.

GB is doing just as well as other movies that have been called "hits". It's societal misogyny to claim it's a flop.

they'll probably pick star trek

>I've seen everything in theatres, might as well cave and see Ghostbusters.

I just want Thor to be in a flick that isn't shitty and/or a massive flop, fellas.

Examples

You seriously think couples that go to theaters actually plan on seeing a movie?

i want to fuck that bunny. ape

>Moving the goalposts till the whole field is surrounded like Thunderdome

You still haven't given any other reason for seeing Ghostbusters besides "They'll cave, you'll see!" and "People who just walk in the door will for some reason pick Ghostbusters."

Nobody fucking cares cos Suicide Squad is right over the horizon

You talk like you never been with a girl, and yes most couples go to the the fucking movie

IT'S GONNA DO GREAT
>it doesn't
IT'S DOING FINE OK SHITLORD

If this post was unironic then thanks for the laff

Where do you think you are? This isn't Sup Forums.
You don't always have to be right. I have an opinion that it might make money.
Quit while your ahead. No one likes a smartass.

Looks like Sony might just have to scrap their plans to re-boot Mary Poppins with a nigger tranny in the lead role....

I saw it on a Tumblr whose name escapes me.

can't we just get BEYOND thunderdome?

>I have an opinion that it might make money.
>might make money.

It's a bit late for that tbqh lad.

>Projected 10 million dollar weekend
>Dropped to 8th place

is Star Trek second week and the movie is doing decently so people will probably pick this instead of GB. Next Week comes Suicide Squad and with the reviews that they are getting is going to be them from now on in fact the toys they are gonna outperform GB in every way

Source? If it makes 10 MIL this week it may barely make it's production budget back.

The next Thor movie should be badass, and I think if it doesn't make it then just give up on it because the story is insane

Thor and Hulk are trapped and forced to fight in some interstellar Gladiator tournament to fight raging warriors from all over the universe

They did it because they have a certain amount of slots for foreign movies and can't bring all of them over. They also hate women and blacks so it might have helped, too.

Ok, so Sup Forums only likes movies that are profitable?

This is a really fucking stupid post.

Sup Forums never like Ghostbusters to begin with, but seeing the general public agreeing with their wallets gives Sup Forums a raging boner unlike any other

>Sup Forums never like Ghostbusters to begin with
[citation needed]

Hopefully this means Paul Fieg will never work again.

>Hopefully this means Paul Fieg will never work again.

This.

bombing makes me feel good

>Sony Exec
>It”’s the greatest thing that ever happened. Are you kidding me? We’re in the national debate, thank you. Can we please get some more haters to say stupid things?”

>they actually fell for the "any publicity is good publicity" meme

how do these people keep their jobs?

Reminder that bad moms targets the same demographic and just released, ghostbusters will drop below 10 million this weekend.

nope
they'll prob let him go back to making 20-35million dollar movies
melissa will prob never work with feig again (distance herself from him to prove she can make a 100+mil movie without him)
the rest will probably end up as second or third tier actresses (only listed in the end credits, never headling a movie solo unless there is a strong male lead and she is the love interest or secondary character)

Don't they need to overcome the marketing budget too? And the theatre cut?

Wouldn't 144 mil still be a loss?

It's illegal to portray spirits in Chinese media as it is disrespectful of the dead.

each weekend progressively lowers by about 50%, this is true for nearly every film with a wide release. the first weekend for GB was 46mil, second was 21mil. this garantees that this weekend will be in the ballpark of 10mil

>500 million to even make a profit
>s-sequel is totally confirmed guys

No, they'll go and see Star Trek.

youtube.com/watch?v=OG83qBuQ_A8

>bad moms targets the same demographic
why, because it also is a comedy starring women? what a sexist assumption.

>Wouldn't 144 mil still be a loss?

Yes.

remember that after the first week studios only take around 50% of box office. making back production budget on paper isnt even enough for that itself

The same demo of people who like low brow humour and buy tickets to Adam Sandler movies.

>Wouldn't 144 mil still be a loss?
There's that structural misogyny again.

He's asking you for reasons behind your opinion, though. If you have an opinion, it's important to identify that opinion and where it came from. It's easy to be swayed by media or charismatic acquaintances if you don't have the presence of thought to form an opinion and examine what made you form that opinion. If you can't even defend how you feel, then why should you feel that way?

yeah dammit - considering net versus gross is patriarchal!

nigga comics are a dead medium, marvel was going bankrupt before the first iron-movie hits, Spider-man is one of the A-list super heroes and of course it has buzz but it sure as hell wasn't because of the comics

Yeah, according to feminists numbers are literally misogynist.

>>they actually fell for the "any publicity is good publicity" meme
>how do these people keep their jobs?
Your quote came from Tom Rothman. The same Rothman who was fired from Fox because he organised Fant4stic. So no, he didn't keep his job, he just got hired by Sony.

Gross =/= how much the production studio makes. They'd have to make 288 million to earn back the production budget. And then there's the marketing budget to consider.

if I'm going to see a movie I've been waiting for, I tell her before hand to not ask questions during the movie or she walks home, if its a movie she wants to see, its obviously pleb tier and she needs to let me finger her during it or shes walking home.

cmon tv.

...which was probably about 100 million. So they'd need another 200 million gross to cover it. To break even as a whole, the movie needs to gross about 488 million, or about 500 million as Paul Feig said in that interview. Earning only 150 million or so is far too low.

so, you're excited for the CGI wankfest?

always

aren't you?

>mfw the movie will probably make about $190M
>the income will be split between studio and the cinemas
>Ghostbusters will make a huge loss

It's not a flop, it's institutionalised misogyny.

You'd think they'd know better after Snakes on a Plane tanked

Lol.
>being this wrong.

No. The studio does not get every dollar earned. This shit should be elementary. You should know this if you've ever worked in your life.

All of that is true though

Theres that female idiocy again.

The best part is the Jewry with proportions: all of those movies exceeded opening expectations and some stayed at top their second week.
Half of abject dissapointment is despair, not hope.

I still don't understand why the budget had to be 144 million. It's a fucking comedy movie.

neon shit is costly
animatronics ordered and made (but not used)

What the fuck kinda retarded logic is this?

do you just lurk here all day to post that shit video?
nobody cares, you're not talented nor funny nor exploitable. this is not how you go viral. nobody ever cared about this crap. stop it

I literally just came back from seeing Star Trek (loved it) and the theater was still full. No one was there buying tickets for ghostbusters. The movie has earned what ever it is it will earn

>Other action movies
>Movie only has one scene that could even be called "action" and it's ridiculously out of place.

>after the first week studios only take around 50% of box office.
Care to explain? Im just a dumb fuck who has never heard about this. Genuinely curious.

star trek is a legendary property that will always make money ; its currently #1 right now, on dvd/bluray itll take off and the trekkie nerds will still follow it like they still do the original series. Ghost busters shouldnt be compared, startrek wasnt banned in China

Yea it is true that star trek opened #1 and ghostbusters failed to do that

>Thats because it was banned in china.
1) It wasn't banned in China. The studio decided not to try to release it in China because they didn't think it would do well there.

2) A vast majority of Hollywood films never get a Chinese release and still do well at the box offices. This is largely because China only allows 32 (iirc) foreign movies into their country's theaters every year.

3) Foreign studios only get a portion of what movies make in China, so it hardly matters anyways.

5 because four is an unlucky number in China) If it did as well as Pixels did in China (which I think is a fair movie to compare it to), it still wouldn't have been enough.

The new Star Trek film is good, though.

>The same Rothman who was fired from Fox because he organised Fant4stic.

He wasn't even around when Fant4stic got filmed, though.

Whoah