Does Sup Forums love or hate melon?

I'm getting mixed vibes

He's just okay, but I have a lot of respect for how successful he's become.

He's my spirit animal

xD

he's a normie magnet

I only watch his positive reviews. If he likes something, it's probably good, but if he dislikes something, it's not necessarily bad.

he has le epic memes xD

I'd hatefuck him. So idk tbqh

mu is inherently contrarian in all things.

mu used to love the melon, then when he got mainstream appeal, a lot of mutants turned on him (and pretend that they've never liked him) despite the fact that he's remained basically the same the entire time. you'll note this is basically the same cycle mu goes through with most "patrician" artists that enter the mainstream.

the melon is leagues better than p4k, Scaruffi, Christgau, etc. even if you disagree with the melon more often than not, there's no world in which he's not the best at what he does

meh reviews, ok opinions, totally cancerous fanbase

I was watching this dude when he was still using musical clips in his songs, he really has gone insanely downhill since then jesus christ

same.

basically this.

Scaruffi >>>>>>>> Fantano

He doesn't really offer anything too special. Makes kids with shit taste like okay albums because they think he's some kind of musical genius and want to mimic what he likes. Overall 5/10 person.

please, Scaruffi focuses too much on context and on how his opinion makes him look. He also uses other artists to describe an artist's sound constantly, which always pisses me off.

Why can't fantanofags get over the fact that someone doesn't genuinely like him? His reviews are stupid and often boring, he doesn't know anything about music theory or production, he just throw in some made up buzzwords that rarely make any sense. Among his "albums of the year" there is always some stupid safe hipsterish hip hop stuff that any white kid subscribed to his channel like. I really can't understand what is the appeal with him

>melon gave an album he liked a low score

Why are you asking this? How new are you?

>He also uses other artists to describe an artist's sound constantly, which always pisses me off.
What are you trying to say here.

Scaruffi talks too much about context. He's better than p4k and Christgau but I wouldn't call him better than the melon (even when I have a lot of disagreements with him).

mu isn't one person, dipshit

What do you mean by context?

from his MBDTF review:
>feeling more like a Wagner symphony than a hip-hop album
>with trumpet fanfares and a melody reminiscent of DHT's Listen To Your Heart
>propels Devil In A New Dress over a languid Pink Floyd-ian symphonic adagio
> a soulful Sting-like ballad.
Basically describing "this song sounds like this artist, this other song sound like this other artist"
I get that it's a useful tool and that Fantano uses it too, but Scaruffi goes way overboard with it.

>What do you mean by context?
He considers himself a music historian before a music critic, and it shows. He cares too much about an album's influence/originality when giving scores. Fantano is fine giving an album that is not necessarily revolutionary a score above a 7 because the music is very good

He talks too much about the history behind the records and how influential they are. Nothing wrong about it, but it's wrong to use it as basically the only thing that matters.

we all love melon here

His entire ethos as a critic is to rate albums by how original and innovative they are. It's extremely useful for finding unique music. Fantano rates albums entirely based on his personal opinions, and he doesn't even seem to have any knowledge of music theory to back his opinions up. Every time you watch a Fantano video you're basically spending 10 minutes listening to some pleb poorly describe why he likes or dislikes a particular album. At least Scaruffi's reviews have a degree of objectivity. If he rates an album highly you can be fairly certain it's at least going to be somewhat interesting regardless of whether it's good or not. Fantano's scores mean basically nothing outside of his own opinions.

love him or hate him you still watch him so in the end he wins

that sounds fucking retarded
>a critic criticises something but i dont think thats true at all what is criticism any way haha lole

I don't really care for him but I have him as a favorite on RYM because my taste is kinda similar to his.

He's a fabulous straightedge villain who shits on pretty much everything I like and enjoy, which includes, but is not limited to:

1) string sections
2) pop melodies
3) lush arrangements
4) prog lyrics
5) getting drunk
6) eating meat
7) dance rhythms
8) having hair
9) layered instruments
10) Barack Obama
11) the idea of songs having a chorus
12) tasteful facial hair
13) ignorant rap
14) having a normal BMI
15) living a meme-free life

He gleefully transgresses against all of these, my most cherished traditions, and then he smiles in my face with his perfect, baldly-white teeth and six billion viewers and says (very baldly)...

...U KNO THIS IS JUS MY OPINION, RITE???

Oh how I love to hate the melon.

why would he go deep into music theory when his reviews are for mass consumption, wtf? That's like getting mad a film reviewer doesn't get deep into camerawork and script technicalities when reviewing why a film is worth watching. You Melon haters are seriously retarded.

Melon does a good enough job articulating his opinions and getting down to the brass tacks about why an album is worth a listen. You just can't handle his opinion so you get butthurt.

well that's exactly the problem with my friend Scaruffi. He is a music historian first and a music critic second (he says so), Fantano is an actual music critic, so who's gonna come ahead when determining who is the better critic? There is no objectivity to music, and as much as treating music objectively is the entire bases of discussion on Sup Forums it's just not true. Personally i never listen to/read reviews, but of what i've read by Scaruffi and what i've watched by Fantanto, Fantano is clearly more honest and sincere, Scaruffi is obsessed with his image.

Also, it is true that Scaruffi understands music theory greatly, but it doesn't show much in his reviews, this a very shitty way of reviewing:

I respect what he does, but I also hate it. I wish Sup Forums could pay less atention to what he says.

The age of the rotten melon has come to an end on Sup Forums

The age of Spectrum Pulse is nye, please welcome /ournewguy/ to our humble abode

Sup Forums isn't a single person and it's full of contrarianism why do people think questions like this will get them anywhere

I love to watch him give my favorite new release a light 6, list the most boring songs form the album as his favorites, and then use wikipedia searches to make me feel stupid before he memes on me and tells me fuck SJWs and Bernie would have won.

maybe to start discussion on their opinion of melon?

He almost never reviews things I like

if memetano played clips of the music during the videos I'd actually watch all his stuff - just really short clips

would really enhance the viewing experience

copyright laws might get his videos pulled by youtube though, he's played some music in some of his videos but those are on thin ice, people can still flag them.

yah I would definitely flag them cuz one time he made fun of a musician I like

i like him generally, some of his scores I disagree with but he articulates himself well and I respect his opinion

his fanbase is shitty and the meme review shit is stupid but whatever

just a guy doing what he likes

I can respect that

I love Melon more than I love myself

I don't like how he pretends he's just a dude who likes to talk about music and not a person who has expertly marketed himself to become easily the biggest name in professional music criticism.

It's like a news pundit on CSPAN being like "I never said I was a journalist I just like talking about the news and shit so don't hold me to the shit I say."

explain how he expertly marketed himself to become easily the biggest name in professional music criticism

I wanna do that too.

He showed himself quite confident on the DAMN. review tho.

Okay well you need to:

1) take videojournalism courses
2) work in the AV department of your college
3) be a real go-getter and start reviewing music for your college
4) invest in quality recording equipment and editing software
5) notice that there's a gap in the market for videojournalism music reviews
6) start a youtube channel for music reviews to fill that gap
7) edit your videos with trendy jumpcuts and visual effects
8) spam your video reviews on Sup Forums
9) start a twitter account for your video review channel and start tweeting them at famous musicians
10) spam your video reviews on rap forums
11) make a website dedicated to your youtube video review channel and make a link for donations
12) print t-shirts and sell them
13) record albums in character as characters from your video review channel and put the albums on spotify

years of hard work relentless self-marketing only to tell me at the end of it that he's just saying his opinion and who cares I shouldn't take it so seriously

I can't understand how anyone can like the Cal character, is he trying to be funny? If he's trying to make me cringe he's doing a pretty well job at that.

Oh well maybe I'm just better than anyone

yeah he's been able to make money off his reviews through a sound plan, that doesn't mean you should take his reviews that seriously.

Of course he has some level of professionality, he's been in the game for over 10 years. If you watch his older videos, you can see for yourself he didn't always have fancy editing and camerawork; also his blog is older than his youtube channel. He didn't 'expertly market himself' more than simply being one of the first.

The reason he's taking such a held-back stance on his opinions is because music taste is highly subjective, and he realizes that. Comparing music reviews to newscasting is just nonsense.

Melon is a complete fucking hack. MUH million subscribers on YouTube. Fuck off, he's absolute cancer and his taste is RYM-metalkiddo tier. Fuck you fantano, I know you're reading this thread you cagey self absorbed fuck

he's annoying and unfunny but occasionally on point when it comes to the musical analysis

his "fans" are really what elevates him to cancer status

>spam your video reviews on 4 chan
lol

love him

this guy used to make me cringe, but now I think he's an even better reviewer than Fantano

He's able to make entertaining yet informative reviews without having to rely on memes or characters like Cal.