Any hackers lurking right now? i got a question and would appreciate your (input)

any hackers lurking right now? i got a question and would appreciate your (input)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5LlQNty_C8s
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/92635/windows-temporary-files
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go

need some help from some smart computer tech hacker type people.

lets say you were transferring a large folder with lots of files, but the cable got unplugged at like 98% done. there is now a large 1gb temporary file on the computer, but it is unopenable, because its a temp file of the folder that was being transferred. is there a way to get the 98% of the data that DID successfully transfer? asking because i dont have the original source anymore

im assuming hundreds or thousands of individual files are phsyically allocated or written somewhere on the hard disk, but since the entire folder never completed the transfer they are invisible. i tried using delete recovery software but they didnt find anything...im guessing because the file extensions never showed up in the operating system because the folder holding the files never finished the transfer

I am the hacker known as Sup Forums, ask you're question

thanks, heres my question basically, folder containing thousands of files was in process of copying from one hard drive to another, then cut out just short of completion.

a large temporary file of the folder remains on the target hard disk, the source is now gone. can i get any of the files somehow?

how does an OS handle transfers of files? do files transfer entirely before going to the next one? if so, i should be able to recover some of the ones that did transfer somehow, but this is where i am stuck

Just open it in the rar app, or put nanually the extensions

it was a plain windows folder filled with thousands of files. the destination hard disk only has one gigantic temp file, there is no way to manually label extensions

when transferring a large plain folder, does windows convert the folder into an archive or something?

In computers all the others listed as either one or zero.
All it does when it sees a file folder is start at the top left of all the ones and zeros in the folder and start copying or moving it doesn't even separate out each file until it has completely moved everything within the folder

ok that is good news then, it sounds like if that is the case, there is still 98% of the files there somehow, i just have to figure out how to extract them from this temporary file that windows made

any ideas on how to separate out the files? is there software that can scan and recognize the 1s and 0s as the beginning and end of file types?

I'll be honest I've never actually successfully sorted out files of more than one type. I had this happen once when transferring a ton of music and there was a program that let me sort it out by filtering it as an mp4. But that was one file type. And a decade ago.

Yeah there is

Download the program called iChuntil

It seperates everything and makes it readable again

recovery software and scan the directory for deleted files. most likely the files are actually there but not mapped as files in the filesystem.

Oh shit triple 4 he is real

How about you take the files and doubleclick the files? Works for me everytime

many thanks guys, i will try this

>iChuntil
you got a link? all that comes up on google for me is minecraft mods

Download from this vid man:
youtu.be/5LlQNty_C8s

your files were they compressed?
maybe you could try some sort of decompressing utility recognizes them...

no they were not compressed, just a few thousand sitting in one regular folder which i tried to copy over

i just dont know enough about how the operating system handles copying files to know if the data is recoverable or not

>i got a question and would appreciate your (input)

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/92635/windows-temporary-files

>support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/92635/windows-temporary-files
thanks, doesnt apply to my situation though

post the file online and i'm sure some Sup Forumsro will be able to get the data out for you