What the fuck was a big ass cliff doing like this in the middle of iowa?

What the fuck was a big ass cliff doing like this in the middle of iowa?

Quarry?

Isn't it established in First Contact that World War 3 and a some pretty major devastation happens between present day and the formation of Starfleet? I don't think Spock Prime erased that.

Why was young Kirk tryna go all Thelma & Louise? His stepdad did nothing wrong.

i know there was some shit that went down in ENT, but it was in florida.

all that we know is there was a nuke war, but even nukes cant make a canyon that large.

what about PHASER NUKES!?

gotta get them resources for spaceships somewhere

>enterprise is being built on earth
>not being built in a space dock

is there anything jar jar abrams can do right?

They mention in Beyond that only the early NX class ships were built in space.

but fucking why, when they were all built in space in original timeline?

Something something different timeline

just cause it's a different timeline they can do shit that literally makes no sense?

did they not know there's a reason you can't build a ship that big on a planet?

JewJew probably just wanted some nice shots of it being built in the film and didn't think someone like yourself would be this upset about it.

I mean it's Star Trek. It doesn't adhere to science. They could easily argue that they have some tech that allows them to take off from earth.

well i guess you could with the engine tech they have (it regularly goes in and out of planetary gravity wells), but it's a ton of extra effort for no reason

i hate jj abrams but he is the ultimate pleb filter

> star trek doesn't adhere to science
> except, old show had ships built in space because its the only way that makes sense

ok bro

If you are trying to argue Star Trek adheres to science and are using TOS as proof, you need to get out.

its mostly reference for canon, fambam.

no, the movies show ships being built in space too, maybe other series but i'm not sure

i'm just saying that most previous star trek at tried to at least make sense, even with amazing technology, building a huge structure under the influence of gravity takes more energy than doing it in space

It's a fucking quarry...

Hey man, I get your complaint. I'm just saying it's a new universe so it's not really a big deal.

no, it's stupid flashy shit just for the sake of stupid flashy shit

it's literally all you need to see to realize all the new star trek movies are literally made just to make money off of
1 - people who don't know what star trek is and like flashy stupid shit
2 - grudging star trek fans who will see the movie even though they know they won't like it

this, deshita...

autistic doesn't mean wrong

"Naa senpai, my captain was too shitty to give us phasers, so i'll use this sword to defeat you instead".

The Utopia Planitia shipyards probably didn't exist yet.

The giant gashes in Iowa that OP mentioned were probably mines/quarries to get the resources to build the ships on the surface, then they'd just fly them out into space once completed.

Orbital construction would be a much bigger logistical proposition. I'd imagine Utopia uses redirected asteroids for their resources.

The nu-Enterprise is capable of exiting a planet's gravity well from the surface under it's own power.
They showed it taking off from underwater and zooming off into space during the pre-titles sequence for Into Darkness.

It's not uncommon for Star Trek ships, as big as they seem, Voyager landed on planets a bunch of times.

>he thinks autistic people, who often obsess endlessly about specific subjects to the point of intricately researching every single aspect of them..... are WRONG about said subjects

My sides. Oh, my fucking SIDES. If your day job doesn't work out, stand up comedy is waiting in the wings for you!!!

Pretty obvious that's not natural. I wish Iowa had cool shit like that. There's a decent amount of interesting landscape, but most states blow us out of the water. Also I only just now realized they played sabotage because that's what Kirk was listening to on that motorcycle in this scene, hence the mischievous little grin to go along with destroying a fleet with the power of music and surfing through it like a wave. So fuckin siiiiiick!

well, he is gay so it must be a part of his greater delusion and mental health defect.

That scene always bothered me. Before it cuts to him swerving the car, it's obvious he's too close to escape.

yeah i know, that's what i said.
still doesn't make sense to build it on a planet

Earth went through a few civil wars of various kinds including ones with nuclear attacks between "now" aka our modern real-life era and the timeline presented in the original storyline created by Gene Roddenberry so, a lot of shit could have happened that could potentially have caused that gap to have formed.

Last I recall Iowa most a lot of farmland and grass-laden empty spaces and not the fucking dustbowl presented in the movie, either, but I don't see people bitching about that aspect.