Ultimate Zackino?

So, since Snyder has been fueling a lot of conversation on here, I thought I'd watch this.

What the fuck? Is this secretly Snyder's masterpiece? This movie is not only completely insane, but perhaps one of the most sneakily multilayered films to ever come out of the studio system.

Most people seem to think that this is just a stupid, sexy girls kick ass movie. I did too... before I saw it.

I read a couple articles and saw a video on the "hidden, true meaning" of this film... and if you choose to examine it seriously, it seems to actually be a legitimately intelligent critique of female objectification and the commodification of female sexuality.

I have never been this fucking confused.
Is Snyder actually a genius? Everyone can admit he makes pretty movies... but I'm starting to think that he might be a legitimately intelligent filmmaker and criminally misunderstood.

Other urls found in this thread:

thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2011/04/‘sucker-punch’-a-feminist-perspective
vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/sucker-punch-or-how-to-make-monarch-mind-control-sexy-7-2/
practicaltheorist.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/is-zack-snyders-sucker-punch-a-radical-feminist-deconstruction-of-action-movies/
slashfilm.com/video-you-dont-understand-sucker-punch
youtube.com/watch?v=5gXir4Pu0f0
youtube.com/watch?v=qQm1rBqh53Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You are spot on with your observation

Zack is not perfect and has a number of flaws in some of the things he executes, but there literally is not another director out there who is making big budget films as thoughtful as Snyder.

It is worth noting that Zack was met with many challenges with the Studio regarding Sucker Punch, and not even the Extended Cut released is his true Director's Cut

Honestly one of the biggest challenges is he is making these films, and when it comes to intellectualism, there is a barrier with modern audiences, they are not looking to engage. On the opposite spectrum, people who dedicate themselves to critical analysis might not think to look beyond the surface of Zack's films as they would pre-judge a lot of his work as "capeshit" So in essence, his work becomes a much smaller niche. Audiences who are able to accept that genre cinema, and intellectual and thematic content are not mutually exclusive.

Oh please, his movies aren't thoughtful. He doesn't earn any of his lofty imagery or symbolism, it's all surface level. His idea of a 'serious movie' is elevating the conflict to a battle of ideologies with no consideration as to whether it will hold any weight. He's a simpleton. He's a fucking hack.

Furthermore, watch Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut, and think and look into what does this film have to say about America, the commodification and weaponization of fear, the role of power in our country and it's fetishization, and furthermore the role in religion and how it feeds into these various themes. Then see how these subjects tie in to the characters portrayed within the film and how they matter within the deconstructionist narrative.

That is interesting that the Extended Cut is not his dream cut... how was it different from the theatrical?

I do think Zack is misunderstood in part because of how he comes off in interviews. A lot of people think that just because of his "dude" drawl he must be unintelligent, and this leads them to dismiss his movies.

It's a real fucking shame because his movies are so much more than they appear to be.

You are right that modern audiences are not looking to engage... I think in our age of media hyper saturation, where we can go online and watch any movie we want with a few clicks, people are looking to categorize movies like never before. It's understandable, but an unfortunate symptom of having too much choice.

People want movies to be one thing - then dismiss any notions of deeper meaning... and this movie had a ton. Sucker Punch is actually an appropriate title - I feel like I just got Sucker Punched.

No. You're just shilling for him because you're a faggot.

He tries to make movies that mesh big action sequences and robots and explosions, with social commentary and ideas about whatever toipic he thinks is relevant or wants to talk about.

What actually comes from this thinking is a movie that is filled with action sequences that have literally no value or implication in the rest of the movie. If you watch SP again, and skip every single fight scene, it will turn into a half-assed story about womens rights and psychology and will make you want to kill yourself.

Same thing with BvS take out every fight scene, except for Doomsday, and the movie will be exactly the fucking same, except less entertaining

>I don't want to put the effort in to taking a movie seriously so I will just call it stupid
Kinda makes you look stupid tbqh

>action sequences have no value or implication in the rest of the movie
Sorry, what?
Do you actually watch the movies you critique?
In SP, the action scenes are multilayered fantasies reappropriating classic tropes and iconography associated with the male gaze. This parallels the disassociative mentality the main characters use to confront their sexualized confinement - using the very thing they are exploited for to exploit their captors, and in turn the audience. They are really essential to the story and the overall aesthetic and thesis of the film.

Also your complaint about BvS holds NO water. The fight scenes in that movie are fantastic, but the more political thriller aspect of the film also holds its own. I was never bored watching that film, in part because Snyder understands that the true power struggle within contemporary America is waged behind closed doors and fueled by money and fear. The violence is merely the byproduct. Remember when Alfred tells Bruce - "The Bat interrogated 3 men and walked away with nothing. It was Bruce Wayne who found the information" (paraphrasing there)

all I know is that there are potatoes in slow motion

>HURR DURRR HE'S A HACK
It's always interesting that pro-Zack people type out long, considered responses of substance... and anti-Zack people just say UHHH HE'S STUPID

I've yet to see a single anti-Zack post that reads as being thoughtful or intelligent. It's just "COME ON DUDE HE'S DUMB STOP BEING STUPID UGH"

The message and gist of it is the same, but the studio forced the cutting of the films original ending, a musical number that acted as a thematic coda but also a visual coda, ending in a curtain closing, as the movie began, it would be a more uplifting ending than the final theatrical cut, but was considered "too weird" by test audiences.

>HE'S DUMB BECAUSE I SAY SO. ONLY THE FIGHTS ARE ENTERTAINING
Yikes dude

Test audiences. Always ruining things.

>Watchmen > BvS > MoS > Sucker Punch > 300 > DotD

Haven't seen the Owl Movie.

1. Watchmen Ultimate Cut
2. Dawn of Justice Ultimate Cut
3. Sucker Punch
4. Man of Steel
5. 300
6. Legends of the Guardians
7. Dawn of the Dead

Sucker Punch is legitimately one of the absolute worst movies made of the 2010's, if not the absolute worst

Get some fucking taste, something being layered and complex doesn't necessarily make it good if it doesn't have anything to fucking say.

Sucker Punch is a pointless film that fails to be engaging even visually, with most scenes coming across as nothing more than a cobbled mess of poor editing, bad music covers, and lackluster choreography.

Absolutely SHIT "flick".

>I've yet to see a single anti-Zack post that reads as being thoughtful or intelligent. It's just "COME ON DUDE HE'S DUMB STOP BEING STUPID UGH"

Does anyone have the Hitler image that makes fun of these kinds of psots, where the guy is screaming at him and Hitler just goes "Well all I wanted to do is kill all the Jews, I'm sorry geez."

It's impossible to take you or your points seriously when you try and argue the "Well I've never seen anyone who has a real argument against me because of my pure intellectual might, now if you excuse me I need to float away on my gigantic fedora."

> female objectification and the commodification of female sexuality.

No.

But it's a great film

it's not any of that but it's still kino

In SP, the action scenes are multilayered fantasies reappropriating classic tropes and iconography associated with the male gaze. This parallels the disassociative mentality the main characters use to confront their sexualized confinement - using the very thing they are exploited for to exploit their captors, and in turn the audience. They are really essential to the story and the overall aesthetic and thesis of the film.

/tumblr/ go out

This is the best example of the "2deep4u" meme. People who think it's brilliant are just sophomoric, and they think everyone who didn't like it is just dumber than they are.

took me a 1 second google search

On the surface it looks like a complete and utter turd. That is what you are supposed to think, but secretly it's the best movie of all time. You just have to look really hard to see it. Once you do you won't regret it. I have watched this every day for the past 5 years and it has changed my life. I also no longer have penis or a sense of reality.

you think people confuse snyders movies with finchers movies?

they tend to have the same tint, and the cgi , minus time dilation seems pretty similar.

Looking at that list is like looking into a toilet that badly needs flushing.

those are all snyder?

wtf i love zack now

Did you only read the last sentence

Sucker Punch (Extended Cut) was a treatise on the objectification of women as seen through the eyes of various nerd subcultures. The prism by which the movie is shown self reflects to the viewer their own ugliness.

It's a hypnotizing take on psychological trauma. It cleverly turns it into an esoteric, theatrical, fantasy extravaganza. Its own nakedness makes people feel shameful and uncomfortable.

It's a movie that literally hates its own audience and spits on them.

>"“I wanted to rub the human race in its own vomit, and force it to look in the mirror.”" - J.G. Ballard

If that isn't true kino, I don't fucking know what is.

>thebottomline.as.ucsb.edu/2011/04/‘sucker-punch’-a-feminist-perspective

>vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/sucker-punch-or-how-to-make-monarch-mind-control-sexy-7-2/

>practicaltheorist.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/is-zack-snyders-sucker-punch-a-radical-feminist-deconstruction-of-action-movies/

>slashfilm.com/video-you-dont-understand-sucker-punch

>You are wrong about Sucker Punch by The Escapist
>youtube.com/watch?v=5gXir4Pu0f0

>You Don't Understand Sucker Punch by Antisocial Commentary
>youtube.com/watch?v=qQm1rBqh53Y

I'm glad Wonder Woman basically looks like Sucker Punch 2. Can't wait.

>read alot of shit
>aspire to be one of the greats
>hey whats this CGI thing?
>make movies
>place meaning on them after they are made, or at least storyboarded out
>get paid, get bitches, get fame

I have a feeling zach is just making fun movies, then looking at what he did then place some significant meaning on it.

Feminist bullshit isn't kino, fuck of back to plebbit.

Duck you Sucker

>batman uses a noob tube
>"The fight scenes in that movie are fantastic"

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes, he can squeeze the most out of his cookie-cutter shit, but in the end it's still cookie-cutter shit. He tries to make intellectual stuff within the conventional narrative he has learned to work in, and he doesn't wish to do more than that. He's not a bad filmmaker, just a bland one because he doesn't have his own voice.

kino

You're right, and then on a second viewing you realize that what you're watching is an opinion piece from a guy who equates sexualization with fucking rape who also really fucking hates nerds. Zach Snyder loathes men almost as much as Paul Feig does, and Sucker Punch showcases it pretty neatly.

Sucker Punch may have something to say, but what it has to say is pure garbage.