How do you defeat depression without killing yourself...

How do you defeat depression without killing yourself? I have no desire to die but also I have no desire to talk to anyone about my feelings. This started about two years ago.

What do?

Pic related it's basically how I feel 72% of the time

Can't even get a reply on Sup Forums

This is my life now

shut up fag, your coming on b to ask about depression. as someone who has major depression, all i can tell you is that suicidal thoughts will keep coming. you cant lower them by THE CORRECT KIND OF MEDS FOR YOU ( currently on prozac and its working great ), and by speaking to a therapist. I wanted to kill myself or just be homeless because I didnt give a fuck where my life would be headed so then I tried killing myself and got put into a ward. 8 days I had stayed there and gotten the help i needed to over come it. shit doesnt work for everyone, I know several people that have been to wards 10+ times but its better than dying and its a start in the right direction.

I think you should look it up on internet because there are plentyful of helpful things. One of important things is sport and gymnastics (Which I hadnt done while I was depressed). Anyway, best of luck with this awful condition of yours.

oops meant you CAN lower them.

Yea I delt with it for a while and no matter what I did the suicidal ideation wouldn't go away until I eventually failed at a suicide attempt, hospitalized, and hospitalized again lol. I recently was hospitalized again and this go around I'm on meds that make me feel a lot better about life in gen. See about finding a psychologist to talk to and see a psychiatrist for meds. You could probably talk to your primary for a referral to see a psychiatrist.

bump

GF had / still has depression.
Used to be pretty bad, she almost became an hero once.

One of the ways we got to battling it was just talking about feelings in the current moment and then working your way back to why you feel that way.

Say, you woke up, saw a picture of some pet you had as a kid and became sad.
Throughout the day you feel like shit, end of the day you are full on depressed and probably forgot the trigger was the photo of said pet.
My GF and I did this every night till I talked out the core issue in her life pretty much. The initial 'trigger' that caused the depression, and we are currently working rather hard to find a solution to make sure the triggers don't happen.

Depression always has a solution, and it's NOT meds. if anything it makes it worse. It's like an alcoholic saying he or she is fine, but that's only when they are drunk, when they are sober their insides hurt and they crave the buzz. Meds are only a bandaide to the problem.

Change your gender, then become a feminist and blame all men.

The main thing to remember that helped me is that depression is an illness, it's not just you or a part of your personality, it's something that makes you unwell that can be contained and fended off to the point where it disappears.
When it hit me really hard 18 or so months ago I felt completely alone, felt like my life was over and nothing I did had any sort of purpose to it. I tried St Johns Wort for it and that did fuck all which I expected, I changed my lifestyle to include exercise and a better diet and that helped in a big way but I still had symptoms.
I was shit scared of going to the doctor for medication because I thought it would turn me into a zombie or numb to all emotion even the positive ones, but that's just not the case now.
When I sat down with the doctor I was surprised how little I had to explain, I was dreading talking about emotions and how I felt but he reached his decision fairly quickly. He put my on 50MG sertraline and I felt different after 2 days. It became a lot easier to cut through the malaise and after a week or so the symptoms had reduced to the point where I didn't feel numb anymore. The meds didn't cure me, they just gave me the ability to fight the symptoms off myself.
I seriously cannot recommend talking to your doctor enough

Thanks guys.

I hope things keep getting better for you, user.

So much of what you said is how I feel but I can't shake off how much I don't want to go on meds. I do not want to live the rest of my life taking meds. Today's just a really bad day for me, most days are good now.

Glad things are working out for you.

>Depression always has a solution, and it's NOT meds. if anything it makes it worse. It's like an alcoholic saying he or she is fine, but that's only when they are drunk, when they are sober their insides hurt and they crave the buzz. Meds are only a bandaide to the problem.

not true, I'm and meds were just a tool for me to cut through the symtoms and let the positive changes I'd made in my life come through and do their work. I've been off the meds now for over a year with absolutely no adverse effects and no sign of symptoms.

Find hobbies that interest you, instead of sitting around thinking do something productive, go outside in nature more often, try to realize all the small things in life that you have, it can always be worse, life is unfair, but you can't be happy focusing on the negative things.

It's a decision only you can make man, but my advice is what the fuck you got to lose? That's what I said to myself. I felt completely deflated all day every day and got to a point where I thought I'd try them, and if they didn't work I'd just come off them and I'd have not gained or lost anything.

Another thing that put my mind at rest in a big way was talking to my doctor about how scared I was about the horror stories I'd heard about meds, and he broke it all down to me about how the old meds were very invasive and would affect dopamine levels adversely as well as positively, but the new medication doesn't directly effect dopamine at all I works on a different less invasive level to that. I'm fucking it up he explained it to me a lot better, but the long and short of it is that the medication really has advanced.
I was only meds for 3 months by the way, after that I felt mentally strong enough and well enough to carry on without them and haven't touched them or felt the need to since. Something I never thought I'd say 18 months ago.

Tou have to learn to connect, to bond with things and people you love. If you sit around and think, yyou will definitely get depressed if that's your cross to bear. Go outside, take a walk, try harder to bond with people, play vidya, smoke weed, just find anything that you can do to feel connected because otherwise it will just be the end for you if not physically then emotionally. Fucking go for a joy ride, just go sprinting around and climb buildings or explore, do anything you can op because for people like us depression is our peragotive so just deal with it.

>I wanted to kill myself or just be homeless because I didnt give a fuck where my life would be headed
:O
same!

I've done this, and it helped a lot. I just need to keep after it.

You're completely right and I know it. Idk, maybe I'll try it. It's just the normal doctor that gives the prescription? I figured I'd have to go talk to a therapist first

Went through it for years and came out the other side.
Tips...

Get up every day at a reasonable time. Shower, shave and wear clean clothes.
Go out every day. Even if it's just to go for bread and milk. Build routines.
See others and act normal. If you act normal enough you'll feel normal.
This is not bullshit: It takes time, but it works. If there's anyway of contacting people privately on this bombsite, be in touch and I'll help if I can.

anyone ever cut themselves? what's it like? i want to try it but i keep pussying out

only losers use "depression" as an excuse for being a weak willed faggot

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. They're largely about developing awareness of your habits, mental and otherwise, and consciously changing them so you're not doing things that make you feel bad. Very practical and hands-on.

Fuck everyone else op, let me tell you how I did it.

>Army Infantry vet
>Depression before Army, worse after
>Drank everyday. Felt better for a while.
>Got worse and worse, couldn't do anything. Doing anything was a major chore.
>Take meds/psychologist meetings
>meds make me worse than alcohol.
>try different meds
>Even worse
>Try yet a different med
>Worse worse worse
>Wife recommends marijuana (legal in my state)
>I do research.
>Learn difference between indica, hybrid, sativa.
>Smoke some sativa. Suddenly happy. Want to do dishes, clean my room, take care of house, mow lawn, etc. Things which were impossible before.
>Enjoy going out to eat with wife and kids, instead of dreading the monthly experience.
>Working on a book, website, music, and more.
This year has been great. I never thought I could feel better until I tried pot. Sativa/sativa hybrid is the best for depression IMO. Buy a little indica for nights when you cant sleep.

I got the new zelda last week for the wiiu so thats been the new thing lol

Speak to a professional about it, Get some therapy at the local place, closest to you.

Yeah I went to my normal GP that I've always had. If anything you can just voice your concerns once he's diagnosed you then make a decision off of that, nobody is forcing you.
Also really want to emphasise that exercise WORKS I started riding my bike 10 miles a day. Picked a cool route through the countryside, put in my headphones and just did it. I felt so good after it, and I slept better and generally felt like I had more energy. All that stuff about it increasing dopamine levels and the receptivity of your internal reward system is all true, I learnt that for myself.

those are the cutest little tootsies i've ever seen god dammit

Yeah, I've only worked out once this year. Used to go running several times a week and worked out on the other days.

I genuinely feel better. Thank you to everyone out there and good luck to those dealing with it too. Tomorrow's gonna be a better day.

I'd like to suck your toes

eyy good luck fam, just remember that it's just an illness you can get over, like any other.
Glad I could help

that is hailee steinfeld

Well, not being a stubborn bastard is a good start. That'd probably work out well for me. Unless you actively and consciously do things to keep yourself depressed, you are not your depression.
After that point, I don't have any advice other than "stop doing that shit, you know it's bad for you". And that isn't working for me, so good fucking luck.