Why haven't you listened to the jazz AOTY yet?

Why haven't you listened to the jazz AOTY yet?

I had, it ain't that good

Injuries was better

I thought this could have done with being a bit less complicated. Sometimes, two or three chords felt like too much and the rhythm section's vamps should have been shorter and more simplistic.

Because jazz is dead

I did listen to it and it's far from the best jazz album this year. It just sounds like a worse version of Fire Orchestra and Fire Orchestra isn't even that good.

Because Jazz is boring

what are some better ones then

Craig Taborn - Daylight Ghosts
Miguel Zenon - Tipico

jazz is in a sorry state if that's the aoty

Pleb

Don't worry, it's only rock fans who think so

Chris Potter - The Dreamer is the Dream
Tigran Hamasyan - An Ancient Observer
Collin Vallon - Danse
Miles Okazaki - Trickster
Tomasz Stanko - December Avenue
Matthew Shipp - Piano Song

and

jtg drones fuck off

Fuck you. Jtg doesn't own good jazz music.

>good
he sure doesn't

didn't know Collin Vallon released a new albuù, I'll have to check it out

Bussonnet / Collignon / Godin / Vaillant - Wax'in
Kevin Eubanks - Eat west time line
Pierre Boussaguet - Le semeur
Madness tenors - Be jazz for jazz
Hadouk - Le cinquième fruit
Naïssam Jalal & rhythms of resistance - Almat wala almazala
Francois Carrier - Freedom is space for the spirit
Jens Kristian Andersen - From the nocturnal chironian
Mihaly Dresch - Zea
Louis Sclavis - Asian fields variations

It's pretty fantastic. I love the title track in particular. The way the bass and drums clash over the piano kinda just breaks my head whenever I hear it. Collin's got this beautiful chord progression/melodic idea with loads of pretty voice leading but the bass and drums are playing this really disjointed accompaniment with a bunch of really sharp, sudden accents that trip the melody up all the time. It's got this compelling sense of nervousness and of constantly being in motion, but never being able to move forward. Even when the piano starts to gel with the weird rhythmic pattern in the accompaniment, the song ends right as it feels like they're finding their feet. It speaks to me as a shit dancer who can't get moving till I'm drunk enough and the night's nearly over.

jtg drones haven't even noticed that jtg just gave five stars to the Michäel Attias Quartet album

hey, I hadn't heard about this before

many cool Swedish musicians I like here - I'll check it out

It says 4 stars

hmh. so it does - I was absolutely sure it had 5 stars yesterday when I looked at his recent reviews ._O

maybe he fucked it up first or I can't read