Will there ever be a bigger pop star?

Will there ever be a bigger pop star?

There already is, but he might be too ahead of his time

yeth

haha, rite

likely, music will have a long history ahead. But mike is still the greatest

Maybe if in 100 years if the music industry cycles back to what it used to be, otherwise no

It's hard to imagine it because of the way the media is now--social media has made everything so fast-paced, so open, so democratic, so full of dissent and so overcrowded.

It's hard to imagine any artist starting out today having the kind of pervasive, saturated, consistent world renown that Michael Jackson had in the 80's and 90's. We kill our idols now.

But like this guy said, the future is a long time, and the media landscape will continue to change. And I don't see it moving in a straight line toward increased overcrowding and democracy.

So I'd say that it's more likely yes than no.

ha we were kind of thinking the same thing just with different conclusions

you know im right bitchass

goblins don't have the right

you know you want her

Kanye's like halfway there.

yes

i want her

i want her dead and buried

>consistent world renown
Bieber is massive and outselling MJ's records. Maybe one day he'll top the all time list.

Not to meme and hate on him but it's a shame given he has half the talent and iconism MJ had.

The only legitimate answer is Beyonce

well too bad, she lives on

that's exactly where god went wrong

Me.

I feel like if Madonna couldn't make herself as big as MJ when media wasn't as fast as now, and considering her potential and iconic status, it's gonna take a long time.

>Bieber is outselling MJ's records

"Never Say Never" outsold "This is It." Thriller is still the second-best-selling album of all time, and that's unlikely to change in the age of digital music.

>he has half the talent and iconism MJ had

Yeah, and A LOT of detractors! (like you!) I know a lot of you guys are kind of young, so it's hard to imagine a world in which almost everyone loves the most popular celebrities--a world in which Michael Jackson and Michael Jordan are gods among men and people treat them like the Pope.

We just don't worship celebrity the way we used to. Celebrities have instagram accounts and twitters and open sex lives. In the 90's they were symbols, Gods.

not bigger but Eminem in 2000s and Bieber nowadays are close

Madonna was just as big as MJ

What were Madonna's Thriller and Bad albums? I think the closest she got to universal recognition of an album upon release was through Erotica and even then it was because of scandals and shit.

I love Madonna's work and musically she does go toe to toe with MJ but she lacks the universal appeal and iconic status.

Tough titty, flyboy.

>Celebrities have instagram accounts and twitters and open sex lives. In the 90's they were symbols, Gods.

I disagree here, if anything media both social and traditional has only heightened this culture of celebrity worship. Fans linger on any word or press statement their icons give out, sit on fansite message boards all day, it's crazy. Remember the #cutforjustin thing or whatever it was called? Celebrities are just as idolised and influential today.

This. People don't really understand how big MJ was, he was more than just a popstar. He was the idol of an entire generation of people of all ages and backgrounds. Everyone used to unite in appreciation of him.

She was pretty huge but not as much. She was challenging to the culture of the time like Lady Gaga was in 2008, the nature of her art wouldn't allow her to be universally revered.

Beyonce is just a propaganda artist. She can't even outsell Taylor Swift.

>Celebrities are just as idolised and influential today.
Celebrities today have their own central fanbases following them around. I agree that the internet made it easier to obsess over them, but as huge as some of them can be, they still exist mainly in that bubble. People like MJ were inescapable, they were completely ingrained in the culture of the time. Whether you're American or live in some obscure third world shithole, MJ most likely has had an impact on your culture.

Madonna has longevity on her side. I think they are pretty equal.

Her last truly relevant album was Hard Candy, if anything I think she has longevity against her. She was a bit lost during the last 5 or so years, amidst Gaga, Beyonce and arising acts like Swift and Katy Perry.