Has anyone ever taken the sword seriously? Whether it be fencing or even a hobby of sorts in personal technique...

Has anyone ever taken the sword seriously? Whether it be fencing or even a hobby of sorts in personal technique. I wonder how many times the word autistic will be used in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCQ2pBob5Q
adultboard.net/threads/met-art-com-emily-bloom-katie-a-milena-d-karedi-10-09-2016.17457/
youtube.com/channel/UC_HtUzv9WIfxx31eYKDo4aA
rabb.it/r/9tojfc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yeah. I used to practice hapkido; after like 2 years my teacher let me in on a secret: all of the strikes and blocks could be used with a sword. for a year or two we would occasionally train with practice swords but never got real serious with it.

OP HAS ASPERGERS

How did you find a quality studio?

what I found most interesting though is how easy it was to adapt from hand to sword. it was the same technique, but with more distance between you and the opponent. never used live blades, but I do have a coupe swords that I still fuck around with from time to time

I own one; essentially a glorified machete but I make them in my spare time out of steel pipe and ash with my friends. Innawoods so only ever sparred with my guys (not much to do out here other than that) so I've never had professional training. But I practice blocks/cuts/forms for cardio and mindfulness and have only successfully used it in a street fight once

I took fencing when I was a kid. The instructor threw a bunch of stuff at me at first like "take wild swings" "swashbucking is bullshit" yadda yadda. He blocked it all, but I didn't know much about sword fighting at the time.

Like they said in snowcrash, it's like taking a deadly art and turning it into a cute game. Lots of rules. But it doesn't take into account someone grabbing a chair and throwing it at your opponent, But the basics are all there, parry, thrust, advance and retreat. And everything is set to a specific axis.

But I will say this, as an exercise regiment, it's second to none. It hones your hand-eye coordination (tapping tennis balls in mid air) and the horserider stance builds up your legs and abdomen like you wouldn't believe.

But in modern combat, nobodys pulling out a fucking sword. Or at least nobody who isn't wearing a fedora. Granted, there's lots of reasons for them to die, but it's far more satisfying bashing their faces in with an iron wrench.

Freshman year of college. took intro to martial arts gym class; instructor had studio in town. after the semester I started training with him.

I studied Jin Pal Hapkido.
My master's name was George Kattouff. He trained under Grandmaster Jin Pal Kim, the inventor of the style. my advice is to research a master's background; see who the trained under

Cont.
I never take it outside the woods/house specifically cuz of
>muh fedora *blocks your path* type shit

Girl on the left looks exactly like my lil sister. Currently fucking her friend.

Fencing, both foil and epee fencing under the modern ruleset, as well as classical Victorian fencing with offhand weapons. Our class had people that specialized in everything from a second sword to a dagger to a cloak to a rubber chicken with a weighted butt.

I favored a second sword (which was almost always my scoring weapon) or the rubber chicken. I had SKILLS with the rubber chicken.

Me and some friends would practice HEMA occasionally, of course we were new to it and a bit dumb so I got punted in the cock like 2 times an hour. Good times though I'm sure I'm sterile now

Autism

Foil, epee, and sabre fencer (16 years now), been coaching and officiating for the last 12 years, live the sport.

Wew you posted!

I studied Toyama ryu iaido for a couple of years and gradually just bored and left.

I was the low guy in the dojo (no problem there) but it mostly ended up being a wankfest for the aikido blackbelts.

I've been really interested in getting into fencing, but I feel like I'm too old to join a beginner's class (22).

Uni soon though, might see if they don't have a club going on.

Ask these guys m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlCQ2pBob5Q

i guess everyone from 3.300 BC till 1.800 AD

i would also suggest that in the history of humanity more people died through swords than guns

the only reason why swords aren't taken seriously is because you can't carry them with you, legal or illegaly dosn't matter

one little slash or stab would be more than enough to kill any unprotected person there is. im not a sword tard or weeaboo but i guess i would take a sword seriously

Sauce on the OP pic since I'm feeling generous
adultboard.net/threads/met-art-com-emily-bloom-katie-a-milena-d-karedi-10-09-2016.17457/
You're welcome faggots

Did kendo briefly and practice Filipino martial arts but I tend to prefer the knife to the stick.

Best thing I learned from kendo was how to kind of hop backwards really quickly to create a big distance gap.

I've thought it would be cool to practice fencing

Fencing is not, and never has been cool

But it is good exercise. I say go for it. Just don't think theres any sort of practical real world applications in a very heavily armed world.

Nobody bothers with swordfights anymore. It's just a buncha people shooting each other. Way more efficient.

Been studying/training HEMA for 10 years. Swords, shields, daggers, staffs, axes, polearms...

I bought a bokken and worked through a book on iaido. I didn't find any meaning in it or anything, it's just another activity that burns calories.

Honestly it's kind of weird that sword fighting is seen as immature or autistic while football is a billion dollar industry? This world makes no sense

Fenced in high school. Was good at it. It is fun.

>I wonder how many times the word autistic will be used in this thread.
It's not autistic at all.
Buying a katana which you don't know how to use and pose in pictures with it would be autistic.
Studying kendo is pretty cool. I prefer fencing though.

youtube.com/channel/UC_HtUzv9WIfxx31eYKDo4aA

Good lord, what I wouldn't do to get my wet inside of those

it's not
being euphoric is autism

>be me
>live in third world for about 14 years, cant say exactly where due to some reason
>somehow get into a bar fight during my second year in third world helping a lone stranger fight off a bunch of people
>we flee, become friend, exchange contact
>called me few days later to meet
>he turn out to be a gangster, introduced me and keep compliment me to his gang
>get involved into the gang, gave me a short samurai sword, very good looking, ask me to join gang fight, agreed to if i get pay,no problem with money they said
>with them ever since
>mfw im known as little samurai today, most formidable gang in the states, while all i ever did was nothing and just act like sword master

I did fencing in highschool and was pretty good at it. I haven't done it since but have idly thought of joining a local club to do it. 10/10 would fence again

lately ive been trying my best to get into HEMA (historical European martial arts) which is learning sword fighting based on manuals in Europe (and despite the name, north America in later periods) from the manuals available from about 1310 to 1900-ish, its interesting

And cosplay is seen as creepy and weird and obsessive,but wearing a football jersey and filling a man-cave with helmets, photos, memorabilia, eternally playing video loops etc is "normal" and just "being a fan"

idk Sup Forumsro. fencing can be decent for a bit but i think even a skilled fencer would lose against a more face paced art form

I am a master of the katana. Pic related.

I learned and practiced sword fighting in high school for 2+ years. Armor and all. Used practice swords which were basically pvc covered in foam and taped over. Learned quite a bit and placed 2nd if a few local tourneys where I'm from.

>can confirm i am autistic
Fast paced*

I fence. Why?

Did a couple years of fencing foil in college. Wouldn't say I was "serious", just cause I was never great at it, but it was just a fun way to get exercise with friends.

I'd echo what others said, it's stylized with rules so it's not exactly practical as a form of combat now, but it does teach some basic ideas that are useful in more practical combat, whether unarmed or armed. (You can parry and riposte with fists in similar ways to fencing, and you want to focus power in efficient movements whatever you're striking with). And it does get you build endurance and strength, particularly lower body, a lot more than you'd figure.

same, i fenced for about 3 years, got pretty good, won a tournament. fun stuff and really good exercise. i was super skinny too which is a big plus.

wow user
just what i was looking for!

rabb.it/r/9tojfc

I took kendo for a few years in highschool had to drop it when I moved As it is not offered where I live now.

I have a katana actually. I treat it with respect and when I swing it I pay reverence to the katana maker master who forged it.

At this moment, how many unarmed thugs could you take on at a time if someone gave you a sword?

>the sword
Confirmed virgin

Personally could probably take a couple if given escrima sticks but no more than that

May be stupid, but I trained extensively in jūkendō. Its got a lot of spear techniques, as it's more like kendo but with bayonets. It was fun, and a lot of work. I still have the mokujū I used to train with, a gift from my mentor.

I trained under Lieutenant Colonel George Bristol for MCMAP mastery, and learned jūkendō as part of the STALKER program he was developing at the time. I agree with several of the other posters here, who you train under is paramount. Research the master and his masters and you'll do fine.