What else has that dark/electronic kind of sound trip hop has but none of the relaxed/chillout kind of stuff?

What else has that dark/electronic kind of sound trip hop has but none of the relaxed/chillout kind of stuff?

I know Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky are the only trip hop artists that fit this but anything similar works, like Burial or Amon Tobin

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2FkVzFM9h-E
youtube.com/watch?v=hdik_yILRT4
youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg
youtube.com/watch?v=YMIRxg3_qOU
youtube.com/watch?v=sDOJqWP_LwA
youtube.com/watch?v=tFtFo7_jJFo
youtube.com/watch?v=KUEkrgSWeDI
youtube.com/watch?v=9Dw1hbxjr28
youtube.com/watch?v=hObtf4lFBu8
rateyourmusic.com/list/Selenaru_Negrea/obscure_albums_that_are__on_the_fringe_of__trip_hop/
youtube.com/watch?v=MHmlGaKvtok
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AAAAAA dude, I used to fucking adore trip-hop and tried to revisit it last week. The only issue was that I couldn't find a ton of new stuff from the Bristol scene, like you.
>UNKLE
I'm so-so about them, but they're pretty close to the trip-hop sound.
>Archive
Personally love these guys, they're a diamond in the rough. They fuck around a bunch with styles and sounds, but their first album Take My Head is akin to early massive attack (pic related). It's even released in the same time period that Mezzanine was, 1999. Still, 2012's With Us Until You're Dead is a favorite, so give it a try.
>Chelsea Wolfe
Not trip-hop, but fit a darker and embracing mood. I reccomend the album Abyss.

I miss those days when I first found the genre. Something's so enveloping about it, and it's hard to find anywhere else in music.

Bjork's Debut album (the good one not her actual first album) was produced mostly by Massive Attack, very trip hoppy

Bowery Electric, an old band from Jew York

youtu.be/2FkVzFM9h-E

youtube.com/watch?v=hdik_yILRT4

I've never listened to the full album, but '6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps fits this category.

youtube.com/watch?v=2eBZqmL8ehg

All three of their albums fit the category, especially Splinter

>I know Portishead, Massive Attack and Tricky are the only trip hop artists that fit this
How do you know this?

Bomb the Bass and Swayzak have a similar sound

youtube.com/watch?v=YMIRxg3_qOU

youtube.com/watch?v=sDOJqWP_LwA

The whole album is excellent

youtube.com/watch?v=tFtFo7_jJFo

youtube.com/watch?v=KUEkrgSWeDI

Team Sleep

youtube.com/watch?v=9Dw1hbxjr28

Wow did not expect people to reply, trip hop threads normally die quick here from what I've noticed, listening to all the links now

It's a meme, every time I've asked for trip hop recs someone inevitably posts saying something along the lines of "there's not much outside of the big three"

Maybe, idk.

nice one, user.

youtube.com/watch?v=hObtf4lFBu8

This is pretty good. Pretty solid album also.

>someone inevitably posts saying something along the lines of "there's not much outside of the big three"
That's because most trip hop bands are relatively unknown, and you have to dig deep to find the good stuff.

Have a look through this list some time. It's a gold mine for trip hop fans.
rateyourmusic.com/list/Selenaru_Negrea/obscure_albums_that_are__on_the_fringe_of__trip_hop/

The Crystalline Effect

Mandalay (some songs)

Laika

Most of whats called trip hop is just downtempo, trip hop is more specific to the Bristol Sound of the 90s

Downtempo is just watered down trip hop

Have you tried Third? That album is exactly that. youtube.com/watch?v=MHmlGaKvtok