Mettle->The Wall is the best 5-album stretch from any band, ever...

Mettle->The Wall is the best 5-album stretch from any band, ever. Zeppelin maybe has the best case of coming close to it, but they don't quite get there.

So... General Pink Floyd thread.

oh are you literally 15 year old me when I started browsing Sup Forums

A challenger appears

Nah, 2112 - Moving Pictures from Rush is ten times better.

Whoa there, dude. Sublime died in 1996.

That's one album. Floyd NAILED IT for 5 albums in a row, for 18 years. And they weren't bad on either end of that.

Rush is worse. King Crimson is far better as far as prog. Pink Floyd were best psychedelic.

I have to work kinda hard to listen to King Crimson. That's not a knock against them, just that it's a step past Floyd (or even Rush, really) in terms of accessibility. Floyd just glides right into my brain.

RHCP contender from 89 to 02

Mother's Milk > BSSM > One Hot Minute > CAlifornication > By The Way

You're hilarious. Got a better alternative?

I'm thinking...

Possibly Coldplay. Decent discog. First 5 are good.

Queen. Not sure how I would rank their albums but obviously have some staying power.

However I think System of a Down is a serious contender.

Are you talkin best 5 albums in a row? Yeah that's kind of hard to beat... maybe GY!BE? David Bowie?

However I have to agree with >ITCOTCK
>Poseidon
>Lizard
>Islands
>Larks' Tongues in Aspic

Unbeatable.

Don't know why this isn't in Sup Forums, maybe you're scared you'll get flamed because you know they'll tell you how shitty DSOTM really is.

I lost them once Californication hit. At some point, they decided that all their songs needed to sound like "Under The Bridge," which is a good song, but it's not what made them a great band. They lost the funk, aside from a couple of songs per album.

>Coldplay
Nah, dude. Just.... nah.

I actually can't fault the Queen pick, though, even if they have several songs that I don't really love. Nothing but respect for that band.

Sup Forums is a bigger crowd. That was the whole reasoning behind it.

You would probably be in the minority though, but this is a subjective thing so whatever. Got some great singles but probably not their strongest album.

Fam through Mylo they are great. They are still great. And their string of albums was really strong. What don't you like about that pick

>Fam through Mylo they are great. They are still great.

They were shitty Radiohead when they started, then they became shittier radio pop. For the record, Pink Floyd blows them out of the water, and it's not even remotely close.

OK Computer - Kid A - Amnesiac - Hail to the Thief - In Rainbows

you don't know shit about radiohead obv. also get off pink floyd's dick.

I find it hard to consider Animals a great album because I feel that the quality of the three songs - Dogs, Pigs On the Wing, and Sheep - sharply declines with the last, killing the flow. Dogs and Pigs on the Wing are fucking fanatastic and the whole band kills it, but Sheeps is just too repetive, which is unforgivable if you insist the song be over ten minutes long. Part of that, I believe, lies in it being a mostly (possibly entirely?) a Waters composition, and, I feel the band wasn't as great when Gilmore was forced into a dimisnihed role.
For this reason, I don't care much for The Wall as a whole either. It's has some amazing songs on it - Mother, Brick Wall Sequence, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, - but others - Vera, The Trial, Nobody's Home, Bring the Boys Back Home - are really dramatic and have aged well in my opinion. Also, other songs such as The Thin Ice and Don't Leave Me Know are really boring as well, but have pretty great endings. Now considering all of this, I can't classify either The Wall or Animals great albums because they both have songs I would skip. I skip nothing in that Led Zeppelin run. When I'm on a Beatles kick, I skip none of the tracks from Runber Soul through Abby Road, excluding the Yellow Submirine Score. Furthermore, The Rolling Stones run from Beggars Banquet through Exile on Main Street demolishes any four consecutive Pink Floyd Albums. Exile especially dominates The Wall in the all important double album category. The Wall is grating, demands your attention in a bad way on those lame tracks I listed where Waters ego took over. You put Exile on and life just happens around you, only it's a little better while the guitars play. Also, the Stones have Some Girls, Aftermath, Out of Our Heads, Between the Buttuns and Now, which all range from super strong to classic album. Also, a slew of other singles. Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, Sabbath, than Floyd.

In Rainbows wasn't close to the first 4 in that list. No complaint about the rest, though.

tbh the Trial had the best video for what the song was imo

fuck off with your dad rock

honestly

What. You completely skipped Obscured By Clouds

I agree with a couple points. Pink Floyd was best when every member of the band was firing on all cylinders, so the best songs on The Wall were when Gilmour was involved (Comfortably Numb, Young Lust, etc). That said, Waters could put together a really good song on occasion (Sheep is one my favorites, for example--it's just a good rockin' psychadelic-ish song). That's not to discount Waters' influence... he obviously had several killer ideas in there somewhere, but he needed to be reigned in. The Wall was him blowing his load, and it was evident when the best songs were the ones that Gilmour had a hand in.

That said, you're right in that there aren't many Zeppelin songs that I'd skip when listening to an album.

Not an actual Pink Floyd album. It's not even as good as Atom Heart Mother, which is kinda hard to get into because it's a band trying to find their footing.

True. The Beatles have a good case.

except it is. It's a studio record, which makes it official

Okay, fine. But it's a weird not-exactly-Pink-Floyd soundtrack to a b-list film. It's not even on the radar when it comes to Floyd albums and/or staying power.

On minutes-per-good-song alone Pink Floyd wins. One of the only bands that can put together a 17-minute song that's actually good throughout.

"Money" might even be the only 7/4 song to get real radio play and a top-100 rank.

Mettle, for "Fearless" and "Echoes" is worth it alone. Hnnnngggggg

wat

I'm not sure what a Pink Floyd tattoo is supposed to contribute here.

Okay then. What about Zabriskie Point then?

nice quads

Not a good album, soundtrack, or film.

Best Pink Floyd songs, in no particular order:

>Comfortably Numb
>Time
>Have a Cigar
>Sheep
>Money
>One of these Days
>Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts I-V)
>Pigs (3 of them)
>Echoes