Any gardeners/plant breeders here?

Any gardeners/plant breeders here?

Yup, sup guy?

>on Sup Forums

I love to cum on leafs.

o lawd is dat sum yellow antwerp raspberries?

What's the most profitable cash crop (small scale)?

This is a place full of weirdos. Not one of you is weird enough to make your own variety of plant?

Fall Gold, specifically. Other kinds include Kiwi Gold, Anne, and Double Gold.

Possibly Rainier Cherries. In Japan, the INDIVIDUAL cherries are worth a dollar.

Gold raspberries, being considered a specialty item, are also more valuable than red ones.

I stuck a cucumber up your mom's ass. Does that count?

Yup I dabble around with some spices and stuff. got my basil on the second year now, tastes way better, the rosmary on the other hand is so and so

No.

I breed tomatoes.

I´m thinking about setting some potatoes and leeks this year to, any tips and tricks?

checked

and fuck, now I want a Fantastic Mr. Fox

But she's a potato. I was trying to breed a hybrid.

i thought japan was full of cherry trees, also i think its actually some berries in europe, for instance in switzerland you can sell them for 7fr/6€/100g

I've been experimenting with early season raspberry varieties, trying out cross-pollination in a effort to make some new cultivars.

I think in a handful of years, I'll have some results. It helps that with raspberries, only the strong survive in intense climates. You know who the winners are by which ones made it.

True. But Rainier cherries are unusual in that they basically taste like candy. They're easily the most expensive cherry variety out there.

plant breeder? what? do you make two plants have sex or something?

You cross-pollinate the flowers, transferring the pollen from one to another (creating new F1 hybrids). You also have to remove the ability to the flowers' to self-pollinate, to ensure you don't get any F2 hybrids and lose hybrid vigor.

God I miss when plant-breeding was a common knowledge skill.

Please come cuck me with myself.

If you want me to Beegee that is.

How many plants in total are you trying this with?

You know what...

What do you need to know OP?

I was trolling.

But I'm afraid the only 'gardeners' you'll likely to meet nowadays are people who grow their own weed, in which case, you'll make many friends around here

About 15 new ones on top of the 11 from last year. Because raspberries are expensive to purchase, I purchased as many varieties as possible for evaluation.

I got about 100+ seeds last year from only a handful of berries from cross-pollinated flowers.

Paul was great, pic related. But Holy shit that fox looks cool.

I get why people use plant-breeding skills to grow marijuana, but I do wish people would at least branch out.

You can't just put raspberry seeds in the dirt. You have to break down the seed coat with hydrogen peroxide, and chill the dried seeds for like a month & a half.

thats actually interesting stuff. At some stage I wanted to have a garden of my own, grow all kinds of stuff, seemed like a good idea at the time but what do I know, I'm 21 and don't even own a property to have a garden to begin with...
It's something I'll go into once the time is right. Any tips for a complete beginner? any places I should go for teachings? are internet how-tos reliable?

i have a small garden
mostly tomatoes and green beans

I find it highly improbable you will stumble across a new cultivar with those numbers. (the dutch are trying it daily with 100s of thousands of individuals) but good luck regardless.

It depends on your goal. I mean if you want to garden; it's as simple as buying some containers, soil and plants.

Plant breeding is more sophisticated and time-consuming. I'd practice on the F2 hybrid seeds you can get from supermarket raspberries. They'll lack the hybrid vigor of the F1 plants they came from, but they'll be useful for perfecting advanced seed germination techniques (i.e hydrogen peroxide and fridge-chilling the dried seeds). Once you master growing seedlings in trays, you can move up to crossing raspberry plants proper.

Because raspberry plants take 2 years to produce, you can just purchase raspberry plants direct from nurseries. Then you transfer the pollen from one plant type's flower to another's flowers (first removing the anthers of the target flower so it can't self-pollinate. A small pair of scissors will remove that. The target area for pollination is the green mass in the center of the flower).

Be super-patient though, this is very time-consuming.

I'm aware of how large trial fields are. But it's all exponential. The more seedlings I produce, the more seeds I get from the resulting cross-pollinations. Then those seeds become seedlings, and so on. Do the math. It adds up very fast.

Every single berry on every plant is a potential winning seed source. You only need one good seed for a new cultivar.

I work on a grain farm. All the plant breeding I have in my life I'm afraid is handled by Monsanto.

I GMO/Monsanto and the likes affecting your botanical endeavors?

I know the dominant raspberry producer in America (Driscoll of California) behaves like a black ops group. They're super-secretive about their raspberry breeding program. Everything is numbered and kept within the company. They do at times use raspberries available to others, but always crossing them with company types it seems.

"This invention relates to a new cultivar of raspberry called ‘Driscoll Sevillana’. The new cultivar was developed from a single seedling selected from the hybridization of the selection ‘Isabel’ (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 9,340) as the seed parent with the selection ‘Driscoll Cardinal’ (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 14,903) as the pollen parent. The parents were crossed in 1998, whereafter fruit and seed were collected to produce seedlings for field planting in Oxnard, Calif. in 1999. The new cultivar was selected from these seedlings in 1999 for its large firm fruit. The new cultivar has been asexually propagated by in vitro shoot tip culture, root sucker division and root cuttings at the Cassin Ranch in Santa Cruz County, Calif. and has been shown to maintain the desired and distinguishing characteristics after propagation over several generations."

That's too bad. Nothing's sacred in a corporatocracy, eh? Dairy seems more like polymers, meat is steroids and plants are wierd Frankensteins. Laws and economic bullshit pretty much force producers to play along or sink, it seems. It's too bad. Takes fun from life.

Thanks for the info. Good luck, user.

I have raspberries.

I really hope one day ordinary people get back into plant-breeding, instead of leaving themselves at the mercy of corporations. They slap patents on everything.

I plant hate.
Heh, nothing personnel kid...

Hello my lads.

Nice rhododendron.

this

Yeah dug it out of a bog

Since you seem to be sorta legit (for a gardener on 4 Chan) what advice do you have for someone that wants to expand from simple gardening to plant breeding, guides, books, supplies, tools, seeds, manufactures and suppliers, etc. Also, pic of setup or garden?

yum salmon berries

nice

more like Gold raspberries

I used to have an apartment whose back windows were perfect for orchids. I had the real light loving ones up close sloping all the way across the living room to the real shade lovers. I had 30 varieties from many genus. I loved always having a few pots in bloom. Then I moved and no house since has been conducive to growing them.

Now I collect culinary herbs. Need some Mexican oregano, both types. Got savory started last year.

In all my time on Sup Forums I have never seen this kind of thread. Something different, something refreshing, something..............random.

OPhelia was nice the other day too.

But yeah, nice thread user

CITRON CAVIARs

I'd love to do some plant breeding if you know what I mean.

Anyone else cultivate carnivorous plants?

I have grown pitcher plants, sundew and Venus fly traps. My favorite are sundews. I love watching the sticky dripping plant tentacles slowly wrap up gnats and dissolve them slowly until thier chitenous exterior drops to the dirt.

I have some experience with Story of seasons