How do people make cover songs...

How do people make cover songs? How do people manage to take a song that's perfect in one genre and make it sound just as good in another genre? Is there like a science to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HmfVFJBZUBA
youtube.com/watch?v=maF2weZ3vi0
youtube.com/watch?v=YQTxSbCMOlM
youtube.com/watch?v=PyTqXqRuYq0
youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You have an imagination and creativity. Really it.

But isn't that stemmed from some kind of science?

No. I do covers of songs and it just kinda happens. Ill hear a song and a cover of it will just play in my head and im like "oh hey that's cool". Or ill just hear a song, play it on the piano, the just rearrange it and create something new. Knowing chord theory helps a lot though.

What about chord theory? Just knowing which notes make up which chords?

dumb makiposter

maki is terrible

How about you two suck my ass?!?!?!

That's just listening, the more you listen the better you'll be at recognizing chord sounds

and get diseases only a makifag can carry? nah lmao

I bet you niggers like Nico.

youtube.com/watch?v=HmfVFJBZUBA

youtube.com/watch?v=maF2weZ3vi0

you just have fun with it

It's sad that the original version is better.

You break it down to it's core elements, typically a melody and chord progression but each song is different. Then you take those core elements and you apply them to the tropes and instruments of another genre, essentially writing a generic song of that genre using the bits you took from the other song.

youtube.com/watch?v=YQTxSbCMOlM
youtube.com/watch?v=PyTqXqRuYq0
youtube.com/watch?v=OBmM79YadYM

Let me get a specific case.

I wanna do a post-hardcore version of Feeling This by Blink 182. I have the chords and melody, but what would it take to shift it into a post-hardcore style?

Pretty fun videos, despite the fact that Marilyn Manson still freaks out.

Choose two styles post-hardcore typically does. Do the more typical one for the verse and the more open/groovy/breakdown/whatever version for the chorus. Have the rhythm section play like a typical post-hardcore song but make sure something is doing that guitar lead. You might need to tweak the lead a little to match the rhythm section or the rhythm section to match the lead. If post-hardcore uses a particular kind of chord, use those instead of whatever the original song used.

The other approach is learn the song as recorded and then play it with instruments+effects set up for post-hardcore. Play the song, speed it up/slow it down as needed, and then start filing away and replacing the bits that don't make sense for the style and replace them with the things that do. Basically just fuck around with it.

Great advice. Thanks for the help!

no, i don't like lovelive at all

who is this semen conossieur ? looks like kumiko is she from the same animo right. are you the fag who were posting kumiko in every board arent we?

Who's kumiko? Isn't that Hank Hill's half-brother's mom?