Joy division - closer

I know there are people who empathize with me here, this is not an album that has aged well (same goes for most post-punk, new wave, etc. in general.) The bare-bones instrumentals with that annoying voice is the aesthetic that is repeated on each song; and the lyrics are so similar that I basically feel like I'm listening to the same song over and over again.

I've noticed that this style, which JD certainly helped pioneer and which other bands certainly emulated, is not particularly liked by regular people these days. If you're young, you're considered edgy as fuck or just a hipster; the people who still fuck with Joy Division are generally the sorts who think they're much deeper or smarter than your average guy (gets real old), but they aren't because Joy Division is a pretty superficial band almost by principle. If you're an older person and still listening to it I feel like lots of things come into question.

It's because we've moved on, this is not the sort of music that kids need to be discovering. That being said, the lyrics are well crafted by a very sick and introspective mind, I'd just rather spend my time elsewhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/joy_division/closer/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i hate normies

OP's a fucking douchebag.

Closer is still a stone cold classic even today, no matter how many idiots only wear JD shirts because "they look cool".

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/joy_division/closer/

>post punk hasn't aged well
no, you're just retarded

SHUT THE FUCK UP OP YOU FUCKING DOUCHEBAG CLOSER IS AN AMAZING ALBUM WHO GIVES A FUCK ABOUT WHETHER THE ALBUM HAS AGED WELL, THE ONLY REASON YOU SAY THAT IS BECAUSE IT'S SOUND HAS NEVER BEEN REPLICATED. WHO GIVES A FUCKING FUCK WHAT REGULAR PEOPLE LIKE WHO GIVES A FUCK WHAT KIDS NEED TO BE DISCOVERING YOU SUCK BALLS AT CRITICIZING AN ALBUM'S MERIT AND DON'T DESERVE TO UNDERSTAND THIS MASTERPIECE'S TRUE BEAUTY. FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This.

>I've listened to maybe two or three reviewers and know I speak in patrician!

user name: morand

Send him a nice pleasant message :)

"Everyone has that one Doors-fan friend...

Overplayed and overrated, and yet still quite good. If you aren't burned out on The Doors by 16, don't bother getting into it now. This goes for all albums "

some more delusion for ya:

fuck off

People will say to you "you're just a contrarian, everyone loves the Beatles, etc." Never listen to them, the Beatles are a mediocre band with mediocre lyrics and unimpressive music, and the fame they have received results from being in the right place at the right time. Also, to anyone who uses "they were influential on so many other musicians" as an argument you can eat ass as well because that's a shit argument for why you should enjoy, appreciate, or even just listen to music in general. The most overrate band of all time (and this is also one of the shittier albums they made.)

1.00 stars
[Rating86959838]
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited (1965)

"Ask a Bob Dylan fan to tell you about his lyrics

You listening to this in 2017? Stop. "

Maybe your music taste sucks? Just sayin

literally le right generation

JOY DIVIJON WOS SHITE

JOY DIVIJON WOS FOOKIN ROBBISH

>The bare-bones instrumentals with that annoying voice

kek is this what plebdom looks like? Ian's singing on Closer is amazing and Joy Division's simple but unconventional style is one of the reasons they still sound good. just look at Digital for how much effect they got from a such a simple tune.

Isolation and Decades are the apex of JD instumentation imo with Steven's agressive simple drumming, Hooky's bass carrying the entire tune and Barney's sad driving synth

I fucking hate Isolation and Colony. The other songs on Closer are still pretty good.

>play 60s bubblegum pop with reverb
>call yourself post-punk
>become popular among awkward teenage girls
>shit on JD
>fade into complete irrelevance within a decade while JD are still going strong 30+ years after disbanding

Hannetts production alone is legendary

This

What's the best Ian final song? Decades, Love Will Tear Us Apart, or Ceremony

Saying closer is better is the popular opinion to have

>The Eternal starts playing

Ceremony

Is New Order worth checking out?

Yeah they have a lot of good stuff. Just start with their first album and go from there.
Ceremony for sure, all 3 songs are obviously great though

You're forgetting In A Lonely Place

Just started checking them out myself and they're great.

Atmosphere