GENERAL ZOD

Best cape villain yet. Firm motives to save his people, plan foils setting him off in blind rage to personally kill everyone. Actually kills a lot of people and destroys a lot of shit.

DC
Heath Joker - edgelord with no motive, overrated
Bane - meme villain
Ra's Al Ghul - Boring, forgettable, stupid motive
Eisenberg Luthor - fucking terrible in every way
Doomsday - shoehorned potato bullshit

MARVEL
Thanos - grapefruit
Loki - quips, whiny brat
Ultron - stupid motives, also quips
Mandarin - made him into a joke
Whiplash - revenge motive good, but forgettable final showdown at the end
Obadiah - just wanted to make money and didn't like Tony
Yellow Jacket - just wanted to make money
Malakith - no one remembers who this is
Red Skull - cliche
Winter Soldier - just a pawn
Zemo - just some guy
Ronan - cliche and angry for no reason

SONY SPIDERMAN
Green Goblin - campy
Venom - terrible execution of this character
Sandman - Actually a good villain with motive to save his daughter, ruined by shoehorned Venom character
Electro - campy and retarded
Green Goblin JR. - Frankie Muniz on meth
The Lizard - Good casting, had potential, retarded plan to turn everyone into lizards
Dr. Octopus - 2nd best villain.

X-MEN
I don't watch these ever. Faggy costumes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0WYgu6Xa-_U
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)
youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=giM4Nn5Xc2M
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He could've terraformed Mars instead though

Zod is just so consistently awesome. He was great in Superman II as well, but Shannon's incarnation was just so relatable.

And so badass.

Zod was great but I felt midway through his tantrum/wrecking metropolis that he should have calmed down by now. Superman's dad used to like him so he's apparently not a bad guy.

It only took him a couple of days to adjust to Earth's atmosphere, so why didn't he just let his compatriots get used to it, and then they could start birthing kryptonians on Earth and they'd be fine with it since they were born into the atmosphere? Or is that a plot hole that I just now thought about?

Nothing we're shown about Kryptonian tech indicates that that's the case. Whatever else it could do, the World Engine did not seem to be self-sufficient, explaining why when Krypton cut off the colonies from resupply, they withered and died. It would also explain why the planet we see Zod visit, the one where he picks up the World Engine, was a barren planet that required them to use spacesuits to survive on.

If that means all it implies, that means that their "kryptoforming" tech relied on a constant investment of enormous amounts of energy, without which, a planet slowly reverts to its natural state. That being the case, Zod's reasoning would have been to use the World Engine to wipe Earth clean of native life, then introduce "superior" Kryptonian lifeforms and let the populace gradually become "super" over time as the Earth reverted to an equilibrium state.

It has to be build on a foundation Jor-El told this to Superman.

Because Zod and his group were a fucking commentary on jihadists. He doesn't want the world (West) and it's culture to survive, he wants to supplant it with his own.

He was a religious, extremist freak.

I've wondered if that level of Darwinian thought extended to Kryptonian society as a whole. Does that mean that the other planet we see Zod and crew visit at one point had indigenous life of its own?

TELL

They probably did. Even Krypton was fucked because they strip-mined the planet of all it's sources.

>That moment before the final battle where he explains very explicitly what his character is in case the audiences are too dense
Yeah, no.

Shannon was cool, tho.

You can't blame MoS for that. Look at BvS. People are still even know wondering what Lex was all about.

I can blame David Goyer for that.

I loved that scene, because it's Zod only just barely containing his seething rage long enough to explain carefully and patiently why he thinks Clark is a fucking moron and why he's about to wreck his shit for it.

More like Zod practically on the verge of giving a PowerPoint presentation of why he does what he does because Goyer is a shit writer, but at least Michael Shannon gave it some life.

Seriously, this shit made the Dark Knight movies cringeworthy at times.

well
1.- he is a psychopath who needs eradicate the bloodline of Jor-el
2.- he needs the codex in Superman
sure he can use Mars, but then what? had a little village with his small amount of soldiers?

I think you've put more thought into this than the screenwriters

I actually really like man of steel guys. Yeah the STOP INVINCIBLE SON part is stupid and they could've handled his death better, but zod is a good villain with a good motive. And fuck me for liking actions in my action movies right?

Whether they intended to from inception or not, they might have given us an intriguing(and dark) secret history for Krypton. Think about this exchange:

>Jor-El: You came from Krypton, a world with a much harsher environment than Earth's. Long ago, in an era of expansion, our race spread out through the stars, seeking new worlds to settle upon. This scout ship was one of thousands launched into the void. We built outposts on other planets, using great machines to reshape environments to our needs. For 100 thousand years our civilization flourished, accomplishing wonders.

>Clark Kent: What happened?

>Jor-El: Artificial population control was established. The outposts and space exploration were abandoned. We exhausted our natural resources.

That seem like maybe Jor-El's leaving out a detail or two? Like, *why* population control and the abandonment of colonization coincide? What did they find out there that sent them running home?

Are we pulling from movies only?

When people on one side of a disagreement think they are right they tend to explain things.

Think of it as one big Sup Forums flame war but with massive cataclysmic death and laser beams.

Zod is literally retarded.

Finds a planet that turns his people into gods and decides to pump the atmosphere full of poison so kids won't have to be uncomfortable while they adjust to their powers.

They should have stopped at his plan being to slaughter all the humans so his people could have the planet to themselves.

Are you me?

The damn tornado scene was lame but everything else about MoS was on point.

>I don't watch these ever. Faggy costumes.

Magneto(both) and Peter Dinklage are pretty good villains in those movies.

How come Superman could come back to life - twice - from a literal nuke and kryptonite, but Zod couldn't come back from a snapped neck?

Something about kryptonians not being able to reproduce without that code written into supes or whatever I don't really remember

The World Engine would have done a great job of wiping us all out in one fell swoop. Also, terraforming Earth wouldn't do crap to our sun. They'd have still been super, only slightly less so.

X-men has Fassbender Magneto who is the best.

Zod is good, but I still prefer Doc Oc (Spiderman 2 in general is my favourite superhero movie). Oc is this great combination of sorrow and madness; incredibly sympathetic, but nonetheless menacing.

Tell that to Zods snapped neck

BvS, with it's shitty Luthor and horrible fucking Doomsday fight made me appreciate Man of Steel and Zod in particular so much fucing more.

Never understood the genocidal part of Zod. Seemed like if he really wantes his people to survive he would have worked with the people of Earth to some degree. Seemed like poor writing to me. Idk. To each their own.

We don't know yet. But as a long-time fan of the comics, I don't think the nuke recovery wasn't death, just near death. Sort of like how it was depicted in "The Dark Knight Returns," but thankfully without the "oh, Superman can somehow absorb metabolized sunlight straight from a rain forest after he prays to Mother Earth" bit.

Zod's story is the story of American colonization. Except we're the filthy natives and we won with the help of a turncoat. Basically Avatar happened.

I agree. Doc Ock was great, and that hospital scene was legit spooky. It really sells how deadly the arms are.

>Magneto
>Villain

Can't Pass on the Fass, but Magneto is ambiguous to say the least.

At the start of the film Jor El talks about how Earth's atmosphere is more nourishing.

And Zod says that he wants to terraform earth so their kids won't have to go through the adjustment period Superman had to do as a kid.

And Superman loses his powers when he boards the Kryptonian ship. But he gets them back as soon as Jor El changes the atmospherics.

All of which suggests the atmosphere is a critical component of Superman's power in this universe.

How could there be no more of them left if they spread out for 100 thousand years?

Unless....

Are we krypton dependents?

yo comicfags help me out, what was that alien thing Lex was chilling with at the end of BvS?

Steppenwolf

God damn it
*Descendants

It's great how Lex's philanthropy speech and his references to the Prometheus myth are all directly applicable to what Supes did in MoS.

The band?

Doomsday. He kills superman in a pretty famous comic. The movie did an homage to that.

In the Justice League cartoon series a superman from a parallel universe lobotomizes Doomsday with his laser eyes.

That's about all I know.

Michael Shannon is always interesting in any movie he makes. So it's not a fair comparison.

Even his face becomes more grotesque, statuesque and unique -- literally god like -- as he ages.

The atmosphere is mainly responsible for the "superfeels" like vision and hearing. If you notice, the Jax Ur(the doctor/scientist) even mentions that the ship's actively doing something to suppress the energy Clark had already absorbed. I think they started doing so pretty much the instant he stepped aboard and that he didn't notice until he'd become vulnerable enough to suffer from the harsher environment.

Thanks. Hope he's in future DC shit, looks cool.

REALLY hope DC doesn't make a habit of killing their antagonists off after one movie like a certain other company.

I definitely think that Kryptonian heritage is going to be part of the explanation for metahumans like the Flash. In the comics, there's a sort of "Engineer" race that seeded a ton of worlds in our galaxy with life. I was sort of amazed to see both Stargate and Prometheus borrow from that, although I'm sure there's similar lore in other older sci-fi stories as well, though none spring to mind.

MoS and BvS will be regarded as criminally underrated in 10 years time after all the comic book nerds have died from AIDS

As in, "The Wolf of the Steppes." It's the title of a German book from which both the band and Jack Kirby took the name.

Doc Ock and Zemo were both better

>Amber Heard in Justice League

Why would anyone hire her? What the fuck Snyder?

He's really an almost nobody even in the comics, besides from having a cool armor and hangin around the New Gods the only memorable thing he's ever done is killing alternate versions of Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman back in 2011.
Theyve probably chosen him as the villain cause he's expendable, they can actually kill him and use it as an excuse to bring the other New Gods (ie Darkseid) to Earth in another movie.

No.

Yes, they were, and most of the world would agree with me

I'd be careful bandying about such terms as "most of the world." Take a look at who most of the world is populated by sometime.

Take a good, long look. Zod was right.

Probably because Zod still wasn't fully 100% adjusted.

> why would anyone hire drop dead gorgeous women to be in their film

is there some reason not to hire her im unaware of?

She sucks.

Doomsday didn't need to adjust

yeah guess what, so do the majority of actresses. They're payed to be high level eye candy, not thespians

Scarlett jewhanson has been the same dull, lifeless hack for her entire career but they keep hiring her too

Doomsday was gestated here and enjoying the benefits of hybrid vigor, not to mention that adaptation has always been one of his trademarks.

>Adapt this

Why didn't he?

That's a really good point. I wonder if the fact that he developed here means that on top of everything else, Superman's bones would even be stronger than an adult Kryptonian being exposed to Earth's environment for the first time.

We don't even know for sure that he's dead, yet. He might just come back to life if anyone's dumb enough to remove that spear. Like a vampire.

When Superman comes back to life, the government will want their safe measure back. They'll take the kryptonite and then shoot Doomie into space or something.

Zod is easily the best.
Agree with your opinion on lizard and sandman, ledger worked precisely because he came out of no where with apparently no motivation. He's supposed to be someone who's motives and history is unknown, which was nailed perfectly.

Ledger isn't overrated at all, but the movie as a whole is.

We don't know enough about what the the world engine was capable of.

People hear "terraforming" and assume it can turn any planet into krypton. It would have had certain criteria a plant would need to fit to work (eg a certain amount of water)

They hired her to be Aquaman's wife long before the Depp divorce fallout.

Although the rumour is she used Depp's connections to land that role.

Yep, pretty much. I dare you to watch this bit of dialog and not get goosebumps

youtube.com/watch?v=0WYgu6Xa-_U

He didn't want to coexist, he wanted krypton to be restored to its former glory, which doesn't include sharing power.

He's is the definition of a black and white character. No compromise.

>edgelord with no motive
He has a motivation, silly OP. He wanted to get rid off Batman and he did it.

Why do you hate it though. It was a great monologue and was very fitting for Zod. Zod was extremely direct so it makes sense for him bluntly and coldly explaining how he feels and what he's going to do.

There's nothing wrong with a speech like that when it's don't by a character like Zod, who's established to be like that right from the beginning.

I liked magneto is Apocoplyse, how is he in DOFP and first class?

He has his powers in outer space, outside the Earth's atmosphere, though.

Better.

>I'm going to make them suffer, Kal.

Gets me every time. Logic and reason right out the window. It's all about revenge for him at that point.

Essentially, he's a big guy telling Clark he doesn't get to bring friends.

You really should watch the newer XMen movies, OP. Days of Future Past is the best Marvel related capeshit since Spiderman 2.

One of us.

>I was sort of amazed to see both Stargate and Prometheus borrow from that, although I'm sure there's similar lore in other older sci-fi stories as well, though none spring to mind.

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)

To traditional kryptonians, natural reproduction is disgusting. Zod calls it heresy.

David Goyer ruins every Great potential movie he helps writing. The best Nolan batman is the one he had the least input in.

Good one. There have got to be older examples, though. The comic lore I'm talking about was introduced throughout the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

I bet there's at least one episode of TOS that touches on the subject of a progenitor species.

I unironically enjoyed the I WILL FIND HIM scene.
Imagine you're Superman's mom, listening to this shit. You know he is fucked and can't escape, but he is filled with so much rage that you almost believe him-that he will find a way out of endless purgatory and fuck up your kid's shit.

And as a viewer, you fucking know he isn't bullshitting about finding Supes. In the supposed final moments of Zod's life, he is screaming into Lara's face. It's great.

That fanatic zeal in his eyes really makes you believe that *she* would believe him and fear for her son.

He was weird

Aren't we forgetting someone?

I WILL FIND HIM!

Terence Stamp is best Zod.

youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ

Damnit there is and i cant think of the name of it.

Heath's Joker did have a motive, to prove that even the best people can turn evil if you push them hard enough

Agree with most of your list except the Joker.
Doc Ock is a great villain. He just wants to build his sun-reactor-thing.

best villain because he had the best actor.

If Kryptoninas could make something from nothing then they wouldn't have had a resources problem in the first place. Is this really one of the complaints that ruins MoS for people?

>Zod was great but I felt midway through his tantrum/wrecking metropolis that he should have calmed down by now

I dunno user. Go find a new mother and stab her baby to death. See how long it takes for her to calm down

ETSU BATSU
i've just broken the curse, calm down everyone

youtube.com/watch?v=giM4Nn5Xc2M

Doomsday is Zod

>not watching the best capeshit has to offer
opinions discarded

Wait, did Zod make himself known before this or is the Whitehouse just like this?