/prod/ - music production general anime edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

pastebin:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Lets go boys

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists
clyp.it/0kcuz4pl
clyp.it/kxbgccp5
clyp.it/jybeo5mv
clyp.it/pm20no11
clyp.it/kts5xu4r
www108.zippyshare.com/v/ouliLtHr/file.html
clyp.it/yn5d5kkq
youtube.com/watch?v=-NFMKY__msI
gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm
clyp.it/wxi2l3j1
clyp.it/umxe224c
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental
clyp.it/rrw1ul2b
clyp.it/i44xey4l
clyp.it/kjrm1gr2
clyp.it/xv2ld4hy
clyp.it/1mv3ngwe
soundcloud.com/ishiiofficial/knock-me-down-2-mastering/s-foYoZ
soundcloud.com/ishiiofficial/knock-me-down-2-mastering-1/s-ug0eN
clyp.it/bsr4uiv1
clyp.it/ggaatpzu
clyp.it/wkvfbex4
dropbox.com/s/cjdw5puzglwzs36/PAUL MORCHEEBA HITS.zip?dl=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

clyp.it/0kcuz4pl

What do ya'll think about this?

Is this the best drum album to sample or hwut?

t. noob shill

is sampling still relevant?

>clyp.it/0kcuz4pl
no pay-off but would work great as a soundtrack

No pay off?

sample yerself matey

most fun i ever had is forming chords on different things and playing the chords.

get on that rave tip playa

>is sampling still relevant?
i dunno, have you turned on the radio in the last 10 years?

got 2 clyps for you guys

clyp.it/kxbgccp5
posted this one yesterday too but no one gave me feedback

clyp.it/jybeo5mv
some beat I'm working on for a friend to rap over

as always I'll return r8/feedback

Sampling is still very relevent

Haito moe vertooal youtoobah kizunah ay desu

>clyp.it/jybeo5mv

Might be a tad too busy for a rap song

you're right, I'm going for more of a hybrid style but once I get the vocals I'm gonna turn some shit down for sure this is just an instrumental mix

Yeah it sounds like it. Also, you should probably mix it lower because you're going to have to fit vocals in there. I know it's just an instrumental but it'll save you from having to do extra work in the future.

yeah you're right man, I just HAD to see what it sounds like fully beefed up even without the vocals, I don't mind the extra work when I get the vocals desu

working on this house tune

clyp.it/pm20no11

>clyp.it/pm20no11

My 2 year old started dancing to your tune.

is that a good sign or a bad sign?

it means you're a babbycore producer now

This is pretty good desu, however I'm not a big fan of the drums, like, you're going for a dark minimal techno vibe but there's 0 variation on the drums, also the kick needs to be a bit more top heavy it's lost in the mix, and that clap is very cheesy.

the style im going for is "g-house" so loud deliberate claps are sort of a staple. i could try to introduce another clap layer.

>is that a good sign or a bad sign?

It's a good sign desu, although the track is too repetitive. Even for house.

how was that drop that happens after 2:30?

I just noticed the hats are basically nonexistent. And the guy above that said you kick is lost is right as well.

I think he means there's no verse-chorus structure. Doesn't really need it though.

it's not the volume or anything, it's the sample itself that I don't really like, but most of all I don't like that kick, it's way too soft and gets buried in the mix. Also you gotta vary your drums up and add more percussion to it it's way too simplistic

repairing shit as we speak

REEEEEE i just noticed this after an hour of mixing to make my bass cooperate... well back to the old drawing board.

the way your bass works reminds me of Jauz, listen to his deadmau5 remix or jaws theme, might wanna add a sub bassline too

its actually 3 basses layered...

sub is down the middle... one bass is panned 10L and the other 10R. ran it through this plugin called "mongoose" by boz digital labs which pretty much lets you pick a frequency and everything below that frequency gets turned into mono.

Hiya, Sup Forums, should i keep working on this or is it crap?

clyp.it/kts5xu4r

what was your reason for the 3 basses layered, specifically the two that are panned ever so slightly to the sides

it doesn't seem to be really doing much so revisiting your reason for doing it could help you refine your idea

i'm not feeling too much sub either and without looking at it in a spectrograph it's either your kick and sub are fighting each other and cancelling out and / or your bass and sub are fighting each other and cancelling out, possibly from the inharmonic aspects. if there's an oscillator tuned to like +3 semitones in there try +15 just to get it away from the bass or using that second bass synth exclusively for the +3 semitone and highpassing it

only if you can put better drum samples in there. could even sample a whole rock drum loop and chop it up like triphop

i just liked the way each of them sounded. they are both high passed to about 120hz so the main bass still does a lot of the lifting.

i know layering bass is probably unconventional and not recommended but they both have really nice rings.

nice... reminds me of something that would be in a gears of war trailer.

>clyp.it/kts5xu4r
I like it so far. Drums don't sit properly yet. They're in that uncanny valley of having an acoustic timbre but programmed to sound way too mechanical. Synth at the end is lame. Definitely keep working on it.

Layering bass is conventional as fuck. You're probably better off making a really good bass that stands alone tho.

its not samples, its a chopped up recording of me playing , did i fuck it up?

should i not chop then then?

not a synth, steal lap guitar, i got like 20mins recorded of it and im chopping up parts to work as lead, thats just an unworked clip standing at the end of the section i was working in

i struggled to make a bass sound that was deep but also good sounding.

any particular plugins you like?

was just easier to use a sine wave for the deep stuff and a secondary bass for character.

>clyp.it/kts5xu4r
Nothing wrong with chopping but they just sound wrong to me. It's going for an acoustic kit sound but it's obviously programmed so it just sounds fake an lame.

I meant the sound starting at 1:18~ for the synth sound. Maybe it's just chopped lap steel. The melody just sounds cheesey as fuck to me.

It's almost like you're trying to make post-rock or something. I think the start of the track is definitely the best part so far.

I definitely put sine subs under stuff. I almost consider that a different instrument though.

I mostly use Operator/Analog/Simpler with single cycle waves for bass in Ableton or hardware synths. Serum is cool too.

the recording of you playing has a real bad sound and the retriggering ride that seems to stop before the next one plays is not great. the sound is so dry and muted, a longer sustained noisy sound would probably fit better with the long ambient tones the rest of the song has. a bit more room and less sharp definition maybe.

listen the drums in a song in a similar style, like some old psychedelic rock or postrock. right now it sounds like a basic general midi kit.

in my tune i used sine for the sub
spire for the right bass
lush101 for the left

chopped lap with another track upped a 7th

>Its almost like you're trying to make post-rock or something
i dunno, im just letting it work out by itself

OK, gonna work on that, thanks!

Sine subs are only appropriate on real big systems. Headphones and general speakers won't be moving as much air and will instead need a tone with more harmonics to be heard instead of just almost feeling it.

Typically we'd use a lowpassed square or a few sines tuned to harmonics, or saturate a sine. A quick pitch drop at the start can emphasize when the sub hits as well. Also be sure to EQ so you can control where in the frequency range the harmonics will be more prominent.

Here's a sample from Fanu's old Microbrute Bass pack that's a particularly song sub. www108.zippyshare.com/v/ouliLtHr/file.html Try this out. It's much more audible for situations where it's not feasible to move a giant coil in front of someone.

Does my bass sound ok? I'm trying to learn how to do bass, for this one I used some sampled bass notes and filtered them, but I don't know if they match the piano chords or not.

Any advice?

clyp.it/yn5d5kkq

>clyp.it/yn5d5kkq

Sounds off key and too much gain

added to my sample collection.

pic related... its what i use to mix right now. nice speakers but they cant do low end for shit so there is some guess work involved.

i got some nice stereo speakers but my 20 year old amp finally bit the dust so i dont really have a secondary sound system for reference.

Any tips on how to get it on-key? I've never played an instrument so I don't have a great ear for these things

Get a tuner and play notes in the same scale as the rest of the tune.

youtube.com/watch?v=-NFMKY__msI

If you're in FL Studio, open the samples in Edison and switch to spectrum view. Make the window bigger and move your mouse over the fundamental, the pitch will show up in the top-left of the FL Studio window.

If not, something like GTune gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm and use an EQ to emphasize / isolate the fundamental frequency of the samples to sort of coddle GTune so it picks the right frequency.

Sine subs are verrrryy noticeable thru headphones. I personally don't like the sound of the third harmonic of a complex wave shape when the fundamental is around 50Hz, even if it's heavily filtered. If you put a complex wave an octave up from the sub it sounds alright tho.

Personal taste I suppose.

>Sine subs are verrrryy noticeable thru headphones. I personally don't like the sound of the third harmonic of a complex wave shape when the fundamental is around 50Hz, even if it's heavily filtered. If you put a complex wave an octave up from the sub it sounds alright tho.

I literally have to distort mine, otherwise I hate it

Thanks for the help, I already have the notes of all the bass samples but I don't know how to find the key of the piano sample I'm using.

I'm in Ableton btw. Tried the built-in tuner but it doesn't detect half of the chords. I'll try GTune

The sine by itself sounds boring as fuck sure, that's why you have shit happening an octave up. It's fine if you can't hear it thru laptop speakers or small monitors. It's there for when you have the low end available.

Does anyone like creative sound lab on youtube? I really like them for typical studio like stuff.

does this sound too messy? considering scrapping or redoing the whole thing because I think I went overboard with all the stereo effects
clyp.it/wxi2l3j1

Ok, GTune says that the piano chords are G, F and D#. What do I do now?

the highest note in the piano chords goes
A# A# > A A > A# A# > G G
so for the bass maybe try
A# A# > A A > A# A# > D# D#

Your scale is prolly G minor.

G A A# C D D# F

Use those notes.

Made a quick demo of sub bass with cheesy Dectalk voices narrating so you know what works best on your system.

For me the saturated sine on 20 to 50hz range works best while the normal sine on 20 to 50hz works worst and the sine with 3 even harmonics is okay at 50 to 100hz but doesn't carry much weight at 20 to 50hz, so of course I use a saturated sine.

clyp.it/umxe224c

Thanks I'll try this now

You can still make your subs audible through harmonics when you're on speakers without a subwoofer, it's incredibly common in professional records to add harmonics to the low end either during production or in mastering because even if the root frequency of a note isn't there, your brain will fill it in if it hears harmonics. This is a basic principle of psychoacoustics and is just about all that "bass enhancers" do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental

And the best part is you usually won't be in a situation where the sub bass's fundamental is entirely missing, often it's just quiet.

Of course you can. I like the sub to actually be present and shaking my skull though. Your brain will be able to determine what the fundamental is from harmonics but they're not gonna move the same air. The whole point of a sub is to rattle shit.

Ok I tried your pattern of A# A# > A A > A# A# > D# D#, how does it sound?

clyp.it/rrw1ul2b

hey is this okay?
clyp.it/i44xey4l

wheres your low end

Is it possible to make a track with orchestral samples that doesn't sound like asshole?

yes

The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever and David Bowie's Space Oddity use a Mellotron, an orchestra sampler far less complex than whatever you have.

>complex=good

Mellotrons sound rad but not because they have an authentic sound.

are you guys familiar with the idea of sharing midi messages between applications as you would do with a device? are there emulators for that?
suppose you want to send messages from a midi editor or a virtual keyboard from an application to a DAW without using VST and without importing midi files

Virtual MIDI cables - I use loopMIDI

thank you

Made some boom bap earlier

clyp.it/kjrm1gr2

trying to make this more interesting and giveing final touchs before mixing,
some toughts?
what would you do/change?

try not to say sampling/mixing changes, that will be the next step

clyp.it/xv2ld4hy

I'm going to create a new genre. When you see the phrase "psychadelic groove" what music do you think of? What do you think it sounds like?

triphop

My anaconda don't

which synth vsts are absolutely necessary
i tried to pirate serum but its a fucking pain in the ass

It's fucking $9 a month

im broke af
im not buying anything till i start making money

How about you get a job and stop mooching off your parents

what, like you rent a piece of software?

i can't believe millennials do this.

serum is nothing special, and none are necessary. if for some reason you can't figure out how to pirate serum, try sylenth or fm8 or use the synths that came with your fuckin daw you dunce.

clyp.it/1mv3ngwe

don't know where to go with this

i enjoyed it

suh dudes.

Which kick should i be using?

This:
soundcloud.com/ishiiofficial/knock-me-down-2-mastering/s-foYoZ

or This: soundcloud.com/ishiiofficial/knock-me-down-2-mastering-1/s-ug0eN

Read the op

whoopsie daisy, thanks user

which kick should i use?

high kick: clyp.it/bsr4uiv1

mid kick: clyp.it/ggaatpzu

the high kick offers more clarity and less muddy mix, but loses the g house charm

High one

>what, like you rent a piece of software?
>i can't believe millennials do this.

>rent

It's a payment program for brokefags

clyp.it/wkvfbex4
Here is a song I have been working on for awhile, I feel like sharing it.
It's supposed to be an electronic rock track. I recorded vocals for it but I can't sing.
My main questions are how does the bass sound in the mix (both intro and at 0:55) and where and how should I use reverb.
I haven't used reverb a lot in my productions and I think should start using it.

It's a very groovy track. I like it.

I am getting a strong Persona 5 vibe off of this. If you need inspiration, listen to some songs off the OST. Maybe trying adding some organ or elec. piano chords, or even a riff.

Here's some meta,

We used Clyp.it because Soundcloud and Youtube weren't anonymous and it was considered self-promotion, but a bunch of these Clyps are on registered profiles with other music, and some are real-ass usernames.

Do we lift the restriction since it's functionally pointless now or do we use Vocaroo or some shit?

Bitch if you don't use Vocaroo? You're just a self-promoting attentionwhore. That's 2017.

I use a account just because I can't upload WAVs that are bigger 20MB.
I just took a look at Vocaroo and the file size limit is 50MB. I uploaded a song here that is 72MB.
I use Ableton so I don't have a built in WAV-to-MP3 converter (I could use Audacity to convert but whatever).
I don't know the limitations of Vocaroo, for example, how long until a file disappears, is there any playback issues?
I also liking seeing the waveform of a file before playing.

Vocaroo was just a joke, it's like 22050hz sample rate I think? And I don't know how long it lasts, maybe a week after no listens.

Sucks that Ableton doesn't have built-in MP3 export. Seems like an obvious feature to have.

Vocaroo fucks audio quality, though. That's a big issue. Also seeing the waveform is nice.

But yeah I agree clyp is cancer.

Bunch of real nice drum samples from Morcheeba

dropbox.com/s/cjdw5puzglwzs36/PAUL MORCHEEBA HITS.zip?dl=1

They're a bit loose for me but maybe one of you will use them.

Gracias

NOICE
grasia

Can anyone tell me what's the purpose of a tape loop while you can just use a looper device/sampler/DAW to loop recordings? Many musique concrete and noise artists are all over it but I don't get it..