Do you explore different genres or just listen to whatever the latest p4k/fantano hyped album is?

Do you explore different genres or just listen to whatever the latest p4k/fantano hyped album is?

If the former, what have you been checking out, how do you do it and what did you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

albumoftheyear.org/ratings/6-highest-rated/2017/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wtf is the point of me listening to lots of shite when p4k and melon can filter out the best albums for me

I just listen to the stuff in this pic

>wtf is the point of me having my own taste and personality when I can be a carbon copy of other people

These

Your not special for listening to obscure, lesser music

>wtf is the point of basing your listening list on verified people who have time and skills of music listening, when I can just listen to 10 random albums I found myself and pretend that they're my orginal taste

inorite, fuck anything made before 1990 amirite xD

It's actually a really good pic with a wide variety of stuff though

>verified people
>fantano and schreiber

lmao

>I just listen to the stuff in this pic
Why limit yourself to one chart?

I listen exclusively to what Scaruffi says I should

Well I'll limit myself to it until I finish it, and then I'll listen to other things.

I browse through lists on rym and discogs and explore labels of albums I like.

Both. I explore different genres and listen to latest proclaimed hits like Damn. or Divide. Of course I have my favorite artists like Depeche Mode and found Spirit an exquisite album.

There is little point to trying to find obscure music if you'd not getting paid for it. That why a&rs exist. You do realise that by doing this you are somebody's job for free.b

You can do both my dude

(you)

What about all the genres Fantano and p4k never talk about?

I'll listen to forty more albums from it before taking a break and listening to other things.

they dont matter

kitschfork and fagtano are the worst places to go for music news/reviews

Electronic = Resident Advisor
Rock = Scaruffi
Art music = Gramaphone
Jazz = Allaboutjazz
Patrician music = The Wire

Like what? Pitchfork review every single genre on the planet

I don't know I mostly listen to neo prog and power metal

epic :^)

t. Poohkali

Then you won't every get taste. There is no point in developing taste united you are being paid for it.

Pleb.

/thread

These are good but you'll rarely find obscure music on them. Dig deeper man.

I'd rather be expert in a few genres than trying hard to be eclectic

What

Who/how did fantano, Scaruffi and p4k decide what to review in the first place?

>digging

They advise on the best albums and releases of the year, there is no reason to dig when they've done that for you and told you what the objectively best of the year are.

i mostly stick to the same old stuff really
i keep meaning to branch out a bit more but rarely do

I remember the days when people enjoyed looking for music by themselves instead of whatever was shilled heavily by people with $$$ and privilege.

Music is dying.

they just review wahtever's popular

taht's how it's always been user. don't delude yourself

Money.

This is literally the only new music source you need.

albumoftheyear.org/ratings/6-highest-rated/2017/1

If you think they listen to every album out there you are sadly mistaken. All you'll get from them is hyped music and 'classics'.

Scaruffi definitely isn't getting paid

No you don't

thank god

Money. What's the point in being good at something and doing it for free. If you want to develop it fine but after a few week or months you better start putting out monetized reviews or getting jobs for it otherwise you are literally eating your time honing an opinion that nobody will pay for.

I'm not deluding myself, when I was younger, at least during the 2000s most of the people I knew, including myself were more open to digging for music on our own. Nowadays, at least in 2017 it seems that people want to be spooned everything by an industry that is increasingly stratifying itself.

Yeah it allows him to maintain his integrity :)

>Sup Forums is just a board of clueless drones

that explains a lot

It wasn't always this way, Sup Forums was actually decent at finding stuff at one point.

Well congrats on discovering Radiohead on your own during the 2000s

Thats why genre generals are so hard to keep going because apart from a handful of really interested fans, most here just jump from one hyped album to the next.

No, I'm talking about finding music through its association with other music, or just crate digging, or friend's bands and going to shows. The way that people used to find music.

>Yui and his 300 post-rock sharethreads
>BlackRoseImmortal and his 300 prog-rock sharethreads

Damn you mediafire

Tripfags were actually good for something on Sup Forums.

But tons of peopel still do this and it's actually a million times easier now that everyone's on the internet

There was no taste in those threads he literally just listed any album he could find.

Yeah, but Sup Forums doesn't anymore.

I find stuff all the time that I never see on Sup Forums, probably because I know a lot of people who work in music.

I always feel like I'm out there trying new stuff and getting into different things or delving deeper into certain genres. The shitty thing is that a lot of times I'll listen to something and then a week later Fantano will review it and it'll be the first thing I see on the utube. I've had this happen countless times and I'm honestly tired of seeing shit I like be shit he likes because then some faggot basement dweller on the internet will accuse me of being a Fantano nut licker.

Times when Fantano could have ruined something for me had I been a little less apathetic.

>Blanck Mass
>Prurient
>Zs
>Kamasi Washington
>Oneohtrix Point Never
>Deaf Grapes

why are these different colors?

Resident Advisor reviews a lot of pretty obscure stuff

>Current year
>A&R
>Paid to find music

wew lad

Yeah this.

Found the nu friend

They open iTunes/Spotify whatever and look at the new releases section and that's it

What the fuck does that site even do?

this

>Do you explore different genres
Not if I don't like them, no
>just listen to whatever the latest p4k/fantano hyped album is?
I don't follow either of those two

>Not if I don't like them, no

Did you really need to post this obviousness?

more importantly why the fuck is bebop and big band in rock music

On a board full of people who try to post their eclectic tastes?

Yes of course.

personally, I like stemming off of movements. since you can trace most influence back years and years it's easy to find where something began

i liked miles davis fusion stuff, so i found out that they influenced king crimson, who influenced canterbury scene with soft machine, who influenced rock in opposition with henry cow. now rock in opposition is one of my 5 favorite genres just by stumbling upon it while researching. music is a rabbit hole

I usually listen to a community radio station, they have a lot of interesting stuff usually. It's how I discover a lot of interesting bands.

don't talk shit about RA kiddo

>Not if I don't like them
P L E B

>Do you explore different genres
Yes

>or just listen to whatever the latest p4k/fantano hyped album is?
Who?

>If the former, what have you been checking out
Future jazz

>how do you do it
Discogs mostly

> and what did you think?
Amazing so far

>forcing yourself to like a type of music

Why would you do that?

I don't force myself to like anything, but it's right to see what a genre is about even if you don't like it imo

Wheres the line between trying to see what a genre is about and exploring? 3 albums, 5 albums?

I don't know about that, I usually ask Fantano

But really, it all depends on how much time you have to waste

>this entire thread

you insecure brainless drones

But why would you waste time exploring a genre you didn't like from the X number of albums tried instead of investing that time in music you do like?

the ideal patrician ideology. U may not like it, but this is what peak dilettantedom looks like

Damn this thread actually makes me sad.

All these ppl saying u shouldn't dig for music unless ur getting paid to. I love music, listening and making and learning about it, it is personally rewarding to find new stuff that you like. Is everything you do in life only because you get money for it? If so this is depressing

maybe you have a day when you have nothing to do and just feel like discovering new shit, so you decide to give it a go
if you dont have the time you just listen to something you like, feel comfortable, but getting out of the comfort zone is a great way of finding new music
sometimes you listen something for the first time and you hate it, and 6 months later you give it another go and you love it (happened to me with ITAOTS and DG)

if you never feel the urge to find new music is because you just dont like music and you should gtfo

thats very evident, yeah

That makes total sense, next time I have a day off I'm going to spend it doing something I hate instead of trying something new that I love, brilliant.

no one said you have to hate it, maybe you just dont like it (big difference)
if someone only listens to rock, he is missing a lot of great electronic albums just because "he doesnt like the beep-bop"
if you hate something and think is too bad to give somehting good then dont listen to it wtf, we just talking about potential masterpiece genres/artists

yeah i agree. something about the haircut and the shirt makes me love the pic so much.

>P4k
>Melon
Best albums
Kill urself my man

been listening to Zebra Katz/Mykki Blanco/Le1f/etc. lately
it's way out of my comfort zone but I fucking love it
though I don't think I understand it enough to explain what I like about it yet
other than "it sounds good"

Maybe that other thread was right about the place getting flooded by underage

underage who are ignorant because underage but think they are enlightened because they listen to whatever Sup Forums tells them to

Sup Forumscore are the best albums ever made and try to post a better top 5 albums of 2017 not given high scores by p4k or fantano

protipyoufuckingcant

I explore genres that make sense given what I already listen to. I try not to be the "oh I listen to everything" guy but I try to branch out beyond my comfort zone every now and then. I find an album that I already like, search it on rym, and find a list or category that it falls in and go from there. I've been guilty of relying on reviews and charts to find new music but after a while I find that just listening to stuff yourself without any other input is far more effective in terms of developing your taste.

>other people can pick out my opinions for me

You are a special kind of retard

Both I guess. Not necessarily p4k or fantano, but also not specifically avoiding them. At the moment I'm trying to get into more post punk because I heard some stuff I liked that was described as post punk. So I just started with some big names and used whatever resources I had to expand that, which includes random publications like p4k or nme, or peoples opinions on something like that. So I just develop a backlog in that genre, listen to it and decide what I like. From there I take the things I liked and try to figure out what I liked about them and try to find stuff that either inspired them or they inspired, as well as stuff considered similar.

I delete all the music on my phone every so often to stop myself from listening to the same things, that's a big part of it since I'm forced to listen to new shit even if I'm in the mood for listening to something I already like

They're closed minded plebs, Sup Forums is infested with plebs.