That wasn't good. That really wasn't very good...

That wasn't good. That really wasn't very good. I mean Only God Forgives wasn't that bad and Lost River was even better and Ryan isn't even a real director. What the fuck happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OvUJsu5w8IU
youtube.com/watch?v=jCT0yhihKj0
youtu.be/zEXQjc651Vk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Was it Refns take on modern feminism?

I liked it alot.

You might be a pleb

>What the fuck happened?
Refn just outgrew the last of the pleb fan base that he acquired with Drive.

it was his critique of modern Hollywood's obsession with beauty and It girls

That I don't find enjoyment in badly directed and pointless characters and scenes? Granted there were few good scenes/shots, but most of them were meh. Plus OST is a repetative dull embient shit.

Yeah, but drive was consistent in itself, the characters did not have a lot of exposition, but it was smart and minimalistic. In Demon, however, we have line as
>HURR WHEN I WAS A KID MA MAMMA TOLD ME I AM DANGEROUS HURRR
and
>DURR MOON IS LIKE A BIG EYE I WONDER IF IT LOOKS AT ME DURR
she was telling her completely useless boyfriend

>it was x

This isn't one of those movies.

speak for yourself.
the movie had amazing visuals, sound and atmosphere and surprisingly a lot of narrative. also the ending was awesome.

youtube.com/watch?v=OvUJsu5w8IU

>HURR I DRIVE HURR IT'S ONLY PART TIME HURR

Yeah, but we didn't need to know that she's a dreamy girl type or whatever, because she's a fucking model, who else could she be?But with that line in Drive we might know that he doesn't want to let the girl know about his criminal work and maybe plans to stop that activity and live with her.

>le all models are le dreamy (other than every other model character in the movie)

Yes, there were few good track and shots, but around 35-50% of the movie is pointless and could easily be cut to increase quality of the movie.

>teenage young country no skills only pretty face girl
>not dreamy
nigga you serious?
also, other models were already old and jealous, when your old and jealous you don't have time for dreams

stop comparing neon demon to drive of ogf guys. it makes no sense. Drive and ogf are caried by amazing goat actor goose while neon demon is painstakingly pulled by useless-dumb-cute-teen #2340.
You don't compare gourmet food with dog shit, right? so stop comparing those movies.

OP is a millenial with ADHD

this x100
gooseman is a kino-machine

Honestly my FOTY so far

nothing wrong with 'pointless' stuff as long as it's entertainting.
I'd argue that the majority of movies and videogames is style over substance.

flop of the year is ballsbusters though

Film of the year* my good trool

why did you take my bait if you knew it was bait?
are you a "correct the record" kind of guy?

Nicolas Winding Refn's wife needs to fucking slap him and rein that idiot into line. The Pusher trilogy was magnificent. Drive was very good. Only God Forgives was a ladyboy wankfest and he's lost the goddamn plot with The Neon Demon.

Also, his fucking turkeyneck pisses me off.

Gobble, gobble, look at me, I'm Nicolas Winding Refn! Gobble, gobble.

Pusher is his worst work by far. Drive was OK. If you don't understand by now that he's a visual director then stop watching films. He's elevated his style to new heights with OGF and TND.

he hates the Pusher movies and only did them for money

I saw him in a interview saying he thought the first one was a awful film

I thought it was brilliant and the sequel are twoof his best works

is it worse than Bronson? because that was pretty fucking terrible

Bronson was great and it jumpstarted Tom Hardy's career

Neon Demon:
A young girl arrives in Hollywood looking to climb the ladder with her natural beauty. She gains the attraction of the top people working within the model industry and makes a phenomenal runway performance. Thus she becomes arrogant and wants to remain pure. By denying the sexual satisfaction of those around her, she is ultimately consumed by them in hopes of gaining her natural aesthetic beauty.

Nicholas Winding Refn:
Fairly successful foreign director, known for his stylized films, helms Drive. The movie becomes a massive successful and propels Refn into the who's who of the film industry. Refn, cocky and arrogant, begins work on his follow up, Only God Forgives. The move premiers at Cannes and Nicholas believes it will win the palme d'or, as stated the documentary shot during OGF's production. Instead the film is responded by boos and this reaction is shared by many audiences and critics during its release. Though his two films proceeding Drive have been decisive, it is easy to find Refn's neon hued, deep shadowed, 80's atmospheric aesthetic that has been copied by various other media that have become successful and notarized for their style.

P O E T R Y

It was a horror film about werewolves

only Refn could take Bronson's story as it were and be inspired to make a live action "visual" wankfest absent of substance

and it wasn't particularly impressive on the visual front, so what was great about it?

It's deals with fame/personaas a theme in a interesting way

juvenile way

>shut the fuck up, you cunt
youtube.com/watch?v=jCT0yhihKj0

Entertaining isn't pointless, I agree, what I'm saying is the movie had a lot of moments devoid of atmosphere, good cinematography, aesthetics. There were just very long shots of something with repetative ambient music, it's not atmospheric, it's bland and boring.
This I guess. Refn without a strong actor is shit I guess.

It was really good, my film of the year so far
The last act was weak, but the final scene made up for it so it's okay

Agree. I'm really surprised by Sup Forums reaction, I thought more people would enjoy it.

It's a 90 minutes movie, there's no point in saying certain scenes could be removed because it's not about what the director is trying to say but what he's showing with each scene i.e. a lot of beautiful people who only care for themselves.

OST is a hit or miss depending on your take on electronic music, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Looking forward to rewatch it when a brip will come out.

Is Refn right about there being a 16-year-old girl inside all of us?

>a lot of beautiful people who only care for themselves
like that's an idea to carry a full fucking feature

he's a shallow cunt feigning artistry

a 16 year old lesbian girl

>and then they kissed

boy she's ugly

youtu.be/zEXQjc651Vk

Why does Ryan bully Refn?

he's still salty that refn didn't care about alienating audiences with OGF and that when he tried to copy refn, critics were even harsher

it's just bantz

You being a filthy plebiscite happened

>plebiscite
Dumb phoneposter.

Autists can't handle the bantz. To force it upon them is cruel.