ITT: great albums that are overshadowed by better/more famous albums in the artist's discography

ITT: great albums that are overshadowed by better/more famous albums in the artist's discography

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I0fybOfazSU
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=15m8s
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=8m27s
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=33m43s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tweez is the better album though.

I'd say Spiderland was superior, but regardless not nearly enough people talk about Tweez

Low key best CT, coming through.

tweez sounds much worse
and the songwriting gets old quickly despite being so short

too bad albini ruined the production trying to make them into a big black clone, it would still be pretty fucking good if it sounded a little different

also my misphonia makes kent the most disgusting track i've ever listened to
ends well though

How about this? Imo it's their most underrated

Nah, even Albini knows that Spiderland is their masterpiece.

Overrated*

god dammit

Actually this is

best thing phil has released to date

Naomi is in top 5 of their best songs desu

I'll give it a listen

This and song against sex are great

secretly their best album imo

also Gardenhead

agreed, clearly that other guy doesn't come on here often enough

not as good as Doolittle but still deserves cred

What? Surfer Rosa isn't overshadowed by any means, when people discuss the best Pixies album it's either that one or Doolittle. If you had said Trompe le Monde, that would've made more sense.

I agree, I generally recommend Surfer Rosa before Doolittle, because it's more rudimentary and raw. A more distinguished album overall

that album is shit m8
good album, i don't think it's overshadowed though
it's ok
it's good, not overshadowed though
haha, no. their second worst
9/10, but ITAOTS is 10/10
their couple album post-Doolittle are better imo

Not *quite* on the level of ITAOTS but I probably listen to it more
It's my favorite summer album by far and it's got so many killer tracks on it

I will always defend this album. Fucking love it so much

I've always liked this more than s/t, even when I first started exploring Violent Femmes.

i actually liked it more than loveless

i swear to god i put the image in

its different from pink moon

might actually be at the level of pet sounds

The only song on it that reaches the level of Pet Sounds is Good Time.

You've Passed is 10/10 also, amazing

It's better than The Moon & Antarctica imo

It's still fairly new, but I know that Benji will always overshadow it.

There's good music on this album, and I love how vague the lyrics are to build suspense. Albini's production messed it up though IMO.

Fuck Painted Shut that shit's got like 3 good songs

Man I love the hell out of Loveless but I still have a hard time with this one
All I Need kills though

Their best EP
Glider is also better than YMMR

best nick drake album

One of the worst contrarian opinions I've heard, and I have a friend who refuses to listen to Pet Sounds because Surfin' USA was a thing

I think you spelled "ding dang" wrong

That's not You Made Me Realize.

Are you retard ?

People usually point to Emperor Tomato Ketchup or Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements but pic related is easily my favorite Stereolab album.

No. As you can see, I don't have retard opinions, like thinking that Glider is the best My Bloody Valentine EP.

(cont)
Sorry, I meant Tremolo, but hey, they're practically the same shitty fucking record.

Same. In general I prefer later Stereolab to earlier Stereolab. Cobra, Sound-Dust, and Margerine are seriously under-appreciated.

Pleb af

You prefer the two EP's that are 25% already on Loveless?
YMMR is more novel and formative than those afterthought albums.

>mfw the intro to Kent

Fucking grating as hell every time

fucking amazing album
still you made me realise EP is the greatest music MBV has ever made

THANK YOU

Aside from the title track YMMR is basically Britpop. Glider and Tremolo have a way better shoegazy sound and some interesting experiments, plus Tremolo has generally more satisfying songwriting.
>25% already on Loveless
Why would this matter unless you're a ">muh full albums" pleb? Regardless even if you removed THKW I'd still rather listen to Tremolo over YMMR.

This

The Charm of the Highway Strip is my favorite Magnetic Fields album but I'm not sure if there is a generally most acclaimed album by them. Is it 69 Love Songs?

>Aside from the title track YMMR is basically Britpop
Sure, when I think noisy, fuzzy guitars with songwriting akin to 80s 4AD and The Jesus and Mary Chain, the first thought that comes to my mind is "basically britpop." lol

Loveless accomplished what it needed to do, and while the Tremelo/Glider EPs serve as nice bonuses, they don't stand out--too similar to Loveless.

YMMR is the first time MBV truly starts sounding like MBV, and everything they did afterwards can be traced back that EP. Without it, there is no Loveless.

To be honest though, my favorite MBV track is on neither of those records.
youtube.com/watch?v=I0fybOfazSU

yeh

I think that they sorta tie, honestly, senpai.

This, it's an amazing album, just as good as VDC

Objectively their best work

The consensus seems to be Oh, Inverted World is their best but this one is honestly a 9, pushing 10.

Literally every other album they released in the 80s is better than this
Submitting pic related as a response to OP's question

Bad Moon Rising and Murray Street are their best.

>that opinion
Oh yikes...

Sister is literally just an inferior prequel to Daydream Nation

Its nothing like DN. Its a completely different album

this

Contrarian af, my man.

I likes this better than his self titled tbqhwyf

Most people just listen to Solid State Survivor and don't even bother to check out any of YMO's more experimental and/or solo work.

Sister is their most emotional, textural, and lyricaly image laden work. DN is good, but its mostly just a catchy rock album

Shellac and Rapeman are overshadowed by Big Black

>but its mostly just a catchy rock album
GO TO BED

Eh, rapeman is just proto-big black imo. Once youve heard big black, rapeman just sounds meh

But he formed Rapeman after disbanding Big Black with the people from Scratch Acid (Or was it Jesus Lizard).
Albini didn't even know how to play guitar before he started Big Black.

Its true though. DN was Sonic Youths attempt (and a successful one) to merge their iconic noisy sound with more accessible rock music. Its a great album, but its not nearly as interesting or unique as Sister

Spirit and Merriweather have overshadowed all their other albums, and they're all great (well, 8/11 ain't bad). But Sung Tongs definitely has the highest quality/unpopularity ratio.

DDN is much more varied but there isn't really anything on Sister that wasn't done better on it, except maybe Beauty Lies in the Eye.

Bad Moon Rising is obviously their most textural album. Most emotional is debatable but I don't really care anyway.
>lyricaly image laden
>mostly just a catchy rock album
Haha what the fuck do either of these even mean?

>Haha what the fuck do either of these even mean?
Theyre pretty self explanatory

>DN was Sonic Youths attempt (and a successful one) to merge their iconic noisy sound with more accessible rock music
No, that was Sister. Daydream Nation was a successful attempt to improve and expand on that by moving away from simple pop and punk structures into a more minimalist improvisatory approach characterised by lengthy studio jams that were later edited down to workable song lengths, as well as a generally higher level of variety and experimentation and better songwriting. It basically made Sister obsolete.

I agree, my black friend.

>No, that was Sister
No, it wasnt

I wouldn't call it "mostly catchy rock music" when a song can end with a three-and-a-half minute instrumental section featuring a guitar blaring without any kind of structure or melody.
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=15m8s

Or when another track just splits apart into cacophony.
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=8m27s

Or when an entire track is an ambient piano piece played over an answering machine.
youtu.be/PVwJMOtfJbU?t=33m43s

Is it catchy? Fuck yes. But it's also way more than that--nearly every song on that record ends in a wildly different place than where it started, yet reaches those points effortlessly. It's discordant, disorienting, exciting, and yet paced in such a way to never become exhausting. Few rock records have ever achieved this (White Light / White Heat, New Day Rising, You're Living All Over Me, to name a few).

I love Sister, by the way. But DN is WAY MORE than just a "mostly catchy rock record." It's fucking exceptional.

>he thinks im going to read this
Heh

Are you just shitposting at this point or are you legitimately this dumb and incorrigible? Nice digits either way.

>can't read 10 sentences
well, at least you'll never have to acknowledge why you're wrong.

>WAHH YOU DISAGREED WITH MY BLATANTLY WRONG ASSERTIONS! YOU USED COMMON VOCABULARY THAT I DONT UNDERSTAND! HOW CAN YOU BE SO DUMB!?
If you really think Sister was their attempt at appealing to the more casual rock audience then youre the idiot. Also you used the word minimalist to describe DN which makes you a fucking idiot. And how exactly does an improvastional studio jam album (as you described it) make a pop and punk styled (as you described it) album obsolete?

Calling them "blatantly wrong" does not make them wrong. Simply negating my point is not an argument.
>If you really think Sister was their attempt at appealing to the more casual rock audience then youre the idiot.
Why? It was much less experimental than both EVOL and DDN
>Also you used the word minimalist to describe DN which makes you a fucking idiot.
This shows how little you know about SY. Branca was a notable influence throughout their career, as was Krautrock. Several songs on DDN evince this, particularly "The Sprawl".
>And how exactly does an improvastional studio jam album (as you described it) make a pop and punk styled (as you described it) album obsolete?
Because DDN had both.

>They were influeced by an artist that has done minimalist work in the past and thus they are minimalist
Holy fucking shit you are dumb. DN is not a minimalist album.

Nice strawman.

>described DN as minimalist
>get called out on it
>argues "b-but they were influenced by glenn branca!"
>implying this some how makes DN a minimalist album
>fall back on naming random irrelevant argument fallacy as internet pseudo intellectuals always do

More minimalist songwriting approach != minimalist music
You're really grasping at straws here.