New Star Trek! New Star Trek! TV Show

> Star Trek: Discovery is an upcoming American television series created by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman for CBS All Access, due to premiere in January 2017.

> he looked to take advantage of the streaming format of All Access by telling a single story arc across the entire first season

> the series would feature minority, female, and LGBTQ characters, with the latter being of particular importance to Fuller.

GAY

>LGBTQ

I'm trans. Glad, finally, we can have some positive recognition.

Old news is old.

Who fucking cares about Star Trek anymore.

Let it die

>he looked to take advantage of the streaming format of All Access by telling a single story arc across the entire first season

I love this bit.

>streaming format
>All Access

This sounds bad.

>single story arc per season

That's risky. So we won't get any time to develop a beloved Trek crew this time.

>That's risky.

> He prefers stale episodes that tell a shitty story that ends in 40min and never comes back.

I don't think it means that the characters will change majorly between seasons, just that there'll be more long-running plots ala DS9.

>“There’s a wonderful sense of what we need as humans,” says Fuller of the show. “We need to be explorers. We need to discover. We need to expand. We need to heal where we are right now. Because we’re in some dangerous territory as a country. I don’t take the responsibility lightly—to continue acknowledging that beacon in the stars for us to aspire to, for us to be better people.”

>He continues, “Because there’s so much ignorance-based fear in this country, and demagogues who would prey on that fear, it is the scientists and the explorers and the dreamers that are going to bring this country and the world to the place that it needs to be. And I would love for us to end up in Gene Roddenberry’s vision of the future. That’s one of the appeals of Star Trek. People see it, and they dream about being explorers and being part of something greater than themselves. Right now it’s very, very easy to get lost in ignorance and fear.”

>“We were looking for a new aesthetic,” explains Fuller. “We can’t just go back to the same aesthetic. You look at what J.J. Abrams did with that 2009 movie, which reinvented Star Trek in such a wonderful way and claimed that territory. So we had to strike new ground that had Star Trek in its DNA at a fundamental level. To make a commitment to the fanbase, who are aware of Star Trek and its iterations—both the shows that made it to the airwaves and the ones that didn’t. So it felt like a really nice way to let the hardcore Star Trek audience know that I have their backs.”

>The Fuller-hosted Star Trek 50th Anniversary panel at Comic-Con included the presence of fan-favorite cast members from all five Trek TV series: William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Michael Dorn, Jeri Ryan, and Scott Bakula. Since the new series will take place in Trek‘s original Prime Universe, we asked Fuller if there was any chance these legends could someday return to their roles.

>“Never say never,” he replied, “I love everybody on that panel. I would love to work with them in some capacity. And I won’t stop until I do. So wish us luck.”

>“Let me tell you something,” says Michael Dorn, the man who gave Trek‘s most famous Klingon, Worf, his warrior’s heart. “I always say, ‘We’re in space for God’s sake—who knows?’ You never know.”

>Jeri Ryan shares the sentiment. “It could not be in better hands,” says the once (and future?) Seven of Nine. “Truly. I am beyond thrilled that Bryan has taken the helm on this show. I think it’s just gonna be incredible… Yeah, never say never. It could be fun to re-explore.”

>Though Trek has a grand tradition of iconic female characters, going back to Nichelle Nichols’ Lieutenant Uhura (the first African-American woman to regularly appear in a TV drama playing a character other than a maid) all the way up to Kate Mulgrew’s series lead Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager, one can’t help but wonder what kinds of ladies one might we see in a post-Force Awakens, post-Fury Road chapter of the franchise. Will there be even more consistently complete and complex female characterizations?

>“Definitely,” says executive producer Heather Kadin, Fuller’s partner on Discovery. “I also think, even with those movies aside, if you just take the evolution of Star Trek itself in the various series, it’s been going in that direction. To hear Jeri Ryan talk about all that her character got to do and got to experience, and the groundbreaking things that she got to do, compared to what we’ll be able to do now, I think is really important. Yes, that’s definitely something that we’re gonna focus on and is gonna feel very present in a way that it hasn’t before.”

>Our CBS All Access and Showtime OTT streaming services have surpassed two million subscribers, about evenly split, well ahead of where we’d thought we’d be this early in the game.

>We’ve licensed our ‘Star Trek’ franchise in the international marketplace, guaranteeing our new series will be profitable even before it launches and begins driving [subscriptions] here in the US on CBS All Access.

>We also struck a significant international deal with Netflix for ‘Star Trek,’ licensing our new series ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to 188 Netflix countries around the world – virtually everywhere but North America.

>As a result, ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ our new series, is profitable – and we haven’t even begun production.

>We still have additional windows to sell the show in second and third cycles down the road. It’s also safe to say that ‘Star Trek’ will lead to a significant bump in subscribers for CBS All Access here in the US.

>We looked at the marketplace and decided what was best for the franchise. Netflix obviously had the previous seasons before… it was one [licensing] deal as opposed to executing a hundred different deals in different countries – and by the way, it was a lot of money in US dollars.

>So when you summed it all up, it just kind of made sense.

>The reason the Netflix buy was so healthy [is because Netflix] has already seen what ‘Star Trek’ is doing on their service. From day one, it performed extraordinarily well. That is one of the reason we decided to put it on All Access, obviously, to help build our own [subscriptions].

>Going forward, obviously, we’re doing thirteen episodes initially with ‘Star Trek,’ we are fairly certain – although we haven’t done one day of production – that the series is gonna go on for a while.

>We have spin-offs of spin-offs, you know? It’s a very, very valuable franchise that can turn into hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for us.

I want a Questioning character that just spends all episode just looking confused and thoughtful.

So Data?

holy shit.

LOL you're right! How did he not think of that?

>>We have spin-offs of spin-offs, you know? It’s a very, very valuable franchise that can turn into hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for us.

If this was about literally anything but Trek I would be so riggered

>obvious star wars fan is obvious
>LGBTQ characters
they already dealt with this many times in the past. simple pandering to idiots who wouldn't watch otherwise (ratings grab)

Doesn't appeal to me unless it helps bring back Sci fi and space opera series. When will we get something like Farscape or even Battlestar Galactica again?

The single story arc does sound interesting and I'd be interested in seeing how that turns out. I've really been wanting to see a show experiment with more or less continous time-frame that forces the inclusion of plot-unnecessary day to day fillers that flesh out characters in a casual situation.

I really like the new new. I dont get all the hate

#MCQUARRIELIVES

Star Trek is about the characters. Sacrificing that for le epic stories is dumb as hell. Especially if they're doing another fucking anthology series.

It's from people who don't watch Star Trek.

I was in the threads when the teaser was released and it was the same retards that came here to talk about every other SDCC capeshit and franchiseshit trailer.

Has there _ever_ been a Bryan Fuller series that didn't focus on the characters?

I won't watch if there is an LGBTQ character.

Yes I'm a bigot. Praise Kek.

this one's for you, Mike!

Good for you. Please don't come into Trek threads and shit post and ruin it for people who actually want to enjoy the show.

No networks standards when it comes to cursing, boobs and shieet.

>That's risky. So we won't get any time to develop a beloved Trek crew this time.

They are doing a single main story per season, so it runs like almost all modern TV-shows.

Abrams has already ruined Star Trek for me to the point of it being unhealable so this show can't possibly be worse than his fucking violent rape of the franchise.

It's not an anthology series that was a dumbass rumor

here's a novel idea: ALL SERIES ARE ABOUT THE CHARACTERS. it's the predicament, conflicts, and character interaction is what makes a series interesting or entertaining. however, while plot may be secondary, that doesn't mean you throw away all semblance of internal series logic or resolve the overall story very weakly and then think you can get away with it by saying it's about the characters. looking at you Lindelof and Abrams.

Fuller's great but is he jumping ship from American Gods so quickly or is that just a one season series based off the book?

>Though Trek has a grand tradition of iconic female characters, going back to Nichelle Nichols’ Lieutenant Uhura (the first African-American woman to regularly appear in a TV drama playing a character other than a maid) all the way up to Kate Mulgrew’s series lead Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager, one can’t help but wonder what kinds of ladies one might we see in a post-Force Awakens, post-Fury Road chapter of the franchise. Will there be even more consistently complete and complex female characterizations?

So. Having fully developed female characters that make sense in universe isn't enough. So we need mary sue?

>We also struck a significant international deal with Netflix for ‘Star Trek,’ licensing our new series ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to 188 Netflix countries around the world – virtually everywhere but North America.
>As a result, ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ our new series, is profitable – and we haven’t even begun production.
>We still have additional windows to sell the show in second and third cycles down the road. It’s also safe to say that ‘Star Trek’ will lead to a significant bump in subscribers for CBS All Access here in the US.

So they will break even regardless of quality. Good thing is that there probably will be second season, even if first doesn't deliver. Bad thing, there will be 2nd season and no pressure to improve product even if 1st season will fail to deliver.

>being over 18
>still watching Star Trek

>Having fully developed female characters that make sense in universe isn't enough. So we need mary sue?
How you got that from what he said, I'll never know.

>So. Having fully developed female characters that make sense in universe isn't enough. So we need mary sue?

I would almost believe this is satire if I hadn't been on this board the last few months