What type of coin is this

What type of coin is this

Other urls found in this thread:

coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143589
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipater
openlibrary.org/books/OL1595989M/Cocina_sonorense
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this one of those coins you make with a hydraulic press and a brass slug?

The limited edition nigger coin

A SHEKLE!

looks like an ancient greek coin from a glance, but its probably fake

Fake. Probably one of those new Trump Dollars.

Dude, the thing was cast, not struck.

Shekels were silver.

"Yes. This is a modern, crude imitation of a prutah of Alexander Jannaeus, made in large quantities for sale in Christian stores under the name of "Widow's Mite". Utterly worthless. If you open your mail regularly in the USA, one of them is bound to be gummed to a "charitable" solicitation." Via CoinCommunity.com

How'd you find it? Reverse image search?

Prutoth were made from bronze. OP's "coin" is not bronze.

Its a fake shekel of sorts, while fake it mimics a coin in Judaea in the years 103-76BC during the rule of Alexander Jannaeus.

No I typed in "bird with cross coin" into google it was like the first image lmao.

Yet the inscription is in Greek. C'mon, dude, try harder.

BAS is short for Basilius, the greek word for King

Basilius with the Cruciform implies that this is a Byzantine gold coin, the fact that its not paper thin implies its an older one

Fucking lawl. I'm pretty sure it's a Greek letter psi by the way.

Did you sleep during history the greeks took over the world, Alexander the Great, pretty much ruled world including jew land.

This is the back

Did you take the picture with a potato?

here are the links if you doubt my research do it yourselves

coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=143589

even during the Latin empire Attic Greece was considered to be the cultural capital of the world. Greek was the "lingua franca" during the last half of the republic and the Greek empire persisted until the fall of Constantinople in the mid 15th century

>not English

It's a nigger coin. Next?

The Greeks had nothing to do with the Roman colonization of the Holy Land.

βασιλικόν

False, Herod the Great was descended from none other than Antipater, who was a general of Alexander

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipater

That's not research, that's mindless googling. Do you know what the word "numismatics" means?

pick your holy land asshole the greeks were first to conquer it, sorry about your roman love, but the salad dressing, and cuisine is the only thing left of their shit stain on history.

used dinar, hard to trace

>the salad dressing
You don't possibly mean the Caesar salad dressing, do you?

Don't want to spoil the surprise, but that was created in Tijuana, Baja California, in 1927.

Why don't you go visit s,n,a.p.c,h,a.t.y(,)me to leak local sluts nudes.

I had way more links but the chan thinks i'm spam and i'm drunk so I only left the one with an exact pic. I feel like i'm giving a god damn history lesson already gosh, my bad...

actually America could easily said to be the last remnants of the Roman Republic

York was a Roman imperial capital

A duke of york (from the Latin Dux) formed America

and now America is a republic that even uses the symbol of the fasces

OP, honey, I own real prutoth. You do not have one here. You have something that was cast from some metal other than bronze. Prutoth were struck from bronze planchets during the time of Christ. I don't know what all these other anons are on about but they have not been coherent in their comments.

we even use the Roman foot, the bricks used by Marcus Agrippa to build during the early empire are almost exactly one American foot

That was King John. Go home, you're drunk.

Clipped coin by jews

Did you know the burrito was also invented around that time in baja California, truly culinary genius in that time period in mexico. I didn't know that it was made there, but I do now. Thanks for correcting me.

nah youre the drunk one

That looks like the Seleukid anchor

Says BAS, short for basileus ("king") on left. Can't make out the right side though

the greek is very old, those letters are in the old form, thats why everyone is having trouble translating it

the letters in the middle appear to be connected

i'm reading FDMI or FEDNI

It's also no accident that we call the Senate the Senate. The Founders were huge fans of Rome.

The burrito is from Sonora. Don't lecture me, son, I live in Baja California. We did create the fish taco, if you're interested. Also the clamato, the Caesar salad and possibly the margarita. I said "possibly" so STFU.

1 kek dollar?

Yes, the inscription is ancient Greek. But the artefact is modern. It has been case from molten metal, it has not been struck from a planchet. The only people who used cast coinage were Chinese.

good eye, yes, there's a casting seam visible there on the side

the fact that its "struck" offcenter means that this is just a reproduction

strange that we can't find an example of the original

>pick your holy land asshole
I pick two.

*autistic screeching*

notice the edge isn't perfectly round

jews were notorious for shaving gold pieces

wouldnt they shave off that big glob where it was mis-struck though?

Planchets are struck off-center even today. People collect that shit, heaven only knows why. Those items are called "irregulars".

Cast metal -- this means metal that is melted and then cast into a mold -- is used for unofficial issues because it is much cheaper to produce than proper "struck" coinage. Modern examples of this style can be found in northern Mexico, issued by ranchos for the eventual payment on the harvest, "bueno por una carga".

ah fuck no, if anything the burrito has more basis in US part of California than that shit hole they call Sonora full cunts and politically driven assholes. Sonora is the bane of mexico.

lol at pepe cultists wasting money

Coin-clipping was first documented during the reign of Croesus. He was not Jewish exactly…
Big globs give away the fact that the "coin" is not real. Real coins do not permit clipping due to their regularity. Beading and milling are two ways in which coin-clipping can be frustrated.

it is a mite

this kind of globbing is common in older european coins, theres plenty of museum examples that have been authenticated that are struck offcenter like this

I have friends from central Mexico who came to the US and asked "WTF is a burrito?". The US knows more about the burrito than Mexico does because Sonorans have more to do with southwestern US than they do with Mexico. There is a town near Sacramento called Sonora because everyone who came there looking for gold in 1849 came from … you guessed it!

Look closer, please.

t. Butthurt greekroach whose shitty country gets quickly skipped in history class

an alexandrian coin with extreme globbing from being struck offcenter

Metallic

extremely deformed republican denarius

>imitation

Yes, that is a planchet struck off-center. It happens even today although not nearly as often as when striking was manual. Globs come from molten metal; planchets are softened by heat before striking but they are not molten.

Well I live in one of those dark green areas, but as a native Californian I can tell you that "Mexicans" have been here before the US and i'm pretty sure it wasn't the Mexicans from Sonora that came up with burrito rather the Mexicans that are Californian.

Is it the kind of coin you shove up your ass if someone gets quads?

Imagine the poor ancient fuck who got this coin as wages. Could never spend it on anything because everyone thought it was a fake. Why it was probably just saved all this time.

openlibrary.org/books/OL1595989M/Cocina_sonorense

The denarius started out as silver. Then it got debased with copper alloy. Then it became nothing more than a copper coin washed in silver. And yet that is nothing compared to what has happened to modern currency. Every single time that currency has been issued in paper form it has become worthless. Every single time. Not just the US dollar, but Harvard and Yale teach the rest of the governments how to steal.

It's the Jews

a metal one

After all the stupidity in this thread, your first reponse is still the most correct. It is probably something they sell to tourists in the Mediterranean.