What gives life meaning?

what gives life meaning?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Neurotransmitters

underrated post

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

choose a meaning for yourself.

nutting in a girl no condom , carelessly sniffing lines , gambling while geeked out , massage parlours , money .

Just go commit philosophical suicide already

using predator instead of conan photo..why?

i didnt even wanna bother to tell him, its what he wants.

Having as much fun as you see apropriate without doing something that you would consider wrong or immoral

the first meaning is sex for reproduction purposes. Once you can't do sex/reproduce anymore, you failed as a living being.

>to be underage again

the promise of eternal serenity in the garden of eden

An enemy.

Not op
But not the cause.

Integral function for sure, but not the cause of the cause.

Define meaning, bitch.

Death.

cumdumpsters

You.

life doesn't have meaning unless you give it meaning

My kids

Nothing, unless a god exist there is nothing to give meaning in life. Without a god meaning is merely something our minds create that holds no value in reality. Because we are alive we might as well chase this realizing fully the frivolousness of continuing our existence.

Do failing humans get to continue to life and will they constantly have to be reminded of their failure status?

>implying we need "meaning " to wake up every morning, go to work, spend money on stuff we don't need and go to sleep.

I think it's some form of embracing your ideology. Your ideology lies somewhere on this chart, no exceptions.

meaning is realizing that there is something more than what you describe

I think ultimately meaning comes from a rejection of the mindset you describe and belief in something "greater", be it religion or otherwise.

The continuation of and contribution to a society for example, like the old Greek proverb: "Society grows great when men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in."

Hedonism

Crushing your enemies. Seeing them driven before you. And hearing the lamentation of their women.

Dying

In order to argue that Meaning must actually exist, something needs to create it and it needs permanence, if meaning was completely relative then then meaning really wouldnt have value and at that point does it really become much different then what im saying. The seperator would really come down largely to a a belief in a theistic god/gods but assuming there is none its really hard to argue meaning is something that actually exist. Certainly all of us attempt to find meaning but we live in a world devoid of it. This is largely the tragedy of man. I never argued that we arent able to create something in our minds that we as individuals do put value on however that value is not universal.

>what gives life meaning?
being this guy and shooting up your high school after they mock you for momentarily finding happiness in your youth with super soakers

I would just go to s,n,a,p.c,h,a.t.y(,)me to fap to your ex-gfs nudes.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

The pursuit of knowledge, beauty, virtue and love.

You confuse meaning or purpose with being.

Life does not have a purpose. Living things do not have a purpose. They reproduce, but it is not their purpose. Humans love, but it is not their purpose.

Purpose implies that they were created with this intention. Without evidence for a conscious creator acting with intention or agency, they simply are, and are without purpose.

And that's okay.

Nothing. It's an illusion of a bigger picture. You think your life matters? There's a universe out there. You are nothing. You're only living the illusion you created.

user, I recommend you read "Theism and the Meaning of Life"-- it's a blog series, the name of the blog is Philosophical Disquisitions. Perhaps it will change your mind?

it honestly doesn't even have to be belief in something greater.

something very, very deeply powerful occurs when you put doubt into all your beliefs and perceptions, and apply yourself entirely with absolute openness to your experience.

you don't need belief in anything more, or any deep sense of meaning, to come to the realization that there is no separation between yourself and the rest of the universe, or your mind and the rest of the universe.

with that, it becomes very easy to become very deeply loving and empathetic, and to cultivate happiness without security or meaning.

Most religions and even political idealogies have many of these qualities, without coming to their full conclusion. They limit the loss of self to losing yourself within a group, as opposed to losing the self to nonduality.

youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q

Learn what meaning is and where you can find it.

>There's a universe out there. You are nothing.

Why does the universe being "out there" mean a person is nothing? A big, empty void is still a big, empty void no matter how big it is and it has no bearing on the value of an individual. If the universe was smaller would that make us of any more value?

Because time will pass as it has demonstrated. You are literally nothing more than carbon and time.

That is literally false.

Take a walk off a pier with your stupid, childish nihilism you emo fuck.

I agree with the two stoned birds

You must think highly of your worthless self.

I knew what this was before i even clicked on it.
OP here's your answer.

What does it mean for life to have no meaning?

Not him, but its true. From a physical perspective, you're a highly complex, highly organized system of different elements acting together as a biological machine.

Now, we have consciousness, which appears to be unique aside from a couple other mammals, and we have perception, while appears to only be limited to living beings.

However, as we move down towards less and less complex beings we can describe more and more of the results of their "perception' in terms of molecular biology. And from a physics perspective, we have no reason to think that the matter that makes of the brain is fundamentally any different from the matter that makes up anything else in the universe. Further, fundamental problems with conservation of energy arise when you consider the possibility that our brains could be controlled by some external "nonphysical" entity (i.e, a soul). We have no reason to believe that our perception and consciousness are anything but physical, as strange as it may seem. There are a few theories about this, but nothing yet that we have enough data to differentiate between.

So furthermore, unless there's a god in the conventional sense (which, again, there is not significant evidence to suggest), there is no intrinsic meaning or purpose to the universe, and so no intrinsic purpose to us; we're simply the accident of the laws that govern the matter in this universe.

Admittedly, we can "choose" to add meaning to our lives. its not necessarily a bad thing. But it must be recognized that its something we do entirely within our mind, that has no bearing on the significance (or lack thereof) of anything beyond ourselves.

though i will admit, it makes talking about things a bit tricky to begin with given that I don't see evidence for free will.

2much4normies
>Bbbbut I matter!

What the fuck is that for answer. I am high as fuck on lsd, weed, booze and a bunch of other stuff. This wasa serious question

Im sure you would know all about that. Nigger faggot.

The truth or what is evident is too much for people to accept. You wasted your time there.

Thought, social constructs and ideologies

Bro you don't need a complex answer for a simple question.

He meant it as a basic biological need to have offspring.

YES I DO

The moral hedonist.

Then you should consider a documentary.

There was a website that had a bounty for the most logical reason life exists and what may be
What was it?

Wikipedia

i know. But a part of me always has to try. i always hope that perhaps somebody will read it and it will help somebody. I feel like I look around at most people and they always seem to be so deeply stressed and place such deep importance on ultimately irrelevant things, and lead such negative, strussful, exausting, sad, or hateful lives for it.

Realize that things just are. Don't give a fuck. Love people. Be happy. Its not hard, but so few people seem to understand how simple it is, or always seem to prefer to hold onto old beliefs rather than critically evaluating them against evidence.

>>

The only thing that I conflicts me is vocal warming. Like what should I do? What should I believe?

What do you consider your "identity"?

Nothing.

Everything already exists, you will never have a truly original thought and anything you ever thought was original already exists.

Library of Babel.

that's up to you

Vocal warming is a lie, created by anrgy midle aged tenors.

>Because time will pass as it has demonstrated.

Alright? What exactly does that change?

>You are literally nothing more than carbon and time.

That is quite a reductionist statement. Diamonds and graphite are both "literally carbon" and yet you would not use the two materials interchangeably. No, emergent properties that arise from structure and organization makes a big difference.

Additionally, there is nothing about being made of carbon or even string cheese for that matter that by nature excludes you from being significant.

To add to this, they added an image option. Meaning that a picture portraying your death, your greatest accomplishment and all your failures exist somewhere among the billions of "possible" images. Anything you wish you did, could of done and had hoped to accomplish is there. There exist alternate realities, one where you ended up with that girl, one where you did something you should of not, one where something wen't differently. Waiting to be found.

What's beyond our universe though?

Computer died, phone posting.

Assuming you meant global warming, honestly, go to /sci/, open up their catalog, and read through one of their global warming threads. Somebody usually gets pissed and dumps a shitload of resources and info.

I don't consider myself to have a "self" or "identity" beyond the abstraction my brain uses to link past events to current perception. I have experiences, my brain processes them, and I react in a particular way to a particular stimuli.

Sit and watch the movements of your mind very closely, and you'll find the same thing. An idea occurs to you, but you don't make the idea. You make a decision, but the decision is only experienced by you.

I can't explain the particular reasons for perception, but such problems never justified a god of the gaps and they won't justify a ghost in the machine. I would honestly more readily accept panpsychism, if only because its at least logically consistent and doesn't oppose current observations, as insane as it sounds.

Why does anything exist?
What is time?

delusion is the only thing that gives life meaning

you need to shed your need for a "meaning" and think about the lives around you and their immediate needs instead

>its about putting a approximate box around yourself and fighting about other peoples approximate boxes

I think you need a better dictation device

Beta detected.

what kind of response is this?