Hello my name is Discovery!

Hello my name is Discovery!

I am one of the worlds first space ships. I have been to space 39 times. I am retired now and live in a hanger in Virginia where we keep our old space ships.

If there were any UFO/extra terrestials visiting near earth in the last 50 years, the aliens THEY would find would be from the united states of america

Hi my name is Columbia!

I was the first space shuttle. I did 5 launches in 1.5 years alone, some 3 months apart. I blew up Feb 1st 2003 on re-entry,

My name is Challenger,

Im a space ship built from 1972-1978 in California. I was the second space shuttle and went to space 10 times. Columbia's the champion at the time im launching after 5 launches in a row, but i start off strong and do 6 of the next 7 launches between us.

Columbia and I are the original two space shuttles. From first flight in 1981 and until 1984 we are the only two shuttles

I'm Atlantis,

I was built in 1985 in California and have been to space 33 times. My first flight was in 1985 and last in 2011. I have been 525 times the distance from the Earth to the Moon. I have seen space so many times I've been bored of it. You merely adopted space. I was born in it, molded by it. I was one of later space shuttles to be built and latest to keep in use. I currently live in a museum in florida.

wtf is this

Hello, This is Endeavor,

On January 28, 1986 the space shuttle Challenger blew up on her 10th flight after 21 months of service. Congress ordered my construction to replace her.

I was built in 1991 and first went to space in 1992. I have taken 173 different astronauts aboard and logged 25 round trips to space. I docked (pic related) with the International Space Station 12 times! I was a regular on that ass

My last flight was May 16, 2011 - June 1, 2011. I currently have one big piece of me sitting in a canadian musuem, the rest NASA is slowly selling off for parts.

shut your whore mouth bitch this shit is lit as fuck

Whoa whoa!! Are you LITERALLY me?

MOAR OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah

>the rest NASA is slowly selling off for parts
the fuck is their a market for space shuttle parts for

Building spacecraft?...

Hey guys! I dont know if you remember but I came and visited you each a while ago. I was with my ex-gf, but man we had a great time. I'm always surprised by just how large you guys are.

Thanks for your service guys. Hope someone can pick up for you soon. You're still the best in my book.

I'm learning a lot. Thanks OP.

why do you hear so more about the Challenger disaster than the Columbia disaster?

Challenger had a teacher on board they were really hyping up. Their everyman (woman) thing blew up, also it was the second OG shuttle to go kablewy. Many people were watching live when it blew.

Best thread in ages

The thing I really like about Planes is that we learn that WWII happened in the Cars universe. Which means there was a Cars Hitler, a Cars holocaust, a Cars Pacific War, a Cars D-Day, a Cars nuking of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, a Cars Rape of Nanking, a Cars Battle of Iwo Jima...
This leads to so many important questions, like: were the Cars Little Boy and Fat Man nukes sentient? Was it a suicide mission? Are ALL Cars nuclear weapons sentient? Did Tsar Bomba have a personality?
What kind of car was Car Hitler? A VW? A forklift?
Was there a Cars 9/11? Were the planes hijacked, or were the planes themselves radicalized?

The name's Enterprise, Starship Enterprise,

I was built in 1976 and flown 5 times but never been to space. I am not part of the space shuttle program, I was built with a different design than Columbia. Based on my 5 flights my design was not re-used. I was on the bench for a while and considered as a replacement after the Challenger disaster, but they decided they would rather build a new one than use me.

As much as I love the Space Shuttles, and Ive been to visit 3 personally, they were a fucking huge waste of money. the entire program was an exercise in compromise between all branches of government. If they would have just fucking built a better regular rocket we would have gotten so much more bang for their buck.

Soyuz is a 40 year old rocket and it is FAR more reliable and cost effective than the shutlle program ever was.

That said, still easily a headliner of human achievement. Rock on guys!

In 1985 a teacher in new hampshire applied for a Teacher In Space program. 11,000 teachers applied and Christina McAuliffe won. She was selected to train as an astronaut and launch on space ship Challenger on Jannuary 28th, 1986. She had won a trip to space.

This made her a 15 minute celebrity where she visited various tv talkshows. She was scheduled to give classes from space. Approx 30 m americans watched the flight.

Challenger been in service a little under 2 years but had completed 9 flights to space already. It was only a couple launches away from taking Columbia's spot on most visits to space. Tragically a minute after liftoff there was an explosion, all astronauts died. She was post humously awarded the congressional space medal of honor.

"If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat. Just get on."
- Christina McAuliffe on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson

>medal of honor
>for dying
lol

Comrade Buran, Reporting for Service,

My name Buran, I have been to space once. I was built in 1984 and do not need human. I went to space alone in 1988 and am first space ship to land by myself. As of today I am still the only Russian re-usable spaceship. However I cannot celebrate because I was crushed in a hanger in 2002 that also killed 8 comrades, RIP.

I just watched a video yesterday of the space shuttle main engines lighting up, man that was fucking cool.
Something like more power at that moment than the rest of the united states put together.

She was a brave soul!

if dying is brave, then the suicidal faggots on Sup Forums are the greatest fighting force the world has ever known!

hallo buran mein freind

On January 15th commander Rick Husband launched into space with 6 other members of his crew aboard Space Shuttle Columbia. He was on a 15 day mission scheduled to land February 1st, 2003, on earth. Rick had been to space back in 1999 for a 10 day mission. This would be his second time in space. Columbia had been to space 27 times and was the original Space Shuttle, flying since 1981 - 22 years prior! Rick was 23 when Columbia started going to space and 45 when he rode it to space.

The mission was successful overall, however people at NASA noticed on takeoff the shuttle may have received damage from falling pieces of foam. This has happened on previous missions, and their concerns were not raised. After 15 days in space when returning to earth damage to the heat shield caused the spaceship to burn apart.

After the accident all space ship flights in the US were grounded for 2 years. The International Space Station lost it's only American supplied and had to rely solely on Russia support (Same as today, since space shuttle was retired in 2011). This was the second and last major space shuttle disaster to occur.

for anyone new here, these things are fucking MASSIVE. like 20 stories tall
The metal of the launch structure itself catches fire from the force of a launch.

Are you contributing to the power of humanity?

>and their concerns were not raised
there were people making a fuss. they just got ignored.

Ok good people i hope this was informative. We live in the space age. If you think you were born too late to explore the world and too early to explore the stars, i dont think you realize how real it is to explore the stars - right now. We have space ships that have been to space so many times they are retired and in museums. And the only nation in the world that is doing any of this or capable of this is the United States of America. NASA always finds a way to make me a proud american. Seeing them pull of such an amazing feat of resuable space ships that lasted 20+ years - in the 80s!! - is just incredible.

that guy was an anti-social dick. If that engineer knew how to convey his ideas in any other way than autistic screeching, the shuttle may not have blown that day.
Let this be a lesson to every user, in anything done with other people, your ability to communicate with those people is important.

hey just to share, i went to a talk with a few CEO of space companies the other day. They were all convinced, like thoroughly convinced, that within 15-20 years there would be 200-500 people living in space.
NASA needs to innovate, and hard.

>only nation in the world
>laughs in multiple languages

Burning or melting?
>Insert steel beams here.

You guys should check out thorium. I promise you'll find the history interesting.

I'm doing my part user. Are you?

Im in my 4th year of engineering living off of this exact principle

Just to add to this, it doesn't matter that you do, as long as you do it well. Any forward progress is forward progress.
Humans fucking live in space.
>in space
what the fuck? that shit is real. To anyone posting the 3 times a day threads about looking for meaning, try this shit. From someone on the inside its about to blow up.

lol bump this thread
anons, try this shit out
its the future, literally