The BFG

What went wrong? Why was this so bad compared to the animated movie from fucking 1989?

There's more wonder, charm and darkness in the first 45 minutes of that version than there was in this whole 2-hour slog. The script put emphasis in all the wrong places, trying to add in meaningful character waffle and tragic backstory while completely underselling Dahl's wit and imaginative absurdity (crucial for the second half) and undermining the subtle horror. The direction was sloppy and kept failing to create important changes of atmosphere, right from the get-go. The second half was botched to fuck, climaxing in a contentless CGI action sequence that was probably more fun to animate than it was to watch. The film looked as boring as it felt, the giants' country and the BFG's cave were so cookie-cutter Hollywood fantasy. I don't understand how this got as many good reviews as it did, there are elements that work but on the whole it is a stuttering, bland mess. Fucking letdown.
Sorry, I just got back from it and needed to shit on it somewhere.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Ey1PYsLGzE
youtube.com/watch?v=niL_h6kYPbk
youtube.com/watch?v=5dHsB_Sn3_A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You basically nailed everything wrong with it, other than the little girl being atrocious.

The trailers treat the old giant fuck like a majestic, beautiful mythical creature, it feels awkward as fuck

He is meant to be one, he's both.

And the 1989 animated film is on youtube.

Albeit shit quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=1Ey1PYsLGzE

I think the film leant way too heavily on the 'he hears the whispers of the world! he is the embodiment of psychic love or some shit! he gives deep rambling monologues while staring into the middle distance! so beautiful!' aspect though.

The main problem is pacing.

They spend not nearly enough time on Sophie and the BFG getting to know eachother at the start, and then spend WAY TOO MUCH on the awkward humour in Buckingham Palace.

Spielberg is a hack, always has been.

I thought the film had a fairly good mix, maybe there should've been more of him chilling. Mark Rylance's performance and the facial capture were by far the standout best parts of the film.

The Big Fucking Flop

The main problem is no one knows what the fuck this is about.

They released it in summer and not Christmas

>he still believes in the motion capture meme
it's just glorified voice acting, those dots on their faces do nothing

That used to be the case, but the technology has come along leaps and bounds in the last few years. It was really clearly picking up all the subtleties in Rylance's acting.

Honestly the first thing I wanted to do after seeing the film was go back and watch this again.

The tone is utterly different, and yet it's so much better it's fucking ridiculous.
>that short, simple and bleak introduction, that tells you more about the misery of Sophie's life than any of the meandering round the orphanage in BFG 2016
>the holy shit moment when you realise his silhouette is there
>that GOAT music as he whisks her away into the motherfucking dimensional vortex
>those gorgeous, surreal, fantasy environment paintings
>the wordplay banter over how different types of human beans taste
>that musical number about the pleasure of flying on farts

A Big Friendly Giant.

I can't believe they cut the part where he makes her a dress.

i don't get why they officialy use BFG instead of the actual name
is it that obvious? becouse to me BFG means big fucking gun

I enjoyed it, it captured Dahl's characterization perfectly.

The big problems with it was that it was simply too long and spent too long in the wrong places.

The giants raiding the dream room should have been removed in favour of seeing the giants go off to feed (the giants weren't scary enough by far as well).

The queen sequence was funny but did it need to spend to long on the bedroom?

Did we need 10 minutes of her wondering around the orphanage? Could have acheived the same thing with a shot of the orphanage then a shot of her reading. Also they also seemed to make an effort to make her kidnapping less scary.

Knock 20 minutes off the running time and it would have been a classic.

See
They just spent time in the wrong places

And what they replaced it with, dear god...
>There was another boy, but he got eaten by the giants boo hoo, that's his red coat you're wearing

Fuck off with that crowbarred in shit, especially if you're going to half-ass it like they dd.

Because that's the title of the book, the characters abbreviate it to "BFG" in the story.

It's a shame this didn't really succeed, it was so close to being great.

PSA: If you haven't watched Rik Mayall's reading of George's Marvelous medicine, I strongly recommend it.

youtube.com/watch?v=niL_h6kYPbk

youtube.com/watch?v=5dHsB_Sn3_A

pacing yea was pretty weak. All the shit with the queen went on too long, and the movie was too kiddie overall when the characters literally are talking about children being eaten

Rik Mayall reading stories was literally my childhood.

I had two tapes of him reading Grimm Fairy Tales that I listened to every single night to get to sleep.

He's just a big fucking guy

Why did they model the giants after the drunkards at the beginning if all the fantasy stuff was going to turn out genuine?

Because muh pottery

Whatever happened to The Witches remake?

I'm guessing The Twits adaptation with John Cleese rumoured decades ago is doomed never to happen

What Dahl would Sup Forums like to see next? And no fucking Wes Anderson.

James and the Giant Peach, but actually made by a British studio and direct and not a yank who doesn't get it.

>1989
>"Tragic horror as children slain, bones found beneath dormitory windows"

>2016
>"Children disappearing"

the main problem is the name, Who would call a movie for kids Big Fucking Gun?

Do people not like Peach? I thought it was one of the better adaptations.

There is a James and the Giant Peach adaptation? I literally had no idea. It was my favourite book as a kid.

So boring

The giants weren't scary at all, bland CGI environments, part at the palace was terrible

I can't remember the story from the book but the plot in the film made no sense. Hurrr it's too dangerous for you here, I'm going to to take you home and then bring you back for some inexplicable reason

Also how would the other giants make it around the city without being seen? They lack both the intelligence and grace to hide from the humans

About 20 mins in I just wanted it to be over. Another pointless remake from Hollywood, gladd it's a financial flop

It's a stop motion live action hybrid. It's pretty good.

Still can't quite capture the energy and imagination of Dahl but then, only the animated BFG has really managed to.

Yeah, it's done by Henry Selick. It starts off live action, then switches to stop motion when he goes into the peach and meets the bugs.

That sounds kind of interesting. Looking it up I was 6 when it was released, maybe we just didn't get it in my cinema, I don't remember it.

Well it must be good because Rylance is fucking understated as fuck. Love that guy.

I'm so stoked he's getting worldwide acclaim now, he's been the best shakespearean actor of his generation for a while now, but never had any interest in Sup Forums things, now that is changing.

Yeah, Wolf Hall really sold me on him. Even went back to watch that lousy Bridge of Spies 'cause he was in it. Great stuff.

No loli nude scenes