Any USPSanons here? I'm having an issue with my mail carrier...

Any USPSanons here? I'm having an issue with my mail carrier, and I'm just wondering what is likely to happen if I go to the post office to try and get it resolved.

>move into new house last year
>getting a lot of mail for the previous residents
>my neighbors have kept in touch with them, so I give the mail to them, and they give it to the previous residents
>this goes on for quite some time
>I mention to my neighbors that the other family should do a change of address, so they don't have to get their mail through a middleman
>eventually, after months, I get tired of this process, and gather all the mail that isn't mine up
>I band it together and leave it in the mailbox with a note stating that this family doesn't live here anymore, and I'm only expecting mail in my own name
>the mail carrier goes through the stack and finds every piece of mail that says "or current resident" and circle it, and puts them back in my box
>this annoys me so I start using a rubber stamp that saying RETURN TO SENDER and hoping whoever is still sending this stuff gets the idea
>mail carrier puts a bunch back in my box again with a note written directly on it telling me to "trash it"

Like, isn't it their job to send this stuff back? Why are they making this into a fucking battle? And isn't it illegal to trash someone else's mail?

Other urls found in this thread:

purewow.com/home/what-to-do-with-mail-addressed-to-someone-else
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It might be. But what kind of mail are they getting? If it's boxes or whatever shit that's bulky you can open it and reseal it later.

Bills, bank statements, marketing letters. Stuff of that nature.

Only first class or above gets forwarded. "Bulk" or "presorted standard" mail just gets thrown away or given to current resident if the label has "or current resident" printed on it.

What about bills and bank statements though?

Basically, I'm just wondering how to get the other person's mail to stop coming to my house, as attempting to return it to the sender doesn't seem to be a viable route with a mail carrier that wants to make it a little game.

>Bills, bank statements, marketing letters. Stuff of that nature.
those are paid solicitations that were paid to be delivered to you, everyone on your block is getting that same shit. its those letters that keep the post office open, not your one mortgage payment you send through the mail a month.

this will not chance unless you get a p.o. box

As far as anyone elses mail that gets delivered to your house, even if it is directly mailed to someone else with your address, and you know its the old homeowner, put it in the trash.

Welcome to being a homeowner, expect this shit for at least a few years.

I will also add, NEVER use your name or home address for one of those givewaways for a free car, or gym membership.

That is how you get your name on a mailing list and all this shit gets sent in the first place.

You can blame your mortgage, insurance, or title company for most of the shit thats not the old homeowners mail thats coming right now

I'm so thankful my property has been in our family for like, three generations.

I get mail for me, my wife, my (dead) father or my (very dead) grandfather.

Awww big baby has a little mail problem awww. Try living in a area that 2 years ago was mostly white. Someone keeping put up HUD houses and niggers keep moving. Incidentally as soon as they started moving in crime drastically increased. On top of the my city just built 3 big houses for 3 refugee families.

I only know this shit because I bought my house a couple years ago, and it was a rental property for a couple years before this, so I've been in the same position as o.p.

I'd love to live in an area where families stay for generations but our economy is fucked up and my grandparents and parents had too many kids for handmedowns

HA, thats why most of the lower and middle class whites 20-35 are moving back into Detroit while the blacks are moving out to the suburbs. over 8000 whites between the ages of 18-35 moved into permanent residence in 2015 alone.

Or current resident means it is for your household. It is up to you to trash it, believe me I work closely with the post office. YOU DON'T WANT THEM picking and choosing what mail you don't want them to deliver to you with your address on it. The Post Office makes a lot of money with those current resident mailings. They will never throw them out for you. It is illegal for them to do so.

Nah, I'll keep lively in an extremely nice area with my petty problems. Enjoy your shit area.

Well, I can deal with the junk mail if that's the way it's gotta be. I'd just like all their importantly looking shit to stop coming here, but they don't seem to be interesting in doing a change of address.

My honest advice? Fly out of the city and start the multi-generational home owning you want to see.

If you have any modern skills, look to the mountain regions of the coal belt that are dying. I've made an actual fortune by purchasing these old (30's-60's) mountain coal town homes in Sheriff tax sales for $5K-$10K and then mortgaging it back to the town or owners / renting it to them.

You can pick up a property and decent enough house for super cheap, cheap taxes, cheap cost of living -- if you have a modern skillset that sets you apart from the retarded coal mining indigenous population.

It annoys me too. I've wondered tho, what if I were to buy a second trash can and mailbox, cut the bottom of the mailbox out and a just smaller than mailbox sized hole in the lid of the trash can only to somehow bind the two together so when you open the opening of the mailbox, any mail placed within goes straight into the trash. Finally make a sign for it that says something like "junk mail" and place the second mailbox next to your original mailbox. Anyone know if it is worth it or know if the mailman just sticks the trash into the original mailbox?

Thats their business, not yours.

If you've notified the people who stay in contact with them and they didn't make the change, just start throwing the shit away.

If the neighbors ask if any mail for the old neighbors has come in just say no. You're not obligated to hold their mail.

Nice try fbi. I know it u

I feel like what is or isn't "Junk mail" isn't really up to them.

That's the problem though, everything I've read repeatedly says that throwing away the other person's mail is illegal and that I'm supposed to send it back. I don't want these fuckers to come looking for a bill or check that was mailed to my address and making a big deal about it when it gets trashed.

Naw, any of the marketing bullshit is junk but I see your point. You don't want them throwing away a bill because the lazy fuck is lazy.

I'm 32 and run a masonry repair company. I appreciate your bode of confidence and advice but I am doing just fine.

I live in a metro and hire union workers because I believe in paying people a fair rate.

Moving out of a metro area would mean I get country bumpkins doing shit work who want to be off the books so they can continue sucking the governments teet.

I understand the concept of flipping houses as well and dont have much interest in putting 10k into a piece of shit house to try and squeeze blood from a stone in an already impoverished area.

The only point that I was making was that it would be cool to have come from an old family instead of being a second generation American with no roots here.

But YAY! to cut throat capitalism right.. RIGHT!?!

A letter carrier would know what is forwardable or ubbm

its not another persons mail if its addressed to your house.

It is if it has their name on it.

no. its not

if i was a mail man and saw someone do that, i would put all of the mail into the junk box

Federal law protects it u moron

All I know is, I pay all my bills online so I really don't know why I'm getting any mail. To me, all of its trash.

What kind of fuckwit autist are you that you dont see thowing the shit out as the only reasonable thing to do?

By what measure is it not?

One who doesn't want to get sued a few months down the road because some dumbass can't fill out a change of address.

by you throwing it directly into the fucking trash

>did this mail come to you?

no

> did mail addrss to MR JOHN DODSON come to this house

not that I am aware, I only check my mail and toss anything thats not addressed to me.

If being a being forced into being a punk bitch in your own house is okay, then sure, do whatever you gotta do.

Let that other homeowners bill not get paid a month or two, see whos at fault for not paying their bill.

>umm... um.. 4chandiori sir, Im a punk bitch and dont know how to handle getting someone elses mail. Here is a list of 14 reasons why Ill keep acting like a bitch instead of dealing with this head on.

thats not how this works retard

Why? To fuck with the person? What's the reasoning, if other than to troll the fuck because they didn't want the shitty junk mail that you can't get people to stop ... or at least not easily.

How many anons here work for the post office?

fucking none, the same amount of people who actually own a house, or receive any mail at all.

i'd stamp it return to sender and go drop it off in a blue box

this. no one will come looking for their mail at your house. just throw that shit away its not your responsibility to make sure someone else gets their mail. its the persons fault for not requesting an address change at the post office

>instead of dealing with this head on.
I don't see how ignoring a problem is "dealing with it head on" but it is against federal law to just throw it away, so there's that.

Well you know. Mailman are not the sharper tools in the shed you know, don't expect much from these non degree fuck tard.

they are not going to want to do sort mail even further while at someone's door just because that person is to lazy to go through their own mail.

>doing something
vs
>doing nothing

yea.. okay, then fuck yourself. why make a thread and argue both sides of the argument?

you either take responsibility and deal with the letters by being the old homeowners bitch.

or

you be a big boy and throw the letters in the trash realizing its not your responsibility to take care of the old owners letters.

>against the federal law

the federal law does not GIVE A FUCK what you do with those letters, literally no one but you are concerned with those letters bitch boy.

Anyone know why we can't all be given a PO box and forced to go to the post office to pick up mail? IMO if the post office isn't getting enough mail sent through them then they need to chamce the way they operate but for some reason Congress won't change the law to let them. Anyone got an idea why?

You seems like an extremely likeable person.

because a bunch of new buildings will have to be built to hold the millions of PO boxes

Your letter carrier should not be instructing you to "trash any mail". I recommend you speak directly to the regular on this route. And be polite and ask if he/she can make a special notice card to only deliver your name. This does work beacause as a letter carrier myself , I extend this courtesy to my clients when requested. Give it a try it may work and resolve this issue.

It says "or current resident" so guess what you fucking are. There's a process to get off of the 3rd class mailing list but you have to pursue it. Contact all the people or companies sending that shit and tell them to stop. Post office just delivers what it receives. They look at the address on the mail and send it to the correct address. They don't give a fuck about the name. Some who know their routes really well do and that's cool. Subs and newer people don't though. You're probably 1/500-1000 people on your route. That's just way too many fucks to give.

I'll give that a shot, user.

You're just a lazy POS who calls in sick every other day and walks backwards with your eyes closed just for OT.

>>Z

OP I'm a mail carrier just go to the post office and fill out a special delivery warning for the carrier , as far as anything with current resident you're fucked it's your just trash it

>special delivery warning
What exactly is that?

Don't know if it's a local thing or not but on my route I have an elderly customer that filled one out so I can deliver her mail to the door since that neighborhood has cluster boxes. We just call it a special notice card

go to the post office and file a complaint. Threaten to send a complaint to the post master general. They are supposed to take care of that shit themselves. I had a check coming to me once, never got it in my box. Went and complained and threatened to email the postmaster general and got it re-glued in my box the next day. Post office employees are the worst of the worst. Ordered a gun holster once when I lived in an apartment. Where they have one central big box with a little locked compartment for everybodys mail. When you get a package they put it in of the big boxes and put the key in your little box. Watched it on Amazon, Out for Delivery, Delivered, checked, no key no holster. Had to call them. They put the key to the big box in the wrong little box. I was 206 they put it in 205. They regularly did that. It was an understood thing when you got the wrong boxes mail you just set it on top of the big main box, everybody got everybodies mail. You'd get more of your mail on top of the box than in your box. Did the same thing with my first debit card. Put it in 106 rather than 206. I got all my neighbors mail. They got all mine too. Fuck the usps. They are shits.

It's not YOUR responsibility to be someone else's mail collector. It would have taken them 3 minutes to do a USPS change of address online.

Throw it all away. Every bit of it. How would they ever prove that you threw it away? It's NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

I live in an apartment and get mail for residents who haven't lived here in years. I throw it all away.

Don't ever expect a civil/government employee to do anything more than the bare minimum required of him/her, they really could care less about you or your problem.

All of us. This website is covertly run by the USPS and you and OP are the only ones not in on it.

You are stupid.

I'm reporting you to the Postmaster General. Admission is explicitly denied in section 27B-6.

Ok I'm not reading the whole thread but I'll reply to OP if youre still trying to figure this out.

>Mail addressed to other family specifically- You cannot open the mail, you are right to return it to postman. Technically you are not supposed to pass it on to the previous owners especially not through a middle man.
>Mail that says "or current residents" - this is generally junk mail to begin with and it is legally YOUR mail. It is addressed to the house, not to a specific owner. It is YOUR job read and/or dispose of that mail, not the USPS worker. It is addressed to you, by way of your current occupancy.

TLDR; stop being a petty bitch. The USPS worker is literally doing his job exactly how he is supposed to.
You should keep giving him mail back that is specifically addressed to other family. You keep mail that says 'or current resident'

I'm protected by Federal Whistleblower Statutes covered in 34C-8:12 section 7.

"So long as a source remains anonymous and provides truthful recitation of fact, no crime has occurred and attempts to prosecute will be dismissed from United States Courts of Law."

I've got mail from a credit union and a bill from a loan agency with only their name on it that was always put back in the box with a hand written note telling me to trash it.

Im a mailman but it looks like others have answered for me already. Mainly is the carrier should have a trail card for only the good last names that live in the house. Anything else should be forwarded or killed.

As a postal employee and a customer, if you've tried continuously writing return to sender and putting it back in box and it keeps coming I'd just toss it.� Forwarding orders are in effect for 12 months, months 13-18 mail is returned to sender.� After that it drops out of system.� If a mailer from a decade ago can't figure out that there is no response that's their problem and they need to try a little harder to update their database - not your problem and don't� sweat it - you've done your part and just recycle it.

ITT: OP makes a mountain out of a goddamn mole hill.

Seriously. Rich people with problems. You probably make a 100k a year you snobby fucking prick. I wish junk mail was the biggest issues I had to cry about.

THROW. IT. IN. THE. FUCKING. TRASH. AND. QUITE. BEING. A. WHINY. BITCH.

>Prison
>what are you in for?
>Murder, how about you
>I threw away an old residents mail

Holy fuck you whine-bag.

fuck off and die fraternal order of police

>step by step answer. all you had to do was use google you lazy cunt

purewow.com/home/what-to-do-with-mail-addressed-to-someone-else

>You are only allowed to complain about the single biggest issue you have
Just looking for advice on an issue I have. Never said it was the biggest one I face.

I don't even want to imagine the bigger issues you have.

>FUCK! THE STORE IS OUT OF PEANUT BUTTER!
>Hey Sup Forums, I got a problem, I went to the store...

Even if you're a right dick, I had a chuckle

>stupid issue
>looking for advice
>Sup Forums

You're not very bright, are you...

Just throw it away man, straight into the recycle bin with the other junk mail.

Don't make their problem your problem.

I've filled a dumpster with old tenants mail over the years, bills, court documents, final notices, W-2s, etc. I'm not in jail. USPS don't care.

Dude they don't give a single shit. Same shit happened to me. I bought my house 2 years ago. Still get mail from previous tenants. Do the same shit, return to sender, scribble it out. Went to the point of blacking the whole thing out. I even hand return them to the post office annex and fucking spoke to the manager. I also talked to my mail lady after she had a document that needed bitches signature and told her the whole thing. How she's delivered some letters more then 3 times already. Shit is still happening to this day. Makes for good quick kindling for a fire or document shredding