Rank the Bjork albums thread

Hi, Sup Forums. I've somehow never listened to any album from Bjork and I'm requesting your help through this thread, and thought it would be fun to hear your opinions regardless.

Everyone seems to have wildly different opinions on what her best work is. In terms of music media, pic related is the one I hear pimped the most, but I see many other albums of hers posted more or equally on Sup Forums.

So yeah, share your ranking/thoughts on her albums!

imo

Post>Homogenic>Vespertine>Biophilia>Medulla>Debut>Vulnicura>Volta

1. medulla
2. Vespertine
3. Vulnicura
4. homogenic
5. Debut
6. Selmasongs
7. Post
8. Biophilia
9. Volta

1. Homogenic
2. Vespertine
3. Vulnicura
4. Post
5. Medulla
6. Debut
7. Biophilia
8. Volta

We've been through this before

1. Vulnicura
2. Vespertine
3. Medulla
4. Homogenic
5. Biophilia
6. Volta
7. The Music From Drawing Restraint 9
8. Selmasongs
9. Post
10. Debut

Vesp
Homo
Vuln
Med
Bio
Volta

>implying selmasongs counts

>Post in its rightful place

Don't even need to see the rest, I like you.

1. Vespertine
2. Medulla
3. Post
4. Debut
5. Homogenic
6. Vulnicura

Not listened to the others

>Personally
Vulnicura
Vespertine
Debut
Biophilia
Medulla
Volta

If you're new to critiquing her discog, basically it goes like this.

(Everyone's personal favorite)>Vespertine/Post/Homogenic>Vulnicura/Debut>>>>>Biophilia/Medulla/Volta

It's not that Biophilia, Medulla, or Volta are bad pe rse, they're just a bit of an acquired taste. They take a few listens.

Holy shit I have never seen someone with such correct taste

>Vulnicura that low

I'd move Post and Medulla into the tier with Vulnicura and Debut; I've never seen a praise of Post as wide as Vespertine or Homogenic, or bad reception towards Medulla as Biophilia and Volta.

>I've never seen a praise of Post as wide as Vespertine or Homogenic
Up until a few years ago Post would've been considered her best with Homogenic, and Vespertine's taken a few years to become as beloved as it is. A lot of people following its release thought it was too twee, with the choirs and music box
>or bad reception towards Medulla as Biophilia and Volta.
People have a way lower opinion of Volta than Biophilia so I wouldn't put them together

>Holy shit I have never seen someone with such correct taste
I am le patrician

I love Bjork :^)

We all do user!

She has a wide spectrum of moods you should listen to her albums. I think she covered most of her thoughts on each album in interviews and she was especially spot on on choosing album art because her music is visual as fuck, you can easily pick just from from that

So what I would rank are basically just relistens for me. Sorted from top and left

Vulnicura = Post = Homogenic
Vespertine = Medulla
Biophilia = Debut = Volta

Bjork on Debut
"debut" was very much for me like a virgin trying to express herself, i mean a virgin musically. and that's why i named it "debut". and people who knew i had been around for many years just thought i was taking a piss or something. but for me it was very much like the songs i had kept in darkness and locked in my little diary, only to be seen by myself. the first time they were out on there own and had to figure out how to survive their own way.

Bjork on Post
whereas 'debut' was like the greatest hits of ten years, 'post' was like the last two years. for me, all the songs on the album are like saying, 'listen, this is how i'm doing,' and that's why i called the record 'post', because i always address my songs back in my head to iceland in a letter. because it was such a big jump for me to move away from all my relatives, all my friends, everything i know.

Bjork on Homogenic
the music of homogenic is very close to the music i heard as a child. it's a very icelandic record, especially as far as rhythm is concerned. but it's not a record that wasn't there yesterday; it's always been there, but just had to materialize. the sounds, the rhythms, the emotions, they've always been inside my head. i put them down on homogenic. i look at it as a document. and the title of the record actually indicates that the music comes more or less from one direction: straight from the heart, because home is where the heart is. this time i didn't want too much intervention from others.

Bjork on Vespertine
a word that helped me a lot making this record was "hibernation." being internal is a form of hibernation, and i related it to winter, the sound of crystals in wintertime. that's what i wanted this album to sound like.

Bjork on Medulla
the album is about voices. i want to get away from instruments and electronics, which was the world of my last album, 'vespertine.' i want to see what can be done with the entire emotional range of the human voice - a single voice, a chorus, trained voices, pop voices, folk voices, strange voices. not just melodies but everything else, every noise that a throat makes.

Bjork on Volta
i knew from the start i wanted the album to be bloody, physical and urgent. but then trying to work out how you do it is sometimes like solving a murder mystery thing. but that's so fun. i love solving riddles. so this one got solved with the use of either tribal live drumming or 808s, 909s, the old-school drum machine noises. or the mix of all those. the rhythms were actually some of the last things we worked on. the melodies, clavichord, the pipa and kora and all the brass came first.

Bjork on Biophilia
for me the project is a continuation of volta and whereas volta is more about anthropology, this is kind of without humans and both zooming out like the planets but also zooming in into the atoms and in that way aesthetically sympathising with sound and how sound moves and physics of sound and how notes in a room behave, how they bounce off walls and between objects and it's kind of more similar to how planets and microscopic things work.

Bjork on Vulnicura
i guess i found in my lap one year into writing it a complete heartbreak album. kinda surprised how thoroughly i had documented this in pretty much accurate emotional chronology.... like 3 songs before a break up and three after. so the anthropologist in me sneaked in and i decided to share them as such. first i was worried it would be too self indulgent but then i felt it might make it even more universal. and hopefully the songs could be a help, a crutch to others and prove how biological this process is: the wound and the healing of the wound. psychologically and physically. it has a stubborn clock attached

op you're probably dead at this point but maybe this can give some insight to her albums for you

lovely mustache

This is exactly correct except Selmasongs is right after Medulla.

Vespertine
Homogenic
Vulnicura
Medulla
Selmasongs
Biophilia
Volta

props to these guys as well

Biophilia > Homogenic > Volta = Vespertine = Vulnicura > Post = Debut

Not even memeing when I say all the ones with V are equal; surprised she hasn't released Vaginanimal yet. I'm a huge Bjork fan btw.

beautiful

Vespertine
Medulla
Homogenic
Debut
Vulnicura
Selmasongs
Volta
Gling Gló
Drawing Restraint 9
Bjork (1977)

I'm here! Those are really interesting and helpful actually! Cheers man