Dad rock is boring, safe, generic rock music bordering on folk (ew)...

dad rock is boring, safe, generic rock music bordering on folk (ew). it's the arguably the worst form of music out there.

Let's name some dad bands/artists and talk about why they suck.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1A0dqFZ1F2C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Journey, a once promising Jazz Fusion rock band turned to dadrock shit

why not talk about the music you love instead?

But wasn't rock supposed to be rebellious and dangerous?

Better than rap, that's for sure.

At least rap is for adults.

can you fuckers just call it hip hop
rap is not a genre
its like calling opera singing

Please specify what you mean. Dad rock can literally anything from true patrician level to wannabe cool pseudo-rebellious corporate crap.

name one good dad rock album

dadrock = any rock music more than 5 years old.

Dad rock is inherently bland crap. Wilco, u2, springsteen, etc.

great argument
no, dad rock is any rock music (but mostly rock music from late 60s to early 80s) deemed superior which is propagated by dads with shit taste

its pop music for people who want to look intelligent

Kanye West is dad hop.

t. underage

But i do agree with Wilco

pink floyd - animals
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king
yes - close to the edge

itt: daddy issues

Isn't rock supposed to be the anti-thesis of intelligent though?

Wilco is just bland soft rock/yacht rock revival shit. Nothing remotely indie or "krautrock" or country influenced about them.

I think rap has you covered there

This is not the epitome of dad rock. U2 i agree with but Bruce has made great music. Dad rock is like AC/DC and Def Leppard. Shit like Motley Crue whose only fanbase is people who gave up in 1989. Bands who have aged worse than fucking milk

examples? 80's Journey is pop-rock - no different from pop-rock of any other decade.

Well floyd made it quite clear than rock and roll needs no education.

AC/DC = hard rock
Def Leppard (80's) and Motley Crue = hair metal/glam metal.

So what is 'dad rock'?

U2 really is fucking shit.

See, this guy here is on my level. But clearly many of you are not. We've got fucking King Crimson being branded dad rock when most won't know it beyond the ITCOTK cover.

>rock music from late 60s to early 80s

So the biggest era of rock music is all 'dad rock'?

One could say that spoiled milk is definitely one of the hardest acquired tastes to get tho.

Very patrician.

lol

Most dads are from the 60s-80s too.

ITT: guys who will only listen to music from the 2010's their entire life and in the future will bitch that music sucks compared to *their* day.

They aren't mutually exclusive. See Only the popular rock from that era is dad rock, not all of it. Basically just the shit that would play on classic rock radio.

Shitty rock and roll that, defying all logic, is still popular because 50 year olds cant let their 20s go.

Pic related: an actually good dadrock band

2bf it sounds to you that way to you cause you are an ignorant retarded fag with no sense of context to know all music copied shit from dad rock and that influence makes you think that. The point is, back then it wasnt generic but the contrary and back then people listening to it weren't dads. Gona happen to you (inb4 simpsons forever quote)

It was back then but OP is retarded. Is like saying all historic heroes are shit cause were misoginistic/racist cause by today standards they are but things were different back then.

You must be a millennial.

Maybe you don't like what is called "Dad-Rock" now but back in the late 70s-mid 80s admitting you liked punk rock was literally taking one's life into one's own hands.

I guess one had to be there.

If it was popular, it is dad rock.
If it wasn't popular, its not.

What about unpopular albums from popular artists?

What about album cuts from popular albums?

So if you think its shitty, its not just shitty - its dad rock?

Were they good because not that popular?

Is 'The Boys Are Back In Town' good? Because man is that song popular!

Dad rock can be good then?

Dad rock is an extension to such things as:
- Dad hobbies
- Dad fashion
- Dad bod
- Dad jokes

a close synonym to "Dad" things would be "Milquetoast" and "passed their prime".

>old Music I don't like is Dad music

or "classic", "great", "enduring"

I dont thibk shitty rock really exists. Actual shitty songs died their natural deaths before i ever listened to them. Dad rock, to me, is music by bands that was popular because it followed a formula, and was popular at the time because of dumb young adults who are now dumb old adults. Like imagine 3-6 Mafia in 1988

No.

so, 'formulaic rock of yesterday'?

I can get behind that definition. I guess every subgenere of rock have formulaic artists, and successful ones too.

Lots of them helped invent the formula, and then repeated themselves alot.

>AC/DC
But Bon Scott AC/DC is actually pretty good. Back in Black onwards is Dadrock though

>Back in Black onwards is Dadrock though

Highway to Hell is not dadrock, but Back in Black is?

>Europe
>Boston
>Asia
>Kansas

so why do niggers act like children?

that is a fantastic definition. Dad rock of yesterday. I agree with that last bit absolutely too. Nothing was more disappointing than discovering a good artist, i.e. Metallica or Guns N Roses, and realizing, as you listen to their discography, that they made three good albums, and have now been doing the same shit for like 15 years.

Dad rock isn't necessarily bad, like said, some bands invented a formula, then repeated that formula ad nauseum. I fucking hate post-Scott AC/DC.

This desu. Just add on Foreigner.

Spbp

Is Beefheart dadrock?

Night Prowler, If You Want Blood(You've Got It), and Beatin' Around the Bush prevent the album from becoming full dadrock in my opinion, but the rest of the album could be considered the start of the band's decay

vocaroo.com/i/s1A0dqFZ1F2C

hahahaha

By OP's logic, Nirvana is now Dad rock, which it is, fight me losers.

Wrong. Can't think of a rock band more influenced by gram Parsons, a country rock icon, than Wilco.

Kansas is actually really good though.

I only listen to classic rock. Am I a terrible person?

hell naw
They straddle the corporate/true prog line harder than anyone I've heard.

>they straddle the corporate/true prog line harder than anyone I've heard

That means they achieved the perfect balance of both realms.

Since pic related Swans are Nu-AOR
And AOR was always the epitome of Dad Rock

REEEEEEEEEE FUCK YOU DAD
REEEE I HATE EVERYTHING DAD LIKES
REEEEEE
DAD BAD
REEEEE love me dadddy why dont you love me

this just in: popular music is simplistic

Trumptards pretend this is any different from pop music in general just cause daddy didnt like niggers

if someone says bon jovi im going to blow up a building

jon bovi

Steely Dan is patrician Dad Rock

fuck me i lold

i quite like hip hop, but it is clearly aimed at juveniles by nature of the catchy, easy to listen to rhythms, and often offensive but (mostly) un-insightful themes.

user you're delusional, and seem to be mistaking being 22, living with your parents with no income and browsing the internet every night as being an adult.

yes, don't listen to those insufferable fools.
you can enjoy your dad bleeps,dad raps, dad rock, and modern bleeps,rock,and rap

yeah, but nirvana is fucking amazing.
i fucking hate kurt cobains image and all that, but you can't deny that fucker had an amazing talent.

no, but you might want to expand your musical tastes, because you will get bored of it someday.

>its pop music for people who want to look intelligent

As opposed to (((underground))) music for people who want to look intelligent

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

this is the most retarded thread I've ever seen

Foreigner's first 4 albums are good to really good.

Indefensible afterwards tho.

Kansas, perhaps the most unfairly criticized band in rock history, was a excellent band that ended up giving prog some accessibility , especially in America.

Like most bands, they eventually went off the wheels, but Point of Know Return is a very good album with their most consistent quality.

On Leftoverture/Point of Know Return, I would say yes

It was all Dave Grohl and Bitch Vig

>searching for new 'bait' meme image

it's times like this that I hate being black