Can any carfags help me out?

Can any carfags help me out?

I have a 2007 Impala 9c1 (police package, pic related) and want to know if it's safe to launch it off the line and shift it manually up through the gears for a faster 0-60. It seems like there's a 50/50 opinion split on the topic.

For manually shifting, some say that shifting manually 1-3 then into drive will destroy your transmission in no time and reving it to redline will destroy your engine.

Others say that since all shifting is ultimately still controlled by the computer, it doesn't matter what you do with the gas pedal or shifter, the car won't let itself get damaged.

For launching, it seems like it definitely will put excess stress on the transmission, but I'm wondering how much?

Is it something that'll destroy my transmission the second time I do it, or would it only decrease the lifespan by 10% if I did it from every start?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BpuIP9g-mHs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Getting a tune will do more for you than anything.

The car isn't slow or underperforming, I just want to make it go even faster.

quick google found this. compare to what you get now and I bet the tune is better.

youtube.com/watch?v=BpuIP9g-mHs

That's the whole fucking point of a tune you retard.

yeah you're good just dont redline it

but chances are youre better letting it do its thing . Buy a manual car with some real power if youre still itching

I know shit all about cars. So yeah, retarded when it comes to car knowledge.

Is a tune-up different than a tune?

Will that make it get worse mileage on the road?

I'm not looking to drag race or anything, I just want to be able to blow people away whenever there's an asshole in traffic when we stop at a light without burning up my tires.

Another question, does anyone know if this year/make/model will prevent you from shifting it into park/reverse accidentally? The shifter is on the steering wheel, so it's probably easier than normal to fuck up.

Two completely different things. Check out the video. So cars with fuel injection and auto (manual trans also apply) have computers controlling almost everything about your engine from air/fuel mixture, shift points, boot psi (if you have a turbo). Stock tunes are so the cars run okay and meet emissions but a good tune will make the engine run with the most power possible and doesn't give a fuck about gas mileage or emissions. But that doesn't mean gas mileage will be worse.

The best option is to find someone dyno tune it, because a tune is generic and every engine is slightly different. This is when someone will do multiple dyno runs with your car tweaking the turn on a computer and flashing your ecu to a final 'best' tune and 99% of the time it can be reversed if you have any problems.

It's a great idea! Put the car in neutral, rev it to five thousand and slam it into drive. Do it all the time, it won't hurt anything. Also instead of braking just shift the car into R. It's amazing! Hope this helps.

He should also put it in first hold the brake and push on the gas until the wheels break loose then let off the break.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that and see what places around me would be able to do it.

Would a tune stop my tires from spinning off the line when I floor it? Or would I have to launch it to achieve that?

Full of shit
Most cars have a failsafe so if you kick it into reverse over 20 mph say it'll just stay in gear.
Manu-matic transmissions are gimmicky unless you actually need them in a rolling race. From the start unless you've actually got a manual car (clutch and all), the auto will shift faster because 9/10 times the manu-Matics have a delay when shifting manually. Hope this clears things up.

Are you 10 years old? Serious question...

Your not a cop. Ever wonder why they get new ones so often? They destroy them mechanically and drive them harder than your dad fucks your mom

Launch it? If your talking about or it's a troll. If they spin when you floor it then don't floor it. Ease into the pedal when taking off. Driving a vehicle hard does not imply you need to be hard on the vehicle. Treat you car like a fine lady and ease her into direction and speed changes.

You can always lookup racing instruction videos and they will explain it better than I can in text.

Also the tune would probably make your tires spin more given it would have more power.

I don't understand how you think shifting gears can damage a car
like wtf are you supposed to do drive in first gear all the time?

Usually it's just a top end rebuild needed on cop cars. So get fairly new car for 40 - 50% off and only $1,000 at most for the top end. Trannys solid as a rock and setup for mounting a shit ton inside with mostly plastic flooring and backseat for easy cleaning. How is this a bad thing?

Pretty sure you don't have enough knowledge of cars to drive your car well enough to beat anyone who actually knows how to drive if they were in YOUR SAME CAR.

If you have enough power already to break loose off the line then you either need to 1) get new tires 2) fix your suspension or 3) drive better. Maybe all three.

After that, once you get to the point where you hook up and carry cleanly from 0-60, then you can start to tune the motor, add power.

Sounds to me like you're driving a piece of shit car, badly, and you should stick to putting a spoiler on it and rims.

this thread specifically gave me cancer thank you retards

Modern automatic transmissions are electronic and 100% of the fluid pressure is controlled by solenoids instead of manual valves like older cars. In an older car you'd install a "shift kit" into the valve body to modify shift points and control how hard the transmission physically engaged into gear.

If you can hack into the transmission's computer and control these shift points, you can control when and how long the solenoids stay open between gears. Your basic auto transmission "tune" keeps the solenoids open longer for smoother shifts, but for racing purposes nobody really gives a shit...so if you can find a way to modify these shift points and pressure you can basically make it shift however you want. This will also shorten transmission life, obviously...but depending on your goal you may not be concerned at all; it's definitely not going to make it fail immediately unless the transmission is already very hurt.

There are a lot of transmission "tuners" out there which work with the stock TCU and grant you this access, but I'm more-familiar with the import world and I'm completely unsure of what's available for the domestic stuff.

Nope, but most 10 year olds probably know more about cars.

I accept any and all criticism about my car knowledge, I know shit.

Maybe a tune will lead to the same result as a launch, but safely, maybe it wont.

I sure as hell don't know.

I've heard lots of people saying that it'll put too much extra strain on your transmission/chip teeth off your gears if you shift an automatic manually.

I'm not looking to race/beat anyone, I just want it to take off faster/be an asshole to other assholes for the hell of it. I feel like there's a much less dramatic effect if you start out slow then go fast. Gotta floor it when you're still right in their face, but don't want to ruin my tires.

I've seen videos that explain you can "launch" an automatic by putting your foot all the way on the brake, reving up to 1500-1800 rpm, max, then taking your foot off the brake an flooring it. They say this builds up torque in your transmission or something like that, leading to your wheels not spinning off the line.

Always happy to contribute.

Yeah for launching unless you want to put extra stress on everything and prematurely break stuff do not do the break and reving up to build up torque.

I probably wouldn't do it if it'd affect my daily driving. I'm not into racing or anything like that, just saw some YouTube videos that suggested manual shifting and launching to make your car go faster and thought it'd be fun if it doesn't hurt the car.

So that's something that'll cause a lot damage to the car and not just add a little bit of extra wear?

To elaborate a little more- on the auto transmissions I'm familiar with, gears 1-3 are all fluid-controlled and 4th is a lockup solenoid which closes a clutch on the end of one of the shafts to make that shaft turn 1:1. If you shift into 4th gear and engage the lockup under full power, you'll basically murder the stock end clutch immediately because there is no way to upgrade the clutch to the point where it can hold a full-power engagement...it just wasn't designed for it. So staying in gears 1-3 are the only way to make it "reliable" on that application, but every automatic transmission is different.

or maybe you should drive like a responsible human and not kill anyone while trying to act cooler than you are

>responsible
>human
Who the fuck do you think I am?

The only thing it will do is make the daily-driving shift feel "harder" or more-firm. The longer the solenoid stays open, the more time you lose between shifts but the smoother the shift will feel. Just having the transmission shift more-quickly at full line pressure is a huge improvement over stock as the stock gear engagement is meant to be smooth for a comfortable driving experience.

It will add stress to your torque converter, drive shaft, differential and breaks and can fuck one or more of these when you "launch" often. Just like anything if you do it once or twice it will do nothing. You do it 5 times every weekend don't expect any of those parts to last more than 6 months to a year.

Thanks everyone for the info.

It seems like I'd have to know a lot more about the specifics of what's under the hood to find out if it'd be safe or not, so I'll probably avoid launching or manually shifting for the time being.

The car was a cheap beater with high miles anyways, so it's impressive for the price as-is.