Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums
I need help making a decision. Been thinking about joining the Navy as an IT for a while now.
I'm currently 18 working as an IT technician for a small tech company in OR. I get paid kind of okay for my age and experience (14/hr) but I feel like I wont get anywhere in the tech field unless I either join the Navy for the experience and schooling benefits or save up for college which sounds terrible.
Any advice from someone who has experience with the Navy or as an IT would be greatly appreciated.

Dude the military WILL fuck you. I'm serious. They are lying to you

Stay out of the military.

Get better certifications.
Learn more, always be learning new things to make yourself more valuable.

Step up whenever you can, be seen doing good things, take responsibility and lead whenever you can.

The Navy isn't going to do anything for you that you can't do for yourself, and you are likely already making about as much money as you would when you are in.

I wouldn't do it, but that is my personal opinion

>8 years in the US military, got out a couple years ago and it was the best decision I've made in the past 15 years.

hi there, just got out of the navy, 8 years behind me. don't join the navy. it sucks hella ass. mega ass. do yourself a favor. join the airforce. you won't wanna kill yourself everyday in the airforce.

Absolutely 100% god's truth. If you can do ANYTHING else with your life career-wise, do it

How so? It seems alright to me, mostly because of the benefits and being on a ship or anywhere but my shitty town sounds cool

Make sure you really research what you're getting yourself into. Recruiters are basically con-men in that they will try anything under the sun to get you to sign on the dotted line. Look for some scholarships and other benefits you could possibly get before joining. Living at home and work/study isn't a bad idea if you can get some kind of financial support via scholarship. Also consider a student loan. I know loans aren't pretty but plenty of people do them. Just make sure you have a job lined up after school.

If you don't really want to join the navy then it's going to be a shitty experience if you're just doing it for the training. But then again if you want to move up in life, you have to embrace some of the grinding.

OP, stay away from military. There is not better thing in life that being able to make your own choices and decision without being forced to follow the orders from people who have power of control over you.

If you don't like your town, move.

It isn't that bad. Just budget your money (keep track of how much you make, and write down what you spend. This will at least let you know how much you are spending on bullshit.) Save money, move out of your town if you don't like it.

US military isn't going to do anything positive for your life, I can promise you that.

ide hard drive

Similar thread. Just remember you will be surrounded by Redneck shit bags and ghetto yutes.

Do it.

Tell them you have it expericence. Make sure you get an mos selection in writing thay has an it and security focus.

Join.
Get secret or better clearence
Goto school on that gov dime.
Go nat guard or reserves while in school.
Get hired by a company thay will pay oit the ass for your mil experience and secret clearence.

Use va to get house, and cheap health-care, plus vet benefits, Navy Federal Credit union.
Ect ect ect.

It is what you put into it. But the end game is grand!

No you cannot promise him that, you're a dumb ass. Plenty of people join the military and then end up going to good schools and/or getting a related civilian job.

Most of those horror stories you hear about the military have to do with grunts who end up disabled and jobless when they get out because they have no transferable skills. Ask yourself this, what's the worse that could happen in your situation?

Fuck that noise. Army. Cavalry scouts for life! More brotherhood then navy, better pay, and we get to blow shit up. Don't miss out.

OP here, so it seems that the popular opinion is that the military will fuck me and I can get better experience on my own. If I may ask, what was the source of your guys' negative experience? Also, currently my only other options would be to save up a long ass time or get a loan which could end up fucking me in the long run if I'm not able to land a good job to pay it off in a timely manner. I don't want to be stuck with student debt for the rest of my life either.

fuck you and your plans, that's my advice.

I am literally a Navy IT, fucking stay away and find something that won't suck the life out of you. I can't even quit.

Lmao cavalry. Where's your shelter halves and tents?

vet here.

here are you options user.

Joining the military will give you an awesome experience meeting new friends you'll have for the rest of your life. But on the other hand, you'll be stuck doing a shitty work life, because that's just the way it is.

Staying as a civilian user. Specially since youre already working as an IT, in a couple of years you'll be making a fuckton of money. BUT you'll miss out on travelling the world and seeing new shit.

pic unrelated

it's because you're already in a career you're pursuing. THe military will just give you the GI bill which you wont need.

Navy is okay. I'm aviation though. If you can afford school, do it. If you just can't, then Navy will help you out. I think if you do get IT, it's a 6 year enlistment though, so keep that in mind.

Like user above said, if you're joining only for the benefits, you're gonna hate every minute of it. If you're smart and can push through the shit, you'll climb the ladder pretty easily. IT isn't a bad job. Our IT's at the squadron basically run the intranet system, fix issues with our computers, mostly being printer issues, and swap out our radios.

is absolutely right, most bad experience stories people tell you are because they did something with no civilian equivalent they can walk into. You really do get what you put in. If you work your ass off and be the best you can be, you will get recognized for it, early advancement from EP evals, more challenging work that can be used as experience on a resume, etc.

It's gonna suck for the first year or two, then you realise that no other job can be as fucking great.

But I'm not an IT like so you'll need to talk with some of them to find out what it'll be like.

Most of the horror stories have to do with people that I personally knew who got fucked.

22 year olds medboarded out because their fucking knees gave out with general discharges. He didn't get shit for benefits but $300 a month and a slap on the ass on the way out.

Another guy got the same for losing his fucking mind after his wife left him for his shift chief. Again, nothing (not even disability).

I fucked both my knees, my feet, and have arthritis in both hands. I'm 29, and served 8 years.
I barely got my benefits in the end, and I had to argue for them.

Almost nobody I met in the 8 years I was in got out without something wrong with them, even 4 year people, or with everything they were supposed to.

The military isn't in the business of helping anybody but themselves, and the pricks that stay in make sure to cut all the corners and fuck everyone they can get away with, and even some they can't.

Just because you've heard different doesn't change the fact that joining the military isn't a shit decision.

The navy allows you to choose a rate before signing a contract, so see if you qualify for IT and if not oh well. All IT's get top secret clearances so yea that's helpful when you get out. You can't just decide to go reserves or guard until you've fulfilled your original active contract. But yea I'm all for it the retirement, free school, VA loan etc are fucking dope.

Tents in the ruck, shelter half is pretty cool. And yes. I suck dick. And I'm damn proud of it. You infantry fags would be dead without cavalry. Who do you think runs the ground resupply missions to get you your daily rip-it? Me and my brothers. Don't rip on cavalry till you try it.

Also, to make it clear, this is from a career field that has clear civilian use on the outside.
Aircraft Maintenance, not that any of them were really able/willing to continue doing it once they got out.

Dem urbans aint no joke ask Jan the Pollack.

I was in for 4 years. The Navy goes great for some and horrific for others. I personally got a lot out of it and am very very glad I joined, but I've also seen it ruin lives. I say go for it, but be very careful where you're stationed. If you get homesick easily don't take an overseas tour, but if you're trying to see the world I say go for it; I did all 4 years in Japan and loved it.

go to one of the community colleges or wherever you're considering going and talking to the student services people. They have a lot of experience with people exactly like you. They have knowledge of all the ways you can get money for education and will plainly lay out the options. They are by far the people I would talk to.

OP again and these sound more like the experience I wanted to have with joining. I really can't afford schooling without a loan because I have bills I need to pay (car insurance, phone, etc.) and I don't make enough to where it would be easy to save enough for a proper amount of schooling. Also traveling and meeting new friends sounds dope. Although those really would be my only reasons for joining, the benefits, traveling, and meeting new people. Would those reasons alone be viable in joining or will I really hate every second of it until I get out like and say? Would also like some more input if anyone else has specific experience being a Navy IT and if it really sucks worse than being an IT outside of the military.

"Benefits" that's why. It's not real dude. I make more money than you'll ever make there when i was pushing buttons in a fucking factory, partying, girls, drugs, house. You'll get none of the above if you go this route. I know, i was in the same position as you. It. Is. A. LIE. after talking to vets they talked me out of it. Our country will abandon you and you'll waste the best years of your life

friend of mine did reserves. got sent to Iraq. died.

Yes, and it doesn't fucking matter what branch really. IT in USMC for 4 years and just got out a few months back.
4 years, got TS clearance, CCIE, Vmware out the ass, Juniper cert (Idr the name, it was the basic bitch first tier one), Net+/sec+ all for free and a fuckton of applicable experience building networks/server environments from scratch for years all while getting paid and watching girls shoot darts out of their vaginas in thailand.

First little bit sucked, but now that I'm out, I usually outclass the dumbfucks at most companies hands down.
You don't need to join OP, but it makes things a hell of a lot easier imo. (You just need to be proactive with getting your certs)

Also going fulltime for computer science bach. right now for free, while getting paid 1500 every month for rent and bills while I sit around and play vidya in my underwear because school is easy af if you just read the shit ahead of time and do your hw right after class.
GG no re

Salty guy that talked to two guys that got NJP'd and adsep'd because they got caught blowing eachother when that wasn't cool.

A lot of times you don't travel to anywhere interesting. the people in the military are nothing special beyond normal people. You can just move to another city and talk to people in civilian life.

In general if you seize opportunities in life, things will get a lot easier. When you step up to try something and fail, the only people who laugh at you are the ones who never even try. First I would try working harder at your job and asking you boss for projects or looking around for other jobs.

Luck seems to be more prevalent in those who look for opportunity.

I'm not saying the military is a bad option. Just make sure you've overturned all stones.

Talk to student services and financial aid departments at the school you want to go to.

I have 2 cousins that work in IT
1 didn't finish highschool
1 started uni but didn't finish his degree

both are doing pretty well in different fields
1 is a IT security kind of guy
1 is a network admin kind of guy

you don't need uni. you don't need the army
you need skills. stay in your current job as long as you keep learning stuff, then find the next step up
repeat

i suggest looking at both options closely and choosing what you like better, being with the navy will get you to do lots of things and might not be doing a lot of what you really want but going to collage or university you can choose what you want to learn soooo your choice man