Is drop tuning on a floating bridge impossible? I've read many forums and quite a few people seem to be able to do it...

Is drop tuning on a floating bridge impossible? I've read many forums and quite a few people seem to be able to do it, how hard is it? I've never tried it before

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YN7qF6JLoIc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You would have to completely set the guitar up for that tuning. It's nowhere near worth it to be honest, it's a pain in the fucking ass

this. also, I have that exact guitar. changing the tunings can be done but good luck even finding someone who can if you cant yourself.

I feel like I'll have all the time in the world soon if I'm lucky so I can learn how I'm a somewhat patient person just glad to know it's not impossible thanks anons

Novice guitarist here.
What is the point of a floating bridge? And what prevents you from just tuning the lowest string down a step?

What so you think of this guitar? I just bought mine about two months ago and I'm pleased with it, it's stayed in tune this whole time since I've bought it and even when I've messed around with the whammy just waiting to see how long it stays in tune for then I'll try messing with the tunings if it comes out of tune

If you really want to learn, then watch youtube videos on how to set up a floating bridge. Pretty much, you have to turn the screws on the underside of the guitar body so that there is equal tension on the bridge. Good luck to you is all I can say

the point is so that the whammy bar can go up and down instead of just down - an it mkes it more responsive/

lowering the E to a D makes the string tension less, and so the bridge would have to be adjusted to compensate or the fucker will not float right

the point is better use of the tremelo bar, or whammy bar as some call it.
tuning is more sensitive for these bridges because the string tension is what keeps it in position. changing one string will fuck up the whole balance and cause all the strings to go out of tune.

A floating bridge allows you to both raise and lower the pitch of a note using the whammy bar. Listen to people like Steve Vai and Joe Satriani to hear what they do. If it's a floyd rose, or any other locking tremelo system, then the guitar stays in perfect tuning no matter how much you abuse the bar.

Dropping the lower string down will completely throw off the tremelo and it's incredibly hard to get back without adjusting it

I fucking love it. mine has a seymour duncan on the bridge pickups so it really screams. staying in tune is never a problem either. in fact I have other guitars with floating bridges, and they all stay in tune really damn well.

Floating bridge has a whammy bar fixed bridge doesn't, and I've heard stuff about other strings going out of tune if you try to tune one string down but I'm hoping that's not the case with mine, apparently you have to adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar to fix this and that's where I'll have trouble I really like this guitar but I might buy another fixed bridge guitar like pic related just cause I'd like a collection

you will need to use heavier strings - they provide more string tension to offset the floppiness from the lower tuning

Thanks, this really made it easy for me to understand.
Also, checked those dubs

you don't need them

Chunka chunka

dropped tuning lowers the tension on the springs. you either need to tighten the springs or add more springs. using heavier strings can work but your nut might not be set up to handle thicker strings properly, plus you'll probably need to tighten the springs anyway.

you can't just tune down with floating bridges, it fucks everything all up.

floating bridges are such a pain in the ass. i refuse to use them.

All you have to do is adjust the springs in the back. Its not rocket science

>Drop tuning
>muh one finger chords
>muh metalcore riffs

Just play standard, you faggot.

I remember wanting to throw my 1200 dollar Jackson through a window because the fucking Floyd would go out of tune if you looked at it cross eyed. Had to find a German version that had a huge brass block and thicker hardware all the way around with roller saddles. You couldn't knock that one outta tune with an axe, fucking thing was solid as a rock.

Winds of plague has some really good standard songs but unfortunately the sound I want for my band is gonna force me to downtune

I let a former band mate borow one of my floating bridge guitars. I warned him not to fuck with the tuning, it has stayed in tune for years, even though the strings were old. he tried to downtune all of the strings half a step and fucked it up good. then he tried to blame the strings, the dick.

I have a jackson rhoads with a Floyd rose tuned to c#. I had to completely set up everything from the bridge,action,truss rod then initiation. But to avoid this you can put a wood block in the bridge to disable it and tune how you would a normal guitar if it is only a temp set up. Some glue the wood blocks in so they can divebomb only but i don't see the point just buy a guitar without a floater.

just use a heavier gauge and intonate, nigger.

Guitarist with a floating jackson floyd rose here. Just do it yourself faggot it's not hard. I have a set of I think 9 or 10s down to drop B. The guitar is going to be stuck in whatever tuning you put it in regardless of whether it's dropped or standard because of string tension at different tunings. Video related youtube.com/watch?v=YN7qF6JLoIc

I second this if you want to play in a higher tuning capo the fucking thing after you tune down problem solved

it isnt the tuning part alone that is dificult so much as keeping the bridge in position properly while tuning. maybe it is less of an issue on jacksons though because of the shorter neck, i'm guessing.

A hard tail

Wood block under the bridge or inside the back between the springs system and the inner body. I used a pile of change actually just make sure the shit is level put string in tune, pull out the block tune via spring tightening screws in the back panel then do the rest of the normal set up shit

Still a 25.5inch scale, I believe. Same thing I said already, it's going to be a pain to set up with whatever tuning you're doing. As long as you follow the video instructions you should be fine. There's a reason a floyd set up is twice the price of a regular set up

String through, stop tail, tune o matic ect.