How in God's name did Lena Dunham get into the Criterimeme Collection?

How in God's name did Lena Dunham get into the Criterimeme Collection?

They don't want her to call them sexist because that would be bad press and they'd make less money

Being part of the Criterion Collection hasn't been an indicator of quality for a while now. If they can rescan something and sell it for $30, they'll do it.

>Criterimeme

You just answered your own question.

>implying
They aren't worth a damn, if they were they wouldn't give a shit if that were to happen.

Bingo.

this. there's a bunch of trash that criterion's released

i enjoyed that movie. not 10/10 but a solid film, especially for her first go. and its charming that she filled the cast with her friends and family. forget the stigma that goes along with lena dunham and just enjoy the film.

She fits the criterimeme aesthetic like Wes Anderson

She's a chosen one

list this bunch of trash please

and a bunch means at least 40-50 titles, not a handful

>De Palma flicks
>Michael Bay flicks
>The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
>The Brood
>Scanners
>Truffaut x10
>Fellini x10
>Bergman x10
the list goes on...

Supposedly the production company that made this has some sort of deal with Criterion. Maybe someone else knows the details.

Because it's a masterpiece, have you not thought of that?

>Cronenberg
>Bergman
>Truffaut
>Fellini
>De Palma
>trash

you are a retard

I can see you having faults with some of these filmmakers but to suggest that Criterion is releasing trash and then naming a slew of directors who are widely revered makes you look like a moron. Even if you have issues with those directors it is idiotic to call them trash, especially people like Bergman, Cronenberg, and De Palma.

>she is "special"
and
>meme collection

The Brood, at least, is trash. And if you think De Palma isn't trash, I don't know what to say to you. There's nothing wrong with *liking* trash, but be honest about what it is.

The Brood is one of Cronenberg's best movies and one of the best American horror movies around. If you reject all De Palma then you know almost nothing about film.

Hulu subscription dropped. I refuse to support anything even affiliated with a company that would promote a talentless incestuous goblin Lena fucking Dunham.

t. trash connoisseur

>average rating of 6.9/10, based on 95 reviews

Truly a pinnacle of filmmaking worthy of Criterion.

Fucking shitheels.

I've seen it. It's shit. Literally indistinguishable from the thousands of other shitty film major theses made every year.

It's not like she made the first mumblecore film. It's not THAT different or unique.

And I hated it.

>not buying your kinos from the kino distributor, kino lorber

>I don't like DePalma

t. someone who has never seen Femme Fatale.

don't bother, he's quite obviously some sort of pleb

Back in the DVD days they were known for substandard transfers, fa.m.

>fat as fuck
>flick is called Tiny Furniture

really make u think

Wealthy parents with connections to the entertainment industry

True, I haven't.

Apocalypse now is in the criterion collection. Look it up it's true.

The obvious answer is that Criterion released her first feature to coincide with the debut of her show Girls on HBO. An attempt to cash in on a potential new talent, someone who everyone was saying at the time was tapping into the cultural zeitgeist.

Joke's on them, this probably hasn't sold a single copy since 2011.

Let me guess, you've seen Snake Eyes and Scarface and think that you know something about De Palma.

I've probably seen most of his films, at least from the 70s-90s. I was huge into him when I was 16.

>DVD
have you put on your pampers already, grandpa?

I don't have any kids, let alone grandkids.

It converted me. It will convert you. Undeniable 10/10 kino.

I don't see how anyone could view his movies as trash unless they haven't seen them for a long time or they don't understand his movies.

Anyone who rejects movies like Sisters, Carrie, Dressed to Kill, Phantom of the Paradise, The Fury, Body Double, Blow Out, Carlito's Way, Femme Fatale, and Passion, is lacking something when it comes to appreciating movies.

Unless of course you also see directors like Hitchcock, Scorsese, Ferrara, etc as purveyors of trash then you should kindly rescind your silly disparaging remarks about De Palma

You're thinking of Armageddon you fucking idiot.

The Rock is, too.

that is a pretty retarded cover, did they just zoom in on her face in ms paint

>uses a gif from a children's movie to mock a masterpiece

you seem like someone who knows a lot about film

I wouldn't be to hasty to judge my filmic expertise based on my adroit choice of .gifs, mein freund.

i'm not going to go through their catalogue to do that, you can see from their coming soon and new release titles they've got valley of the dolls, beyond the valley of the dolls, clouds of sils maria. they also did a release for that piece of shit movie "walker"

>inb4 you tell me they're good and i'm just a pleb

I was judging based on your dismissal of Femme Fatale which you likely haven't even seen. Even if you had seen it though, dismissing it would still make you a pleb.

Not seen either of the other movies but have you even seen Clouds of Sils Maria? It was easily one of the best movies of last year. Do you even know the name Assayas?

Why are there so many plebs on this board?

oh, please. assayas is the most contrived "french intellectual" out, the same with the dardenne brothers

De Palma makes shit film school student joints

how are the Dardenne bros intellectual at all?

and no, Clouds of Sils Maria is great. It's too bad demonlover isn't a part of the collection as well because that movie is a masterpiece

>Do you even know the name Assayas?
This is everything wrong with Criterionfaggots. They pick a very popular director and act like they know more about cinema because they watched Criterion release.

>doesn't like Michael Bay Cinemà

Fellini most definitely is shit. Can't think of a worse 'look mommy im aaaarthuuseeeee naoooo' director

>how are the Dardenne bros intellectual at all?

Because like Assayas the French cinema community like to masturbate over how smart they are because they watch their flicks.

This.

I like Hitchcock, but I haven't seen a De Palma flick since The Black Dhalia, which was more of the same soulless De Palma overblown schtick. I am somewhat inclined to check out Wise Guys, though since it's a comedy.

But that's not what happened though. That plebeian up there was ripping into movies that he clearly hadn't seen because he assumed they looked like shit (in Clouds' case it is likely because Moretz and Stewart are in it), I assured him that was not the case and told him that he should probably at least be familiar with the extremely well-regarded directors that he is so cavalierly assuming are shit based on not even knowing who they are.

hollywood is liberal and she has those jewish connections

How do you know that I haven't seen it? You just assumed that because I said Criterion has put out trash releases. You straight up assumed I hadn't seen it and didn't even know who Assayas was.

You just make it so easy for me to think that you're stupid. First you claim that the Dardenne Bros themselves are pretending to be intellectuals and then you change your mind and claim that the French community are the ones who are the pseudo-intellectuals.

Have you actually seen a Dardenne movie? They are among the least overtly intellectual filmmakers around. And they've made some pretty great movies.

La Dolce Vita is a masterpiece

Alright, let's solve the mystery. Have you seen it or were you just assuming it was trashed based on the actors/cover? And if you say yes then I will expect you to be able to answer some questions about it so tread carefully.

No it isn't. It's a strict piece of unimaginative shit with nice compositions.

at least jerk it to Antonioni, he was very imaginative director.

why do you keep saying jerk it? you sound like an infant.

Antonioni was obviously a better director than Fellini but the two have nothing to do with one another and that has no bearing on whether La Dolce Vita is a good movie.

Are you sure you know how to talk about anything?

>the two have nothing to do with one another
>Location of Italy (dark green). – in Europe – in the European Union (light green) – [Legend]. Capital and largest city, Rome · 41°54′N 12°29′E / 41.900°N ...

>why do you keep saying jerk it?
I think you are losing your pleb mind. My 'jerk' was the first 'jerk' of the thread.

>A close-up shot of her own face on the poster/cover

Just another example of her narcissism

oh right, earlier you said "masturbate." My mistake, on second thought, you're actually a genius. Your brilliance is further confirmed by the fact that you have compared two directors based on their birthplace. I hope you're getting paid for this bro, this intellect shouldn't be for free.

>oh right, earlier you said "masturbate.
No, that's you seeing things in your alphabet soup. I didn't write that post. You know there is IP check.

>You can't rank country's directors!11
aww babby scared of ranking, hit me up with some anti-intellectual bullshit about subjectivity and how you cant rank em

you sound like a very sad little person

The Criterion Collection is not and has never been an indicator of quality. It's just another home video company.

Because I tell you to rank country's directors?

That's your retort? 'Ur sad person'?

Kill urself

She had a Cinematographer that directed her film for her and she took all the credit. Also, her family's rich as hell and well connected. That's who she has her whole career despite complete mediocrity.

have another fun Saturday night on the chan with cheetos and pizza!

the (((criterion))) collection

I love when people complain 'why isn't x in the Criterion Collection?' Nicely encapsulates this whole phenomenon of it being perceived as some sort of imprimatur of quality.

It is 6AM here and I'm going to gym in 45 minutes. The sun shines, no clouds in the sky.

Think I'll later watch To's Three if there are english subtitles available.

Hope you have fun day too!

In all fairness, Assayas' style has become completely ossified. Clouds of Sils Maria had fantastic performances from Binoche and Kristen Stewart, but Assayas' screenwriting has become so self-important and contrived that it takes away from what you're seeing on screen. The turning point in his career was Summer Hours, when his films became solely about upper-class socialites dealing with upper-class problems presented in a fashion condescending to the non-festival-going-elite viewer.

demonlover is a masterpiece, though.

That has to be the worst fucking cover I've ever seen for a film, who the hell would buy it after seeing that?

Chasing Amy is an incredible film because there's going to be a certain point in most men's lives when they look back and say "oh fuck, that used to be me".

The only Kevin Smith I've ever seen is Tusk, which I think everyone can agree is a steaming pile of horseshit.

Sell me his earlier flicks.

But you've only talked about the plot and themes. You could get the same thing out of a book. As a film, it is shit.

>If they can rescan something and sell it for $30
But why would anyone pay for that? Who would pay for that?

You have a lot to learn, my friend.

he's awful

>Sell me his earlier flicks
Watch them if you want to, don't if you don't, they range from "meh" to "pretty good", but I'd never go out of my way to view them if they don't catch your eye.

>You could get the same thing out of a book
But you can also get the same thing out of a movie.

Clerks was almost rated NC-17 because of all the cursing and graphic sex talk. Also there's an act of necrophilia but they don't show it.

But that doesn't make it good as a movie.

(((Dunham)))

lol, literally my favourite new meme you guys

The "You never go ass to mouth, but sometimes in the heat of the moment it's forgivable" line is from that movie, right?

Because it's a decent film that wishes it was Frances Ha and doesn't come close.

and that shot of her sisters soft soles.

Nah, that one was in Clerks 2.

Because Lena Dunham's fans will pay 30 Dollas for a BlurAy of anything the bitch does.

>sister

Her parents are super-well connected New York socialites.

You have to understand when this film was shot, six, steven years ago. She was actually somewhat cute and her soles her to die for.

Criterion has almost no Chinese movies. Why is this allowed?

Jesus and the manger babies does criterion no longer have standards

Lena completely fucked her sister up and should have been locked away. Writing the shit she did to her in her memoir for all to see was probably even more damaging, too. What a sad fucking sequence of events.

any screencaps?

here's some emma feet while I wait.

>captcha: select all images with signs
>every image is a sign

Well they have HK films. Fallen Angles, Chungking Express. And early China, makes up half my collection.

What did the chinks make that was good? I know nothing of chinese cinema

Wtf I hate criterion now

Didn't they just release a wuxia movie? Probably has to do with obtaining rights from the Chinks.

Jha Zhangke and Tsai Ming Liang are two great contemporary Chinese directors.

Though Tsai Ming Liang is based in Taiwan, and I think he might be of Malaysian descent, I don't remember...