Make it real time.
youtube.com/watch?v=uj5ldVgyEWU

MULTIQUEEN

Have an american play

More Americans.

Ban the ruy lopez

sexy cheerleaders

Fischer Chess

each piece has a hole drilled in the bottom. the players put different drugs in the hole. when your opponent wins the piece, he has to eat those drugs.

play matches in an esports style arena, with lazer lights and dubstep and all kinds of lame shit

Why do Americans have so much trouble understanding draws?

>car jacking

Tell me, Frenchman, is Maxime Vachier-Lagrave a better name?

two words:
Chess Boxing

alternatively I suggest Chess Crabcock

this is actually an amazing idea

if each opponent has a set amount of drugs which they can distribute how they want then just imagine the bluffs and double bluffs that could be played. maybe some players would be like "fuck it" and play as they normally would whilst some players would be trying to avoid the drugs at all costs

and that doesn't even start on the drug effects

Because what's the point in a competition if one side doesn't get to jump around yelling "YEEEEE HAAAAAAW!" and firing their guns in celebration/into a school at the end?

Players can promote pawns for guns

God no

That must have been difficult with a name like that at school, that may be why he ended up playing chess

Multihorse!

sponsorship by skittles, a half-time show with yesterday's most popular artists and some hilarious commercials that will surely be the watercooler talk for weeks to come

>best chess players in the world
>regularly get btfo by standard computers

not a sport

In few years attacking chess will make a comeback unlike this boring solid play shit, watch out for this kid.

youtube.com/watch?v=-Nbsr5E9HKk

> More ad breaks
> having only 11 minutes of action
> taking a piece gets you 5 points to make sure games are "high scoring"
> national anthems before games
> half time ad break with katy Perry
> each piece displaying a corporate sponsor

THIS

Apart from the first two games this match was actually quite interesting. If you don't like classical chess it's okay but the World Championship should never be decided in faster time controls.

more dimensions

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN FUCKING CARUANA

he got buttfucked in tiebreak by stupid FIDE rules

I partially agree. A match between Carlsen and Caruana would have been the dream, but Karjakin deserves to be where he is.

There are 3 Americans in the global top 10 atm. Caruana was literally one game away from being the challenger but messed up against Karjakin.

DESU it should have been Caruana. He's established himself way more as the #2 behind carlsen the last years. Karjakin is just one of the top 10 guys who happened to win a tournament at the right time.

Make 2 U1600 do the first 5 moves, then let the GMs play

>There are 3 Americans in the global top 10 atm
"Americans".

land of (legal) immigrants

I don't see how that needs to be a problem in a country that elected a Kenyan as president.

On a more serious note, the following options:

>award 1.5 points for a win, or 1.25 points for a win with white and 1.5 for a win with black. Soccer used to have a 2/1/0 split until they changed it and it's improved the game.
>reserve part or all of the price fund for per-game results and award it 75/25 for a win, 50/50 for a draw
>hot chicks start with Knight odds
>at least 2 games of fischer random per match
>take time off your opponent's clock on a capture or check

I think I came up with some pretty neat special abilities that would spice up the game significantly.

>Fusion Spell: Mega Knight - A player may choose to move their knight to the square of the other knight in order to fuse them into a single, more powerful knight. This knight will be able to move 4 squares horizontally and 2 vertically or vice versa.

>Special Summon: Demonic Sacrifice - Once per game, a player may choose to use their turn to sacrifice 5 pawns for an extra rook. Said rook must be placed on a square of choice on the first rank.

>Trickery: Camouflage - Once per game, a player may choose to use their turn to remove the king and a pawn of their choice from the game, then place 2 kings back on the same squares. Only one king will be real.The fake King must be identifiable in case it gets checkmated (for example by a colored dot on the bottom-side of the of the chess piece). Both kings will work just like regular kings but the game won't end if the fake king gets checkmated.

Good ideas.

>King of the Castle: when an opponent attempts to castle, a player may sacrifice three pawns to immediately kill the opponents rook involved in the exchange.

Place miniature mines in the chess board

people said this about Carlsen

What version of Fritz should I get? Is there any reason to buy Fritz 17 for $70?

i dont see the problem, clearly anand won on goal difference

I'm 100% sure that we can build a ball-kicking, ball sweeping machine that no one can tackle to dominate soccer. Does that mean soccer is a meme sport?
Plus a machine could become the best goalkeeper in the world simply by being larger than the goal.

pirate it
and why Fritz?

Isn't it the best program for learning chess? Autist Germans make it so it can't be bad.

Good suggestions. Also pieces should level up when they defeat another piece, giving them more reach or durability. This discourages trading pieces off and encourages attacking play.

Kek

it's probably good but you could just do everything in your browser

Ban d4.

15 min commercial break after every move.

Allow performance enhancers

this guy gets it.

e4babby detected

I would get komodo 10 which will get you a strong engine as well as chessbase which is vastly superior to the free GUIs.

Also is ICC worth $50 over FICS or Lichess?

>Catholic
>Smart

>Adderall ring scandal rocks 2020 chess world championship

>Carlsen tests positive for ginko biloba

Industrial quantities of cocaine.

Overtime... give them 1/2 the amount of pieces until one of them wins

you won't learn chess from a computer. Watch tutorials and play online vs humans.

>best weight-lifters in the world
>regularly get btfo by standard fork-lift trucks
not a valid argument
Many major tournaments already employ the 3/1/0 soccer scoring system, actually makes surprisingly little difference to the outcome - awarding more for a win with black is an idea although some tie-breaking systems effectively already do this.
variation on alcoholic chess which has been around for centuries; Lasker's strategy was to sacrifice his queen early forcing his opponent to drink a quart of congac, then beat the guy into a stupor. I'd play it.

>He doesn't shoot up schools in celebration

Yuropoors will never know that feel...

Chess is fine, Carlsen is just a boring faggot.

Lose a piece, take a shot of Jager

solved game

is it worth getting into chess? i play a lot of poker and i love strategy games but ive heard chess is essentially solved
is that true?

The best computers will beat the best grandmasters almost every time, but it's certainly not "solved"

underrated

Why is the rest of the world so dumb?

Good list, but you forgot a couple
>rainbow elemental universal ultimate spirit bomb barrage - A player may move his pawn 3 spaces forward on that pawn's first move instead of just 1 or 2
>multiversal diamond fire blast - A player may move their pawn back one square, once per game

Fuck off magnus

Not the same thing. There are a finite number of moves in chess. It's a big number, buts its still finite. There are more or less infinite positions/angles/speeds in contact sports. Just think of the positioning every single basketball possession between all 5 players, every dribble every shot. So there's definitely a difference between beating something and solving something

Positions, angles, speed, and other contingencies are also finite in basketball, albeit exponentially more numerous than in chess.
However, in chess each move is similarly exponentially more significant than in basketball.

>So there's definitely a difference between beating something and solving something
Solving a game means that you are able to find a path to force a win or a draw. It's extremely easy to think of machines that can force at least a draw in basketball.

>Chess Boxing
kek

Change it to Bobby Fischer rules

>inb4 car-jacking looses because he didn't trade queens

Is Gustafsson elite?

if there's a draw you flip a coin and whoever wins that get to add a queen to the board
europoor soccer fans love coin flip decisions

will there be a draw today?

How do I get good at chess?

more explosions

the same way you get good at any skill. practice and study

play online against real humans. en.lichess.org/

Also watch a few videos on youtube

this

who wants to play against me? iam a beginner btw
de.lichess.org/nmyHTLfQ

Alternating pieces every game is a mistake. Coin flips or random drawing decide who gets the white pieces.

This will force the black pieces to attack and not be drawfags

If you draw as white you get punched in the face, even though you still get the half point.

Blitz chess in general is much more exciting and much less drawish. Rapid chess (for example 30 minutes per side) can also be quite exciting and not that many draws. Sudden death chess (a.k.a. armageddon chess) is probably the single most exciting format. It's blitz without increment (at least for the first 60 moves or so), where white gets an extra minute, but has to win; a draw means black wins.

Here's a good example from the 90's, with some very hype commentators: youtube.com/watch?v=RtSPhginkNQ

The problem with blitz is that it doesn't produce the best quality games. You'll never get an immortal game which will be studied for decades or even centuries when you play blitz. Classical chess is simply the best quality in terms of gameplay, but it terms of trying to turn chess into a spectator sport, it's simply awful.

destroy all computers

Legalize the forward pass.

another fucking draw

The current "problems" with chess predate the computer era. Just look at the 1984 World Championship match between defending champion Karpov and challenger Kasparov.

The format back then was that the first player to get 6 wins (I presume after an even number of games) won the championship. It started out with Karpov seemingly stomping Kasparov, but then in 36 fucking consecutives games they only managed to get two (2) games which didn't end in a draw. They actually annuled the match after game 48 because they determined it was bad for the players' health to be undergoing this sort of stress for so long (it had been going on for MONTHS).

crossposting from the other chess thread

The WC match is a bit different because everyone is incredibly careful and it's a lot about meta game regarding the openings such. In a normal super-GM tournament there are "plenty" of wins.

E.g. in the Sinquefield Cup this year there were 13 wins out of 45 matches.

I just realized I posted the wrong link (though the one I posted still features white having to play for a win, because a draw would be a "win" for black).

Here's an actual armageddon game:
youtu.be/B3_DvCdIsqI?t=74

And another good example:
youtube.com/watch?v=1wfn67b8PJ4

Very true, but there's still a bigger issue: a world championship match only features 2 players, unlike a tournament (such as the Sinquefield Cup) which features a plethora of players. When you only have 2 players, you can have very exciting games if their styles are more entertaining to watch, for example Botvinnik-Tal 1960 was definitely more entertaining for this reason (Botvinnik was known for playing very double-edged positions and winning frequently as black, and Tal was known for unrelenting aggression). Obviously there's nothing wrong with Magnus' slow-but-overwhelming playstyle, nor is there anything wrong with Karjakin's turtle playstyle. But unfortunately, they make for less exciting games, and more draws.

kek based Ruskijs

>When you only have 2 players, you can have very exciting games if their styles are more entertaining to watch
obviously meant to add "but you can also have very boring games if they have boring playstyles".

There has to be rules to punish turtling.

Make the robots sexy.

T b h I do think Carlsen is playing below his usual level. He's usually incredibly good (the best in the world in face) in pushing tiny edges in technical positions. I think if he was on his A+ game he'd have won game 3 and 4.

Add a play clock, 40 seconds per turn to make your move or you forfeit the match