What genres are the pretentious modern art of music?

What genres are the pretentious modern art of music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AguPH0XBxdw&t=291s
clyp.it/m4qh1sd0
youtube.com/watch?v=LLb-jJF0nlg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Field recordings.

musique concrete

Serialism

harsh noise, but overall there is none,.because music is most pleb kind of art. It is accessible to almost everyone.

There is no analogue
All music is inherently lowbrow

Djent

spoken word poetry

"Ignorant" "Hood" "Rap"

Harsh noise.

how has no one mentioned onkyokei

youtube.com/watch?v=AguPH0XBxdw&t=291s

This has to be it, it's literally a bunch of ear piercing noises that nobody except a raging hipster can pretend to like

Whatever Death Grips is.

If you think any art is pretentious, you should learn more about it.

You can say the same thing of any other medium.

pretty much this.

Oldfag here, I have been at this art grind for decades.

You two are so full of shit if you actually think this.

t. pretentious hipster

modern =/= contemporary, you pleb

this

The funny thing here is that musique concrete is easily the least pretentious form of electronic art music.

o rly? you think someone who knows nothing about the context or history of the art they're criticizing is in a good position to judge it?

You're so clearly full of shit, son.

But you're young and precocious, so it's to be expected.

I disagree with this, art can be pretentious. I think that most art called pretentious is not, but a work of art can definitely assume more importance than it actually has. This isn't even always a bad thing, but it seems willfully ignorant to assume it doesn't happen

Not him, but you're a seriously bad poster. Your RPing is embarrassingly bad.

Harsh Noise and Field Recordings.

Why do I love "pretentious" things?
Is it because I'm a virgin?
Seriously if something feels experimantal and above common entertainment I will worship it.

The best thing you will ever learn about art is to not take it too seriously.

Some are better than others. Generally, top 40 is more competent than any "art" music. And yes, most of the time it is pure shit and there's nothing to actually "get" behind it, but you can still enjoy it. There's no deeper meaning behind it half the time, it's just literally shit. But again, you can still "like it".

>Seriously if something feels experimantal and above common entertainment I will worship it.
Not the same as pretentious.

Insecurity.

You're probably below average in terms of looks, social status, so forth. So you readjust and create your own standards to measure off, making you feel on top. Just look at 95% of the RYM/lastfm community.

Merzbow is one of the most respected noise artists actually you fucking retard. If it's so easy then why don't you try to do it

Because it's something different from the norm and different things are always fun.

art can absolutely be pretentious dude

best example off the top of my head was that lady who commissioned an artpiece to memorialize another artist's suicide and the person she commissioned painted a picture of the person jumping off a building

If you say so, slick.

But there is most assuredly pretentious art in the world and you are lost to your own pretension in kind if you can't even gauge it. The very notion is absurd.

You're really trying hard to not make anything resembling an actual point or post anything of substance, aren't you?

I'm probably older than you are anyway.

>Is it because I'm a virgin?
I really hate people who get obsessed with their virgin card
t. virgin

this
all u need to do to figure this out is read up on its history and methods

I didn't say that art can't be pretentious, but typically it's labeled as such by people who don't know anything about it, and haven't even made an effort to understand it.

>You're really trying hard to not make anything resembling an actual point or post anything of substance, aren't you?

Are you serious?

>If you think any art is pretentious, you should learn more about it.
>>any art
user is tacitly stating that at no point in time has any young person the world over made any art that could be considered pretentious.

How you are even think this nonsense needs serious addressing is beyond me.

>How you are even

Whoops. You get the gist.

Actually it isn't hard to do. Look how quickly he craps stuff out. Each album is recorded over a few days at most.

>How you are even think

it's 100% a matter of interpretation, and "well it's just the artist being a shit" is not an interpretation anyone would find interesting, so why even go there

cat
to be honest

How are you getting from this that art can't possibly ever be pretentious?

You are reading this in the densest possible way, and then acting like your unwarranted smug condescension makes your point for you.

Some harsh noise isn't torturous to listen to and it can really convey an atmosphere, almost a memory even.
Please no bully.

yeah you were just interpreting me wrong when you yelled at me for shitting on you, I was just saying hello.

>If it's so easy then why don't you try to do it

sure mate, it took me less than 5min with Ableton Live to do a track in his style:

clyp.it/m4qh1sd0

kys

man, of course there's vapid and pretensious shit out there.

but for the purposes of shit posting on lol Sup Forums, theres a 50/50 chance that what op thinks is pretentious is good, thus its a fair anonymous internet argument to default to defending the possibility of good art and not preemptively undermine everything with pointless cynicism.

what is the concept behind this?

what a gay ass post

no its not.

>any art.
There's a whole lot of implication to that.
If that's true I agree with you, but you really set yourself up for misunderstandings and arguments, and you should seriously be able to see where is coming from, and this is just insensitive.

Criticism doesn't have to be interesting to explain why something else isn't. If the criticism isn't negative it can help to understand the work itself.

>How are you getting from this that art can't possibly ever be pretentious?

..what?

That is precisely what user was implying with this line:
>>If you think any art is pretentious, you should learn more about it.

>any art

>man, of course there's vapid and pretensious shit out there.

That is all I'm saying. That there clearly is.

Rock

The stuff that's most often called pretentious is Duchamp, Cage, Yoko Ono, etc. They're not really pretentious if you actually understand what they were doing. It's not like they're trying to trick people into thinking they're clever.

Shitty student stuff might well be pretentious as fuck, but it's not so much a target for criticism.

Post Rock

exactly my point.

You have a really good point actually, and that makes me really sad.

>tfw some people unironically think this
All I feel is pity.

defend radical equality and freedom from the disaster of the tools of criticism in the hands of the new right.

meh, crescendocore is pretty much the most formulaic way to be le epic

I don't see why that's a bad thing

Shoegaze.
If you disagree with this then it's time to stop lying to yourself

Because the compositions really aren't that great to start with. At its heart, the archetypal shitty post rock is something played on piano with two fingers. Then you read the "Cheap Shot Dramatic Music Tropes" chapter of Cookie Cutter Film Scoring For Dummies and duly layer the fuck out of everything. Done.

memecore is the most formulaic way to be le contrary

how is shoegaze pretentious?

>If you disagree with this then it's time to stop lying to yourself
I like how you imagine that adding this makes you unassailably right.

this. i will never, ever, understand someone who thinks noise is good. they must be so """outlandish""" to enjoy it. at least ambient music can be calm and relaxing, noise is just constant shit for an entire "song"

stop lying to yourself, kiddo

It's just generic, slightly above average indie pop tunes pretending to be artsy by adding a bunch of semi-musical noise on top of it all

Not genres, but...

Merzbow and Captain Beefheart are pretentious af.

>oh noeh i cannot be a selfloathing faggot w-with my v-card!! kiss!!!

this. Old-school post-rock ala Talk Talk and Slint are the only ones that matter to the genre, it rotted away once Godspeed and Sigor Ros became a Sup Forums meme.

This

harsh noise is shit, only abstract collage type noise is interesting

how is this pretentious though

Try this

youtube.com/watch?v=LLb-jJF0nlg

Sigor Ros were still a far more interesting project than Godspeed was. But I can see how all that glossolalia stuff would irritate some listeners.

mediocre music pretending to be deep and artsy. Definition of pretentious

Tortoise are great too.

how is it pretending to be deep and artsy though

there's a lot of real fucking faggots in this thread aren't there

agreed, forgot about them, but they are way more experimental than other old-school post-rockers

The thing that unraveled Sigur Ros for me is listening to Von. It's just straight up garbage. Jonsi isn't a particularly good singer either. And you can sample literally any horrible embarrassing vocal noise into a Yamaha VSS-30 and it will come out sounding like gold.

get the fuck out of here Dave

Shit on gybe a little more and I might just pull the trigger.

>look at me, standing in a sea of faggots. unique and separate.
kek, you're just as retarded as everyone in this thread.

Vaporwave

Lol I thought all noise was the same before I heard this but this is wack as fuck.

vaporwave is a joke so it can't be pretentious because it is the music equivalent of trash

you probably have a 2 inch dick

Other than the entirety of (), they don't use that much vonlenska on most of their albums

People only hate it because if they didn't exist, Explosions in the Sky wouldn't exist.