Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this show has zero depth? It's all style, no substance

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this show has zero depth? It's all style, no substance.

They tried too hard to make the characters likable that they don't even seem like real people. The black kid is so fucking annoying I don't know why they didn't kill the niglet off. Every line he had was him being a complete asshole to his friends.

Anything important about the Upside Down is skimmed over and is left unexplained, which was a huge mistake because now the series has a bunch of plot holes. The only thing the Duffer Brothers care about is jerking off about the 80s and not writing a story that makes sense. I can't wait for everyone to get on the bandwagon and realize this is such an empty series with fabricated and shallow emotional performances.

Literally what show?

>zero depth? It's all style, no substance.

Yep. True Detective season 1 2.0

And dont forget that this show is void of humor. It's clearly made by hacks that dont care about personal artistic input. If their idea was ripping off from others and mixing it up in a predictable and forgettable show they achieved that.

Fuck you

Delete this before the Netflix shills find out and the jews will kill you for it.

>why so butthurt?

It doesn't even handle style that well.

I liked the kids and Hopper. I think the show's success partially lies in seeing the characters navigate the mystery, but I think for most part it's a stylistic success more than anything else. It's a very solid pastiche.

This is why I'm not sure the second season will be able to pull off what the first did, especially if turns out to be a sequel and not an unrelated story in the same style.

>Being this butthurt

Ladies and gentleman: Contrarians

>Every line he had was him being a complete asshole to his friends.
you mean being the most sensible?

The story made perfect sense. There were no plot holes, only interpret-able mysteries which any good show will do to generate conversation. The show did enough blunt explanation for even the plebiest of plebs to understand everything. Even people that have no experience at all with the idea of parallel realities/dimensions/universes should get this. Those sorts of things are part of universally understood culture now.

The only real criticism you can level is that it was derivative or paint by numbers.

>le bald person with psychic powers that scapes from a government laboratory

Can it be any mire cliche?
I watched rhe first three episodes and theres nothing sci fi about this show. Everything is cliche as fuck. Why are people talking good about it?

He was still kind of an asshole.

Check OP's filename, numbnuts.

Honestly, I'd love to see a sequel that explored the Upside Down and its creatures more. There must be more than just that one monster and a bunch of alien fungus, and there's certainly more to learn about how exactly that world connects/interacts with ours. I'd love more solid worldbuilding in that regard, and a sequel could achieve that.

>theres nothing sci fi about this show. Everything is cliche as fuck.

Are you saying that if it's cliche it can't be considered sci-fi? It's more horror than sci-fi anyway, but it's dumb to say "It's not sci-fi because it's cliche."

I personally don't think the Upside Down is very interesting. It was more interesting the less we knew about it. What drove the show was the characters figuring it out--the teamwork of the kids and Hop's Mulder-esque investigation of the conspiracy. I just don't think it's unique or interesting enough on its own to really justify another season dedicated to it. The Upside Down and the monster were the least interesting parts to me, especially in the second half.

I feel the same way about the characters themselves. I liked most of them, but I'm not sure there's enough left to do with them to warrant revisiting them. I could be wrong, though. I hope I am if that's the direction they're going to take.

dustin best girl

dustin is LITERALLY /ourguy/

I didn't say that. What I said is that there's nothing sci fi about it at least what Ive seen in the first three episodes AND it's cliche as fuck.

>it's cliche as fuck
Yep
>there's nothing sci fi about it
it gets their, its a SK kinda sci-fi tho which is either bad or good depending on taste

>I personally don't think the Upside Down is very interesting.

I think it could be made interesting, though. I think it was some lost potential, honestly. It seemed weird to me that only the one monster and some weird fungus existed there, I was expecting more than just that. I was actually surprised when a character just so casually stated they were going to kill the monster, because up until that point I was thinking it was multiple creatures. I was imagining that the other dimension broke through to ours somehow and was now seeping in and trying to take over and absorb our reality.

I thought the different times we saw the monster it was a different monster of the same or similar species, breaking through temporarily as the borders between worlds weakened, abducting people and then being sucked back. But nope, it's just one monster and the Upside Down is just... empty.

So then I thought maybe the monster came about from an experiment or was some alien/extradimensional creature that was actually creating the Upside Down itself, and it was spreading out over time and covering more of the world, which is why we saw it near Will's house first, then at further and further locations as it spread its other-dimensional spores and expanded its personal dimension in parallel to ours. Essentially creating a pocket dimension to exist in while fucking with our actual dimension and inhabitants. But nope, not that, either. The Upside Down is just another parallel dimension that was always there and this just happens to be the only creature in it, no others.

Maybe it's some kind of crazy apocalyptic time travel situation and that's why all the man-made buildings are there. NOPE.

I dunno. I had all kinds of ideas swirling in my head about what it all could be, but they didn't do ANY of it and went with the least interesting possible options for everything. So I hope season 2 expands on the potential they squandered here and turns it into something more interesting.

This guy knows it. I regret watching this tumblr-tier bullshit.

The show's cover art has stars/galaxies. Best believe we seeing some Aliens next season.

>It's another Sup Forums wants to be a contrarian episode

>Anything important about the Upside Down is skimmed over and is left unexplained

Care to elaborate?

>a show like The Walking Dead has 16 episodes per season
>Sup Forums: fucking Jews at AMC! Filling up the episodes with pointless filler bullshit for more money!
>a show like Stranger Things has only 8 episodes
>Sup Forums: fucking Jews at Netflix! They didn't make the season long enough because they're cheap and now were stuck with a bunch of plotholes and a story that makes no sense

Pick one, I'm glad it was a short season with no filler bullshit, so I'm not sure what the appropriate length for a season of a tv show that Sup Forums would find appropriate

Glad I'm not the only person who was disappointed by this show. It's easy to grab people with mystery but the end result was so unsatisfying.

I was honestly surprised when it ended on episode 8. 10 one hour episodes it's a tried and true show period that this shoe would have benefitted by adopted.

>its another didn't like the monster post

when acting irrational seems rational and someone who is acting rational is telling you you're being irrational they'll always seem like assholes.
>tell friends girl is dangerous
>argue over it
>get rekt by girl
he wasn't wrong in any situation except for his friend's body

I appreciate how honest they were with making Nancy end up with Steve.

I think they might have wanted to, the whole 4th wall breaking shit at the end with lucas
>it was 10 hours
sounds like the script might have planned for it and netflix cut it to 8

just a theory

I felt like that entire scene was directed at the audience, like they were expecting to hear complaints about plot holes and unexplained things and how it wasn't long enough, so they're basically telling the audience, "It was long enough, not everything needs to be explained right now, stop worrying about plot holes, and we'll cover more in later seasons, so fucking simmer down!"

yea def, what i'm saying is I think in the script he says 10 because they planned for 10 eps and it was cut to 8

Fuck you guys, this show was great. It split things up into multiple simultaneous stories, but unlike some shows (GoT), they were all pretty interesting on their own instead of having like one story you always wanted to get back to and one story that was fucking boring as hell

They were also very good at eeking out the information at a good pace. Most shows that tread the same mystery/horror line just feed you more and more questions and no answers for 90% of the show/movie, and then try to answer everything too quickly all at once towards the end. This show did a phenomenal job of answering questions along the way so that the first 2/3rds didn't just feel like filler leading up to a climax

That's possible. Might also be they just didn't want it to be TOO on the nose.

Ok Sup Forumseddit

Neat buzzwords, nice opening meme to your post. Your post is all style, no substance.

>Anything important about the Upside Down is skimmed over and is left unexplained

Like what?

>something not being over-explained means it's a plot hole

I really miss the days when plot hole wasn't just another meaningless buzzword.

>the series has a bunch of plot holes.

Like what?

>It seemed weird to me that only the one monster and some weird fungus existed there

Why? She only touched one creature, this creating the bridge that linked it to our universe. She didn't link two places, only herself with the thing she touched, creating a new place interconnected with ours when doing so. The place itself was just the town around her injected into a new place and then populated by the creature and all the spore stuff. If anything the sludge and fungus stuff is the weird shit, but I guess they were somehow linked to the creature itself being a weird fungus/flower creature.

>She didn't link two places, only herself with the thing she touched, creating a new place interconnected with ours when doing so.

This seems like a reasonable explanation, but that wasn't the impression I got from the show. It seemed to me that Eleven only created a bridge from one existing world to another, not that anything was newly created when it happened.

G-GRAVITY FALLS IS CANCELLED?

W-WELL!! B-BETTER RIP IT OFF AND THEN ALSO RIP OFF EERIE INDIANA B-BUT IT'S AN HOMAGE!

It was fun but I also agree the that its style and tone was the only thing that really stood out. At the end of it I just felt like I had to re watch the films that inspired this series, but I don't think I would do the opposite and re watch this season in the future, sadly. Maybe s2 will be better.

>The black kid is so fucking annoying
I agree, but he was the most sensible one. I just think his acting wasn't as good as the rest of the kids, so he felt a little grating.

I don't think it's that, I think the kid played a rude, abrasive asshole pretty well. I mean yeah, he was sensible, but he was kind of a dick about it. The issue is, he was the only person reacting realistically and reasonably to a fantasy situation, so regardless - he's gonna come off as a prick, because he's the guy that wants to turn off the audience's fun.

forcing le ebin alternative 80s music down our throats is getting old. never want to hear that clash song again.

>show takes place in the 80's
>nothing about it feels authentic at all

Hate this shit

nobody said mouth breather, chill or douchebag in the 80s

It didn't seem that way to me at all, because of what you yourself stated. There's only one creature running around, the one she touched. Things are only happening at a very local level instead of a world-wide convergence, and how could the parallel universe have all those exactly-the-same buildings as the human world if it doesn't have, or seem to ever have had, humans? The way she got rid of the creature was by removing herself as well, because the two were linked.

To me everything pointed to the upside-down just being a temporary middle-ground created between two parallel universes, not a parallel universe in itself.

i have to admit i hated the nig nog too, but its finally a show with charakters i actually cared about, didnt have this feeling since dexter 1-2.

>gravity falls
wew lad

Wow, there's actually a lot of meta dialogue in that scene

>What about the proud princess? (Barbra?)
>The weird flowers in the cave (Eggs in the Upside Down?)
>The Lost Knight (literally who?)

>The Lost Knight (literally who?)

Guy who was sent in by the science guys might have escaped? Seems like the most obvious analogue to a knight getting lost in a dungeon.

b8
prob b8 but
>Mysterious Knight
Hop

>b8

what the fuck is wrong you? are you from reddit or something?

Hop is the least lost of all characters at the end, mate. He was lost at the start of the show and obviously found himself again by the end.

On second episode, she better not lose her virginity to douchebag steve
Reeeeeeeeeeeee

b8
>Mysterious Knight

What's this show about? I haven't had Netflix in a while but I keep hearing good thing about here so I might end torrenting it

I've only seen about three episodes. I like the 80s setting because it removes some of the forensic capabilities of the present and adds to the mystery/spooky atmosphere. I don't think it's utilized all that well, but it is something to consider. The opening title track is wonderful, as is the 80s pulp-horror font. So far, I'm not terribly engaged though.

>flourishes bat
Why is Steve the best character?

Are you doing some kind of reverse-baiting and pretending to be retarded, or do you actually think the kid said Mysterious Knight and not Lost Knight?

Its an 80s kids adventure movie mixed with xfiles

>Its an 80s kids adventure movie mixed with Stephen King

Fix'd. It felt hardly nothing like X-Files except for the bits in the library maybe and the spooks.

Reeeee
She had sex with the chad
Reeeeeeeeeeee

Both thesw degenerates need to die horrible deaths on the show now
Literally all women are sluts
Reeeeeeeeeeeee

killing myself brb

>shitting up the show with characters other than the 4 kids

Why?

I agree. Whenever the plot focused on other groups, I just wanted to go back to El and the guys.

>mfw Mr. Clarke pulled out a pen and paper

there is no pleasing, they hate things just to hate things, and god forbid you enjoy something, then youre a shill

>He didn't like the Nancy/ Johnathan Slasher

It was a peper plate.

REEEEE

I watched it for cancer girl

tired of you negative nancies

why dont you calm your autism down and just enjoy a show for once? it's a fun thriller mystery and it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

who else /didntread/ here?

Why does everyone hate Lucas? He played the vital role of logical skeptic in the group, and while we the audience knew that Eleven was good someone in his position had literally no reason to think so. Sometimes-spotty acting aside, he had one of the more realistic reactions to all the weird shit going on.

The earliest reference I could find to douchebag in the urban dictionary was 2004 that's like 20 years after Stranger Things took place

I'm enjoying it an you can't stop me.

You think Urban Dictionary existed in the 80s?

I hate him, but I feel bad for it because he has a very valid point.

It's a starting point inasmuch that we can be certain that douchebag was invented no later than 2004

'Douchebag and its variants, or simply douche,[10][11] are pejorative terms[11] referring to an arrogant, obnoxious, or despicable person.[12] The slang usage of the term originated in the 1960s.[13]

Make Gravity Falls but good. I like it.

Chief o' Police Jim Hopper was the man. It was a little ridiculous how he broke into the complex and got so far, but fuck it he looked cool doing it