Whats the difference between religion and a cult

whats the difference between religion and a cult

How many people follow it.

size

the rituals.
blood of christ is kinda cultish, but hey its just wine instead of deer's blood

source: BA in Philosophy/religious Studies

this. only this.

In a cult, they worship a guy and do what he says. In a religion, that guy's dead

Stolen from Rogan, makes sense

Kool-Aid.

Some cults can seem like normal religions, until you try to leave. Scientology is a nightmare if you want to get out.

Real Estate

Get out of my telephone.

What about catholics then? Tthey have the pope telling them what to do.

A cult is lead by a guy that knows everything is made up fake shit that's just crazy enough for hopeless idiots to believe.

A religion happens when that guy is dead.

Cult is a religious practice, religion is a belief in a superior force or entity.

He's only a vessel. They don't worship the pope, they worship God through the pope

Religion \ri-ˈli-jən\ : (See: "Islam")
Cult \ˈkəlt\ : (See: "Donald J. Trump")

/thread
also kek.

Do you even Max Weber?

All religions are cults, but only some cults are religions.

Bollocks.

A cult seeks total control of your life, by:
-cutting you off from external contacts
-shame tactics to force compliance
-making sure all thought and input comes from a central authority
-destroying your life if you try to leave

A small religion without these traits is a SECT, not a cult. So, no matter how big it gets, Scientology will always be a "cult;" no matter how small it ever was, Animism can only be a "sect."

None because you shouldnt care unless its kekaphobic but kek will just remove them like kebab

This.

cult = dude at the top who knows its all bullshit
religion = that guy is dead

Ex wiccan now roman Catholic. It's very very pagan, just with different names. All my rituals match roman Catholic mass just with different words and faces

Kek'd

So, the Christian god was alive? The muzzie's Allah was alive? Naw...

Religions worship an unearthly power
Cults worship a living man

PROTIP: When Steve Jobs was alive, Apple fit every definition of a cult

>False
Please refer to roman Catholic mass

>whats the difference between religion and a cult
The number of followers

literally nothing

So by that definition Christianity was a cult until Jesus died

Praise Jesus, the Divine Faggot. No one cums to the Father but through Him.

Christians believe Jesus was the son of God, born to a human mother. Their "savior", but not their "god".

A cult becomes a religon the day it can mass enough people for a witch hunt.

Christianity wasn't formed until he died

A cult is smaller.

Not true. Lots of people have iPhones.

There were lots of heretical Jewish cults and sects. Christianity was just another one of them.

Fucking kek

The PR department

Eye c wat u 6i6 thr33

Nothing.

>/thread

A cult is secretive, whereas a religion is open to exposure.

The typical baptist church is open to allowing people who are curious about the faith to explore the faith and maybe become part of it if they want to.

A cult wont let you in unless you have done a lot of secretive initiation rights to become a member of it, and wont let you tell anyone about it. So Mormonism is a cult of Christianity.

ITT, actual definitions thrown to wind. Welcome to 2017. Pic very fucking related.

>Scientology

Wanna do-over on that, user?

So where does Roman Catholic fall?
>Open to the curious public
>Must undergo initiation to become recognized member

looks like someone gets butt-hurt easily.
I suggest ass-cream user. It soothes the ass.

Mainly that cults either will actively prevent you from leaving with force, or doing the "soft" version of that, namely all of the cult cutting off contact with you if you leave.

The Jehova's Witnesses, and the Mormons in some areas are famous for doing that.

Btw. by that definition we can confidently call large portions of Islam a cult, since they will go out of their way to kill you when you leave.

Initiation itself does not lead to culthood i think.
It also has to oppose members who want to leave.

Catholic church does not condone leaving, but they do not oppose it (as far as i am aware).

Ahhh, that's right the Catholic Church allows you to leave but leaves their doors open for you always and happily sit with you for confession

protestants have initiation by baptism, but they aren't cultish. So i owuld assume that it would also make it a stuggle to leave once you are a member.

essentially:
cult has:
>secretive
>hard entry
>hard departure

Religion is:
>open to public observation
>easy entry
>easy departure

Literally Islam. Religions are bigger and older and thereby are publicly acceptable, that's the only difference.

confession is rather theraputic, and also free.
It's great therapy, try it sometime user (if you are religious)

please see:

This is a good system

agreed.

Oh look. Yet ANOTHER whiny, sore loser.

I went back after a decade of abandoning it recently. The Catholic Church has alot to offer people if they have an open mind

And ass.

Islam threats you with death if you leave and casts you out and conversion to judaism is difficult

There are more religions than Christianity, yank.

And another plus. If cops come to question a priest about someone's confession US law requires them to disclose it but the Vatican has literally flown priests out to Vatican to escape the law so they don't have to break their seal

Wait.. a real discussion on Sup Forums?
Where am i?