Ask an astrophysicist anything

ask an astrophysicist anything

Why is the earth flat?

people dont know why it be like it be but it do

What would happen if I stuck my finger in a black hole

What's your average workload in a day? Do you ever encounter a astrophysicist-version of writer's block?

Is it possible to get a boner in space?

ALIENS NIGGA! HOW MANY ARE THERE??

/thread

What was your dissertation focused on?

What is the most enjoyable and least enjoyable aspect of your career?

What the fuck is an astrophysicist and what do you do?

Where did you do your graduate?

I have a BS in physics and astronomy and it seems useless until I chase a PhD (aside from research which pays shit and has no publication credits). I can't decide if that is a mountain I want to climb and if I want to go out-of-state to do it.

Why aren't people mass migrating off of this fucked planet yet? Are you faggots even trying?

fuck. yes.
you wouldnt be able to. but if you say the 'center' of the black hole your entire body would undergo spaghettification. even more interestingly, the gravity at your fingernail would be so much stronger than the gravity at your knuckle it would just be obliterated.
not going to get too specific and ill put it in laymans terms but the effects of blackholes on other blackholes
its kinda hard to explain for what i do specifically but its a fuckton of code. Its not as bad as it used to be though.

id rather not answer that because it would creep me out for people to find my identity.
i liek space n stuff.
anytime that i can go into work and the people in there are hollering about something new. its the best feeling being able to help them discover it.

I'll assume gravitational waves and experimental rather than theoretical.

I did a master's thesis on black hole thermodynamics and information loss.

you got it. I also got to observe ligo in person and it was amazing.

We've got some nice tools for studying black hole dynamics now, especially with webb coming up I expect experimental cosmology to be an interesting topic next decade.

ANWER ME!! HOW MANYYYY???? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THEM!?!?!?

Magnets? How do they work?

Neil Degrasse Tyson is a dumbass?

I thought it was well known they are miracles of life.

Why does it hurt to piss?

Will Donald Trump destroy the earth?

Is the sun the biggest planet

You'd be dead for thousands if not millions of years before you got close enough to try, so it doesn't matter.

Should I go to school to be an astrophysicist?

The Emperor of Mankind hasn't revealed himself, to lead us yet, heretic.

Do you think Hooke was a thief?

From your experience, which has the worst customers: Subway or McDonald's?

>id rather not answer that because it would creep me out for people to find my identity

>because Sup Forums keeps up with who's who amongst tax dollar wasting parasitic eggheads.

Seriously dude, why don't you do something useful like designing freedom preserving weapons or pastoring a Bible believing church? Every tax dollar you Darwinist scientists/atheists spend, is a dollar that evaporates from the economy forever, and cannot ever be used to spread the word of God to all the heathens, Muslims, Catholics, etc. There are God-fearing, decent pastors who will forever have to do without another gold ring/chain because of your selfish waste of their congregation's tax dollars. You should be ashamed.

>the effects of blackholes on other blackholes

Is that stephen hawking's book about black holes good? I'm thinking of buying it

Don't be retarded user. The sun is made of gas. Planets are not. Also, there is only one sun, whereas there are more planets. The Sun is completely unique, and mysterious. Did you know that no one has been able to figure out where the Sun goes at night?

>anytime that i can go into work and the people in there are hollering about something new. its the best feeling being able to help them discover it.

Maaan this makes me wanna study hard and get into that, I've always wondered if you guys actually said what you just said

Doesn't it get kinda boring/frustrating, just trying and trying to test shit out theorically?

>Did you know that no one has been able to figure out where the Sun goes at night?

you joking right?

>The sun is made of gas. Planets are not
Right. Like Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune are called "Rocky giants."