/prod/ - Music Production General

Previous thread: Producers, composers, songwriters, welcome.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

pastebin:
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists
clyp.it/v15n4e0r
clyp.it/pm20no11
clyp.it/r5dvi11r
clyp.it/uykx1iyn
pssl.com/Audio-Interfaces?by=Category
clyp.it/1eo03xpo
clyp.it/rktyd4om
clyp.it/bxmc23of
soundcloud.com/ujico/ramune
clyp.it/ydb4l04e
clyp.it/me51lrvc
youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E&t=6s
clyp.it/b1xxr1xt
vocaroo.com/i/s1wz34ertKlN
clyp.it/dwdqkyqa?token=9200a262554568f580a23eb646be299d
clyp.it/nu0kaf2g
clyp.it/0jonghak
youtube.com/watch?v=DnBr070vcNE&t=315s
youtube.com/watch?v=eoSCVWAiGzk&app=desktop
clyp.it/z2kxgson
clyp.it/35uf40ji
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

I'm fighting a bit with this mix. Basically, I have a mandolin which plays both low and high notes and which should be in focus, then I have an Omnisphere multi with a few choirs, pads and strings and then I have drums beneath everything. I want it to have a fair amount of reverb, but I don't know if everything is coming through as it should.

clyp.it/v15n4e0r

posted this in the last thread but i would love some more feedback.

basic bitch house tune: clyp.it/pm20no11

The bass sounds a bit too boomy in the upper bass.

High mandolin is good, low is good but is competing with the bass / pad.
Drums are a tad quite imo too.

good work user. Bass line/vocal sample remind me of hot since 82 type stuff.

Only thing i didn't really like is that justice genesis sample. Maybe replace it with something more unique, or reduce how often it's used?

its not a sample doe...

its an operator (built in ableton synth) running through RP-verb (rob papen plugin).

The more I listen to a track, the more I hate it. I don't know what's wrong with me anymore. I need some fresh ears, though. (Had to lower the quality because size too big).

clyp.it/r5dvi11r

Ya know, I will never get to a mastering stage if I'll continue dropping my projects, I never learned how to finish a mix and master a track in 3 years because I never finished a piece. What to do with this now?

clyp.it/uykx1iyn
Opinions?

cut the intro down to where the bar ends at 24s, it's too long
add more body to the kick
the drop is good, the chorus is good

I got the same problem of never finishing projects because I spend way too much time fiddling with tiny details in inserts and shit instead of arranging the whole song beforehand and then putting all the effects etc on it. I suck at writing bridges, I struggle with transitions from chorus back to verses, and because of that I avoid going past intro+verse1+chorus most of the time.
I need to stop trying to be a perfectionist when ultimately all i#m doing is just wasting time.

Seems relatively well composed. Bass is maybe a bit flat and uninteresting. Seems kinda corny tho. Is this the kinda music you hear in your head?

=\

fuck dude im also stuck on a never ending project. been at the same fucking song for 4 weeks. every other day i probably play though my song like 20 times.

its not a bad tune though but the structure seems a bit off (unless you intentionally cropped it for sample play).

what you can try to do is load up comparable songs in your daw and then just rip off the structure by adding markers at changes in the music and then making notes about them like pic related.

some vocals could also help.

would love to hear the intro and change up the riffs a bit.

Maybe the worst thing ever posted in these threads.

its a shitty feel when you make 30 tracks and realize you´re so done creatively theres nothing left in the bank
like should i just do something generic as fuck until i get motivation

Listen to music you wouldn't normally listen to. Don't be afraid to repeat yourself either.

Hey guys, total production noob here. I want to be able to record a rock demo for myself to show to others. What kind of extra equipment do I need? What DAW would be the best for my needs? What things should I keep in mind while working on the project?

Get a soundcard with a mic and guitar input and cubase. You'll need either an amp sim like guitar rig/amplitube that's used as a plugin inside cubase OR you will need to mic up a small guitar amp with an SM-57.

Assuming you have a laptop, a guitar and an amp I would say get a 2 input audio interface like the 2i2 or whatever it's called by Focusrite and a microphone (SM57/SM58 maybe).

Reaper is a free (or infinite trial) DAW to record with. You might wanna get Superior Drummer or something similar if you don't have a drumkit.

a good quality audio interface and is atleast 2x2. doesnt have to be expensive but get something that is actually meant for recording shit.
>pssl.com/Audio-Interfaces?by=Category
just plug your guitar in and away you go. you can apply amp fx and othershit in the DAW.

as for DAWs anything will do but Protools, Cubace, Nuendo, or Logic are better suited to traditional music compared to FL or Ableton and there is an abundance of tutorials out there for those DAWs compared to more obscure and less adopted software.

You can even use Garageband to get started (its basically a cut down version of Logic).

you might like Steinberg Sequel

its like an alternative to garage band

Yeah, I just cropped a part of it. I basically agree with every single thing you guys said, and I'll add that the synth I use at transition sounds very cringy and I'm trying to find something similar but better for that. But I just lose any motivation after some time. I think a better production would keep me interested.

>Seems kinda corny tho. Is this the kinda music you hear in your head?

Yeah, this is the thing I always fear the most, and it happens sometimes.

Nah, I had a completely different vibe for this while I was improvising on a piano, but I managed to get something else out of it. This was the basic idea, it was supposed to be a lot more low-fi, simpler, atmospheric, tame:

clyp.it/1eo03xpo

I'm even thinking about starting from scratch with it (but only if it doesn't still sound corny). Also, I don't have any specific genre honestly, actually this was also me: and I started working on that after pausing this project.

I just want to finish something and actually be proud of it enough so I can post it on my empty Soundcloud, but it just... Isn't going well. I mean, 3 years is a fucking long ass time.

i like this one

my comp game is weak so i like hearing other peoples shit.

>clyp.it/1eo03xpo
Sounds like it was written for pizzicato violins or something

BUT, I want to mention something, which probably had the biggest impact on me. Somebody once said that you shouldn't make your songs too precious. It's just one song after all - and it resonates with me because I always think it's not good enough so I drop it while I can still learn from it. Just wanted to share it.

Also, making a completely acoustic version of a song makes a big difference, for me, I realized it never works if it doesn't work as a solo piano piece. This is actually pretty basic and loopy because I went to a production stage just with a single idea, and when you start composing in piano roll, it doesn't always turn out to be good.

Glad you did, it does sound different.

Could be, actually, I'll see how it sounds with violins right now.

lol, yeah it sounds good with them. Gives me new ideas.

clyp.it/rktyd4om

>clyp.it/rktyd4om
Sounds cool. If you even think about dropping some EDM drums over it I'm gonna vomit though.

clyp.it/bxmc23of

What do you guys think? My mum liked it.

I don't know if it is right thread to post this but:
What do you think about this?
Is it worth the price ?

Depends how much money you have. I think it'd be a great piece of equipment for traveling or using on the couch or something. I know I've used my Volcas more than bigger fancier more expensive shit I own just because it's easy to pick up and fuck around with.

not really music related but why the fuck do video mixers use a T shaped lever instead of a regular fader?

not a fan of it because it doesnt have midi and is pretty chintzy on the pots even though it costs a fuckload.

it does make some neat sounds though.

Should I buy a recording studio session or build my own studio in my apartment? Leaning towards just going to someone elses' studio especially because I suck at mixing

its 2017 mang. you can get everything you need for under 500$ now. (speakers, audio interface, keyboard). with unlimited time.

Build your own. Teach yourself how to mix better. If you're desperate for results now then go to a studio. Seems pretty short sighted though.

this

hiring a studio is a fucking meme now. unless they have some $20000 piece of equipment that you feel is absolutely necessary for your project there is not point.

>you can get everything you need for under 500$ now
i dont see why someone would "build a studio" with the cheapest most entry level versions of each piece of gear

unlimited time for the user to hone his skills.

like how many hours of studio time would you even be able to get for 500$?

Buying a mini midi keyboard today. I can live with just 12 keys. Tell me the best one, /prod/

>I can live with just 12 keys
does anybody even make a single octave controller? the smallest i've seen is 25 key

12? You may as well just use your computer keyboard....

I think 3 is the minimum to be worth the effort unless you don't plan on playing chords for some reason

dont bother with anything less than 49 keys mang.

i bought a small 25 key controller and regret it since you cant do bass and alto together when you are jamming out ideas.

Depends if you're counting pads.

gotta word this, 25 keys suck unless you already know what you're gonna be playing beforehand, and even then it sucks having to switch between bass and alto octaves for recording

Check out my track, niggas.

clyp.it/od1qs5u2

i have been using my computer keys but obviously its not the real deal and i want to actually look at keys when i play. And yeah i can do bass if i go down some octaves. i record one instrument at a time anyway

boring edgy shit

I know...

i dont like how the rock guitar in logic pro x sounds at all. i think other instruments are all great and amazing things are doable with the ones alredy installed in it. but i wonder if someone know some sick guitar plugin? thank you

what the fuck is this lazy bullshit

Never heard a good guitar VST.

alright lads I was listening to this soundcloud.com/ujico/ramune and I was amazed by how good the stereo imaging was. So i took one of my track and try to replicate the effect.

Here it is originally: clyp.it/ydb4l04e

Here it is with more stereo imaging: clyp.it/me51lrvc

I can't decide by myself since they all sound the same to me, the stereo version has less impact since most of the sounds are panned, therefore the track is less "in your face". what do you think Sup Forums?

The second one sounds much better.

yay i agree with the one above me, 2nd better. Also, I like this track good job

overpriced but extremely useful and well designed machine.

anybody else in here just visit for the good feels of being innately better than all these tryhards?
pretty satisfying deysoo

how do I remove expansions packs from nexus 2.2?

>being innately better

throw your shit here then nignog

Sometimes I feel good that I'm actually happy with my life

my dick is still worn out from the last couple of times. Every time I post its a circlejerk

>implying

don't you have any better drum samples? these sound like they lack quite a bit of high freqs

>anybody else in here just visit for the good feels of being innately better than all these tryhards?
No but I do come here to lurk just for the keks and to hear you spastics walking off about how good Fruity toots is and bickering about the stupidest fucking things

*wanking

That's Modern Drummer vst, I just did it on purpose because I don't want them to be in focus at all. I guess this is a good enough example. Go straight to 1:50 and see how much in the back they are here:

youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E&t=6s

Hello, Jbenitex.

Anyone else use Reaktor Blocks up in here? Realtor is without a doubt the best value VSTi I've ever bought

I feel like I'm watching the intro of a bad 80s movie.

It's a little repetitive but that's just the psychedelic aesthetic isn't it. I think I like it, but I'm not sure if it has much to do with the music itself or the feeling of nostalgia for Red Letter Media.

clyp.it/b1xxr1xt

>implying he'd ever post without namefagging

makin a fuckin slapper
vocaroo.com/i/s1wz34ertKlN

Been a long time since ive posted anything here

does the comb filtering and stereo widening of the drops make it seem "phasey"? I like the pushed back effect of it all but my one friend says he doesnt. stay true to your own liking or follow others?

clyp.it/dwdqkyqa?token=9200a262554568f580a23eb646be299d

ehhhh widened bass is not that popular, however that doesn't mean that it's bad. your drop has a decent arrangement, i'm sure people would forgive it.

I'm not a fan of the fast lfo build up tho, fucks up the dynamics too much for me

fast LFO build up? I haven't done much LFO tweaking during the builds, it's all simple EQ automation - at which time within the song did it throw you off?

:30 and similar. if you wire an automation to look like what a lfo would do, then what's the point of not calling it a lfo?

true, i guess your right. it's just tremolo with rising low pass EQ so yeah... totally an LFO lol. Anyway, thanks for the feedback man

be cautious with that reverb, a little goes a long way

mastering and mixing are most definitely the least of your problems

extremely dated sounds and melodies

sounds unfinished. Sounds like what you'd get if you solo'd a bus of one of my tracks.

Everyone in this thread could remake this in 15 minutes

pretty awful in every aspect
also,
remix competitions why

uninspired rubbish

It's like some satanist witches in San Francisco put a curse on your genre, where you're only allowed to use those exact two chords for the rest of your trivial existence.

>mastering and mixing are most definitely the least of your problems
I'm interested now. Could you elaborate (even though I know what you'll say)? Tips?

Your track is shit and you're shit.

i really like this. i hope you're going to upload the final version on souncloud. and yes the intro was way too long lmao

your sounds mostly, but also rhythm and composition, are just super boring. I don't know exactly how to critique it, because there's not much to critique.

I guess because of enough saturation of it over the years, these particular sounds don't impress me at all when used in this way.

Hahahaha holy shit you had me dying at San Francisco! Jesus lol, thanks for the feedback and sorry you didn't like the track, I really enjoy it with the simple progression. I'll keep your comment in mind for my next track, but don't worry not everything I make is this simply put as far as chord progressions.

Yeah, "sounds" is by far the #1 thing I get in /prod/, I know it myself too, I guess I kinda suck at choosing the right sounds, it is the least interesting part of production to me.

Ok, so mostly this is just your personal opinion, but still, I'll have to somewhat agree on boringness of some elements, it is what I said in another post - when I don't write a whole piece on a piano, I know it will become a bit too simple, loopy thing, and it's why I'm not really satisfied with this.

But, even if it has been done before (and I know it has), it is new to me (in a sense that I haven't made anything like it yet) so it's enough of a reason to give it a try at least once. It's a good practice if nothing else.

Thanks, I guess I'll work on it, but I can't promise anything, I have a strong tendency of abandoning projects. It's possible that I will make something completely new from that same idea

Oh btw, I remembered I worked a bit on this wip since the last time (like a few months ago), and if you thought the sounds were bad in the previous clyp, you need to check this out:

clyp.it/nu0kaf2g

yeh I might have a recommendation or two. Basically whenever I have no inspiration or am trapped in a bubble of repeating the same sounds over and over I just go draw inspiration from somewhere else. This could be either 1. listening to new artists and forms of music or 2. sampling something.
clyp.it/0jonghak
this is a year old it's really fucking bad so take no mind (also I don't make shit like this anymore), but it's pretty relevant to this problem. I was struggling with finding something unique for that drop synthwise, so I just gave up and went 180, started fishing through my audio folder and ended up using a knife scrape then heavily processed it.

>tfw can't hear difference between different temperaments

And this is why I knew I will never make it with music.

>pretty awful in every aspect

can you elaborate?

how do you guys stay motivated

I wouldn't give a fuck if I was actually good, but since I'm not even that... Yeah, it's hard.

Check out this guy if you want to get depressed.

youtube.com/watch?v=DnBr070vcNE&t=315s

lads does this chord progression sound decent to you?

Fmaj add 9 - Gmaj - Am add 2 - Dm7

sounds good to me, probably because im using sin waves

it's fine

listen to it with a synth that isn't sine waves then

could we fucking have the old picback?

on another note, this guy youtube.com/watch?v=eoSCVWAiGzk&app=desktop

I really like this.

clyp.it/z2kxgson
I've reached an impasse, and can't think of how to continue this.

Not bad, but it gets old pretty quick. The Fripp-y guitar doesn't fit all that well either. I like it tho

no

You didn't even try. 0/10.

A tad skeletal, but I dig it. Could do with some lyrics or some sort of lead.

sounds annoying

like it u sick fuck

we got the good stuff for this evening, would hold on the first part more

How so?

>clyp.it/35uf40ji

Took everyone's feedback from the last thread and got a mix that I'm happy with, also added a lowpass filter to the beginning so it's not as harsh.

Any thoughts on how I can improve this song?

>clyp.it/z2kxgson
I would go crazy with the noisy aspect of this track. Try and add harsher bass notes in a higher frequency. I do like where you're going with this and could see it being a cool song if you introduce more intrumentals to it.

>clyp.it/dwdqkyqa?token=9200a262554568f580a23eb646be299d
Around 1:26 I'm not a fan of the LFO applied to the master. It's a little distracting. But I do like the arrangement and how wide the song sounds. Only thing I'd change is the LFO, maybe ditch it entirely.

Have you considered drums?

I could do that but I think the song is more suited with out it. And if I did I'd have to ditch my harsh and vibrant mastering to accommodate for all the new instruments added.

I think your song would greatly benefit from some drums. Specially the most intense parts.

Good stuff btw.

I'll try and experiment with that. I'll probably just have very minimal percussion like reverb and delayed wood blocks, a kick, and hats.

Thanks.