CDs, Vinyl, neither or both?

Assuming you're collecting, mostly just for enjoyment.

Both have their upsides and downsides and I was wondering what Sup Forums thought.

strawpoll.me/12907245

I'm personally in the "both" camp, cause it spans almost all important music. CDs are cheaper, sound best and harder to mess up, but vinyl has big art, more novelty and a "warm" sound.

Bump

I buy a bit of stuff second hand so the format isn't that much of a consideration.

I buy CDs to listen to the music
I buy vinyl to display the cover art

This. Both or good (but CDs better) if you're going Goodwill/garage sale hunting

I only have a dozen of cds anymore, mostly to listen in my car and stuff I can't really find on vinyl. If I'm gonna spend time and money building a physical music collection, might as well be something nicer than a 6"×6" picture in a plastic case.

Got a couple hundred records and CDs, both formats have their perks. CD's are good for portability and fidelity, records have a nicer sound imo and the size is also a perk

I think the warm sound thing is at least partially a placebo. hardly noticeable for all but the realest of enthusiasts. Personally I listen to all my music as MP3s and collect my favorites on vinyl for the artwork and sentimentality

Pretty much this
I like to think I can really notice it, but I guess I don't care about placebo as long as it keeps working
I don't need to know if my happiness is fake

I buy vinyl for the warm tones
I buy CD for convenience and sound quality
I buy cassette to jerk off with my dick sanwiched between two of them

i buy cheap vinyl if i see it

I just rely on muh FLACs from muh private trackers these days. I do have around 1000 records from my youth which I force my parents to look after.

quite a few of them are worth a decent amount of money. I expect more of them to gain value with time.

>physical media
>purchasing music
oh boy, i sure do love wasting my money on pretty sounds.

Vinyl is good for dubplates, scratching, and finding stuff that isn't on any other format.

How many of you people actually play CDs regularly? Because I just rip them and keep them in my shelf.

Mostly in the car
I dunno though, I guess I'd listen more if I got a real CD player, think it's worth it?

When I'm around a CD player I enjoy the ritual of putting them on and everything. Physical releases are always fun of stuff that one really enjoys. Just makes me happy thinking about my collection.

I'd like to add, the stuff I find on vinyl that's only on vinyl, I keep on vinyl, or possibly I may make a digital copy but just for my self. Having obscure things is fun.

>he says while wasting his life on an anonymous korean dog soup imageboard

>He posts that while on a planet orbiting the sun

fucking pleb orbiting earth is FAR more patrician

it doesn't cost money to waste my time. time doesn't buy food or hookers.

This. If I want to just listen to music I go digital, if I want the full badass package (not to mention something that retains its value better) I go vinyl. I dont see any appeal in CDs after years of broken cheap ass jewel cases and scratched discs. Pro tip - even if you take good care of your cds, they WILL degrade

Stream music on Apple Music
Buy vinyl albums that I love

I used to buy CDs, but now I strictly buy vinyl if I want a physical copy of an album.

It's nice to turn off my computer ever once in a while and listen to vinyl, disconnected from the whole hubbub of online life

I strongly prefer CDs because they're portable and ubiquitous but still have cases and artwork and shit

It really is a good feeling. Not to mention Im committed to listening to the album all the way through and experiencing it as an entire piece. When Im listening to my ipod or whatever I tend to just skip around. It demands a full engagement with the music

I do prefer vinyl, but I always check for user reviews etc. of the pressing before purchasing, otherwise I just buy the CD.

Why wouldn't you buy music that gave you an experience that you otherwise wouldn't have had? You don't need music and it doesn't have any practical use so why would you bother listening to it if you don't appreciate it enough to buy it? You clearly don't care how the art so just stop and find something you actually like.

i enjoy music quite a bit. i also consider making music a hobby of mine. just because i'm not willing to spend money on it doesn't mean i can't appreciate the art. in fact, i think the monetary aspect of music to be contrary to the very idea of art. i also find it stupid to pay for an hour of sound, especially when it's easier to just get it for free.

I don't know about all of that, it's fun flipping the records and putting it right on the pin

CDs to keep in my car
vinyl to keep at home

You don't appreciate music, the fact that you dumb it down to just "an hour of sound" proves that.

>only listening to hour long albums

This.