Is it pronounced 'gif' or 'jif'?

Is it pronounced 'gif' or 'jif'?

Other urls found in this thread:

theschoolhouse.us/lessons/lesson53
youtube.com/watch?v=9iafa959JvY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

that Cobra gave that baby a lot of kisses!

proper americans say 'gif'

It's scared like me

'gif' because you don't say Jraphics

'gif' of course

It's gif. End of debate

giraffe

It's 'jif' you peasants

jif

giraphe

>indian abortion

jif cuz that's what the guy who invented it says also that's what everybody said until recently - also saying "gif" sounds gay

and a hug. how adorable

geoff or jeff?
nobody gives a fuck. Make up your own pronunciation for it

This.
Fuck what Steve Wilhite wants it to sound like.

Giraffe?

"graphics," not "jraphics"

Officially its jiff but that sounds and looks wrong so gif is preferable

I don't care what the guy who invented it says. Do you pronounce gift like "jift"? No, you don't. Pronouncing gif as "jif" is retarded and throws out English phonetic conventions for no reason.

It's not officially anything.

>graphic interchange format (.gif)
You don't say "jraphic"

It's like asking what the proper pronunciation of 'xhe' is or what the + stands for in LGBTQ+. It's fucken irrelevant and no healthy human being gives two shits.

>jiraffe

You don't pronounce it giraffe

Sure thing goeff. Your generational gerrymandering is very generous, I'm going to go to a gigantic gym to study geography now.

Read it and weep
theschoolhouse.us/lessons/lesson53

Except gif would have the same "g" as gift, which is a hard g. Do you say jift?

Using symantics it's gif due to the immediate vowel after the g. If you think it's a noun and nothing else then it would be jif since it is a name the inventor gave it

The snake is afraid the indian kid has shit on his hands

jive me a break

bjs

>Implying that English follows its own rules.

Jraphic park

youtube.com/watch?v=9iafa959JvY

>english phonetic convention

This is the funniest thing I've read this year.

General, generic, genius, gene, gender, Germany, etc.

>The stingy gypsy gypped me

Kek

Also
>We have set rules on how to pronounce some things
>I'm going to disregard the rules set on how to pronounce something because I don't agree

GE is J, GI is like gift.

does it matter? the fact that english allows words like "gigantic" to exist already shows that its a retarded language
the solution is to change all of the words with a "J" G to be J and then we can come back to this

Gift, Gil, Gig (and giggle), giddy, gibbous, gimmick, girl, girth, girdle, etc...

Gif would have the same "g" as gift. It's a hard G

It's "jif" the creater said so

gin

.......yes. read my post again. Gif should have a hard g

I hear nerds say it like "jyf" like strife.
So lame.

By all logical reasonings, it should be pronounced gif as gift without the t. The g stands for graphical.

However, the creator pronounced it as jif. as in back in a jiffy. So technically, this is the correct pronunciation.

I however believe that either
A) The creator is a massive troll. Thought it was funny and didn't think the argument would go on to this day, or maybe it's what he had hoped.

or B) He is a fucking idiot.

Both equally likely

You are a git
Fish have gills
You were given 13 dicks to choke on
14 dicks would be a sales gimmick

I'll punch you right in your fucking vagina if you come hurring to me saying 'jif' or something.

The creator said it was pronounced "jif" so that's how it's pronounced. It wasn't a word before he made it one.

>everyone kindly fuck off now

Why does it matter what the creator says? Besides, he never said that "jif" is the correct pronunciation, he just said that it's how he's always pronounced it.

its like when a parent names a child, they choose how you say/spell it

this.

>/endthread

“The Oxford English Dictionary accepts both pronunciations. They are wrong. It is a soft ‘G,’ pronounced ‘jif.’ End of story.” -Steve Wilhite, creator of the "jif."

None of those are the word GRAPHICS, nigger.

Graphics = hard G = GIF

gif

If I create something named the Apple and tell everyone that it's pronounced app-LEE, I would be retarded - just like Wilhite is.

Wilhite is a fucking retard, and he sure as fuck didn't create that spec alone.

> pronunciation in acronyms are the same as when expanded
Good job we pronounce SCUBA "Skubber".

If you created something called "apple" it should be pronounced "apple" since that is how it has always been. There has never been a "gif" in the english language. Also that's the thing about the english language, it is fucked and doesn't make sense and has a million acceptions.

I used to pronounce it gif but when i heard the creator pronounces it jif i changed.
>if you create something then you get go decide how its pronounced

Nah, you don't. You can choose how to pronounce it yourself, but the rest of the world can choose to pronounce it differently, and in this case the different pronunciation is the correct one.

Except the C in scuba stands for CONTAINED. C = K sound. Which is why the sCuba c makes the same sound.
Why is this so fucking hard for mongs?

GIF is not just a word...it is actually an abbreviation! It stands for

Graphics
Interchange
Format

Now.....how the fuck do you pronounce "Graphics".
Ok. Say it out loud to yourself. Now, from that, it should be pretty fucking apparent what the proper pronunciation of GIF is.

How is "G" pronounced m8?

How about JPEG mothafucka? The P stands for Photographic, so you should pronounce it JPheg. Or more like JFAG cause thats what you are.

People pronounced it "scooba" but the u stands for underwater so by your logic people should be calling it "skubba" or do you say oonderwater? Now fuck off with your shit logic.