Top 3 War movies and 1 honorable mention (Foreign movies welcome)

Top 3 War movies and 1 honorable mention (Foreign movies welcome)

I will likely watch everything listed that I haven't already.

1.Saving Private Ryan
2.Fury
3.Black Hawk Down
Honorable Mention : The Pianist

Other urls found in this thread:

videos.files.wordpress.com/TneJgWZZ/isis-ninawa_hd.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=3T-VAi2Xqq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I didn't like fury at all. But if you've never seen restrepo and you like war movies you gotta check it out man

The Victors

in saving private ryan all the American soldiers die slow painful deaths but the germans die instantly from chest shots without making any noise

>Platoon
>Full metal jacket. Kubrick is a hack but he nailed it on this one
>Black Hawk Down

Watch Downfall, can only get German w/ English subtitles but its amazing.

Will do, I appreciate your suggestions

Restrepo was garbage.

1. Pacific Rim
2. Independence Day
3. Captain America, Civil War

Cross of iron, apocalypse now and saving private Ryan

One of the greatest films of all time

Knights of Bureaucracy. Latest live action war movie. Some wonderful stuff. You won't believe what happens in the final six minutes.

videos.files.wordpress.com/TneJgWZZ/isis-ninawa_hd.mp4

I liked Fury, but the last scene is pure fanfiction.
Downfall was fantastic.

Keep em comin folks

Are you only interested in modern war movies (WW1 - present), or does any time period go?

Act of Valor

Damn. Better than all the hollywood makeup crap I have ever seen. Dubs confirm.

>Kubrick is a hack
the edge is strong with this one

OOOOOOOOO I MEMBER DOWNFALL, IT WAS FANTASTIC. but yeah that is a super fuckin solid movie, long as fuck. but well worth it

Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan

Anything goes really but I'm really only interested in what people like the most as individuals, and most really old war movies don't hold up too well against newer war movies

How? The military isn't fun like in Hollywood movies

Stalingrad (the 1993 German version)

also watch the 2nd one called Korengal

You could watch Attack! with Jack Palance, made a couple of years after wwii- quality film. Waterloo is one of those long, drawn out war movies like a bridge too far and the longest day that are worth the effort but hard on the bum. The big red one is worth a squirt. The thin red line is quite beautiful, but very boring for long stretches.

Thin Blue Line,
Apocalypse Now,
Das Boot,

Honorary Menschen: Iron Cross

What? What the fuck are you talking about?

The majority of older war films are far superior to modern war films because they focus more on the actual grit, reality, and aren't as full of shite CGi and other nonsense.

You clearly just like fancy explosions and believe that HE grenades create massive fireballs when they go off.

did you forget "let em burn?"

Watch that new one about the medic called hacksaw ridge, ive yet to watch so not sure if good

The Holt Trinity here, but, I would absolutely have to put Hacksaw Ridge at number 2.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions

You misunderstand friend, I not meant that the more modern movies are better in terms of quality
but industry standard has changed and ultimately if you've seen something newer it's appeal is higher because of the effects and you're not as likely to enjoy it because of what you've already experienced

That movie was terrible

#1 Full Metal Jacket

I like fury, but the only thing i fucking hate about this movie is how they made the SS battalion look so fucking retarded at the last battle. Like just flank the fucking tank, blow up the barrel with grenades and be done with it.

Glory
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Braveheart

Alright fuck the top 3's just gonna post a list of must watch war movies.
>Vietnam:
Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket
>WW2:
Saving Private Ryan, Downfall, Letters from Iwo Jima, Enemy at the Gate (Watch all 4 and you get perspective of war from each major power)
>WW1:
All Quiet on the Western front, Passchendaele (feel free to skip love story bs), Lawrence of Arabia
>American Civil War:
Gangs of New York(war is a minor factor but still a fantastic movie)
>Napoleonic Wars:
Last of the Mohecans, Master and Commander
>Crusades:
Kingdom of Heaven

Patton
The longest day
Battle of Ardenne's

Oldschool but damn good

1: Windtalkers
2: Enemy at the gates
3: Patton
All Quiet on the Western Front

Korean made, but pretty good if you can handle subtitles

Rather liked Fury. The Hurt Locker is also interesting.

Foreign recommendations:

> Zwartboek (Black Book) with Carice van Houten (red priestess in GoT)
> Soldaat van Oranje (Soldier of Orange) with a young Rutger Hauer

Dutch war films work really well, because .nl has a rich ww2 history and the dutch style of film and storytelling is very direct, crude and sexual. Tells it like it is.

> La Vita e Bella
Now this is pretty arthouse, but it's a beautiful period film

Also watched Band of Brothers recently, fucking fab with the veterans speaking, and the true stories.

No Hamburger Hill?

We were soldiers
Hacksaw Ridge
Rogue One
American Sniper

Even divided it up by time period, This'll do me some good thx bud

Yessss. Forgot about that one. Thanks!

You forgot apocalypse now

Path of glory (kubrick) ww1

>blow up the barrel with grenades
Retard. If it can take the strain of firing a shell, a grenade isn't going to bother it.

The best 3 will be the autobiographic trilogy from how The founding Father Donal Trump frees America from the muslim and latino scum.

1. Admiral (Russian movie)
2. 9th Company (Russian movie)
3. Black Hawk Down

1.Star ship
2. Fucking
3. Troopers

>master and commander
>napoleonic wars

Although its set during the napoleonic wars, its really more about life at sea during a british and french naval battle. So don't expect cavalry and line infantry. I would recommend Waterloo for that stuff.

>3. Captain America, Civil War

not a war movie.
the only nice moment is Spiderman going full retarded & nerdy while in combat.

Could you tell me a short synopsis of the first 2?
I'm very interested in seeing russias side to war
they aren't really covered at all in american films

The Big Red 1
The Longest Day
The Dam Busters
633 Squadron
Battle of Britain (Larry Olivier is excellent as Dowding, but it's an all-star cast)

Platoon
Apocalypse Now
The Thin Red Line

Black Hawk Down / Das Boot (TV Version)

Gotta see this one

Fucking this

Also Restrepo is a must see

1. 9th Company
2. My War
3. Saving Private Ryan

(cont) forgot
Battle for Sevastopol - Russian language but really interesting film about female sniper "Lady Death"

heard good things about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=3T-VAi2Xqq8

“We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won’t allow them to write “fuck” on their airplanes because it’s obscene!”

1. Apocalypse Now
2. Platoon
3. Fullmetal Jacket

Enemy at the Gates

>Last of the Mohecans, Master and Commander
nice choices

inb4 "Mohigans"

Kelly's heroes

Triumph of the Will

Thanks for all your suggestions anons I think i've collected a sufficient list of titles from you all im off to start pira- I mean legally obtaining these

Thanks, watched this when i was a kid with my parents. Watching redcoats getting scalped is something i'll never forget.

The other 2 werent war movies either you dunce

"Are my methods unsound?"
"I don't see any method at all sir"

Great film

Just pay the iron price.

Great movie.

Dad Boot
Come and See
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Honorable Mention: Gettysburg

Platoon has aged horribly

>Dad Boot
Mom Shoe
Uncle Slipper

Shit
Meant DAS Boot, obviously.

Starship Troopers.
Three Kings.
Inglorious Bastards.

I think Three Kings is highly underrated personally.

One of the "KINGs" is a stinKINGnigger.

Fury was a shit film. On so many levels. The SS behaviour, brads acting. the characters, even the end, it has all been done better in other films. And that fact makes it even worse because the director producer didn't bother to investigate the genre before putting out this POS.

Also I should mention that I chose these because these set the correct tone for each war, and are for the most part historically accurate in portraying battles. If you want less serious movies then inglorious bastards comes to mind. Also for the American Civil War: Outlaw Josey Wales is very good.

Finally, I'm surprised it took this long to find Come and See on here.

Cross of Iron was good too

"STEINER!!!"

you have no idea man....

1. Cross of Iron
2. The thin red line
3. Bridge on the river Kwai
4. A Brigde too far
5. Platoon

Ice Cube is awesome.

1. Come and See

>Sup Forums starts posting about war movies
>reposts of reposts of hollywood blockbusters
>ctrl+f no "Die Brücke"

Do any of you actually war movie? Fuck.

>Enemy at the Gate
>Heavily fictionalised poop

1. Paths of Glory
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. Cross of Iron

>WWI
Fly Boys was good, though Hell's Angels (the Howard Hughes movie from 1930, not the cheesy biker flick from the late 60s) is also good, even more so because it uses actual WWI planes
>Civil War
Glory is ok, if you can get past the anti-racist moralizing
Gettysburg is the shit.

Estonian war movie, probs hard to find but it's pretty good

Not OP but:
For someone that didn't investigate the genre, he sure caught the claustrophobic experience of tank crew quite well. The sequence with the German women and the subsequent bombing of their apartment is also a great scene.

The telltale mark of a good war movies isn't the litres of blood spilt, the explosions, the kills, or even 100% historical accuracy - film is art and should invoke feelings. The best war films are the ones that portray the confusion, the loss, the bloodlust, the daily emotions of those who lived through it to the audience so well that the viewer can look back on real history and empathize with at least a fucking idea of how the human condition is affected during war.

I'd rather start a thread about movies where Ameritards get beaten the shit out of by GermaNazis.