Why is it that people who typically like Seinfeld don't like Friends and vice versa...

Why is it that people who typically like Seinfeld don't like Friends and vice versa? There's Seinfeld people and there's Friends people. What's the deal?

Seinfeld's humor (absurdity) appeals to men whereas friends (goofy sarcastic) appeals to women.

Speaking from experience.

I used to think friends was the better show. Probably because I was 10 and I thought Seinfeld was for old people while friends gave an accurate prediction of what I can look forward to my life being like when I hit 20.

Then you hit 20 and realize life is nothing like friends. And the humor is forces and made to appeal to the lowest common denominator. While Seinfeld becomes funny. With its more mature humor and creative story's. Also being 100% more relatable.

At best I'd call friends a guilty pleasure. I'd only ever watch it alone and if i had nothing to do.

friends is for retards who think a man screaming "pivot" is the height of comedy

Spot on

Sienfeld is about people being selfish and horrible to each other. Friends is about people acting silly and being supportive to each other.

Agree with this. My 10yo self was an idiot.

I watched both growing up

I recognized Seinfeld as being better

Well, when I was ten, I watched Seinfeld and ignored Friends. who can say why

And if there was one thing I never even imagined as a kid it was binge watching whole shows at a time. It was almost impressive how I had seen all of seinfeld and the simpsons before dvd's came out.

I love both shows actually, but i'll easily take Seinfeld over Friends if I had to choose.

both are garbage

>No hugging
>No learning

What about Seinfeld catch's your attention at age 10 though?

That's why I always skipped it. Jokes that I never got. Scenarios I could never imagine and character quirks that I wouldn't understand until a decade later.

how about people who think both are shit????

why the fuck is elain wearing cat ears?

they have opposite world views.
seinfeld vs. friends:
sandbox life vs. teleological life
the individual as incidentally sexual vs. centrally sexual
technology and culture as inherently valuable vs. instrumentally valuable

>seinfeld is garbage
Oy vey. Off yourself.

larry david being behind siendfeld automatically makes it better than some hollywood copycat sitcom. ld is one non conformist funny jew

Cause it was on, I guess? Shows can be funny even if you don't get the deeper meaning. Most of the show was pretty basic humour. Naked subway men, fishing rod bread, the superman episodes.

The south park episode about the closet is funny even if you don't know what the phrase means.

i thought elaine was a kitty in that thumbnail

don't forget
funny vs. not funny

It's her feet.

>Elaine was a furry all along

Men like Seinfeld and women like Friends, simple as that.

>ld is one non conformist funny jew
Nope. Just god.

Patricians like Seinfeld, plebeians like Friends. It's that simple.

She's not? You blind bud?

Both are pleb as fuck, it's basically Reddit for the 90's.

Seinfeld is pretty shitty, Friends is at least comfy.

Don't post shitty Elaine's.

Wait are there seriously people who consider Friends to be a great sitcom, among the classics? Because it's fucking not.

Friends is just a nice goofy show you can tune into and just enjoy the pretty faces. Friends is the Macaroni and Cheese of television. And hell I love Mac & Cheese but it's not the greatest of anything.

Seinfeld was an absurdist comedy that made us laugh at the worst human traits. The Seinfeld gang was snobby, judgemental, passive aggressive, rude, and petty. It was hilarious. At it's prime it was also brilliantly written as seemingly small comedic dialogue exchanges at the start of the show would then become the big punchline of the ending. It was dark but also light and silly.

I don't hate Friends, but it's in the same tier of television shows as Modern Family and How I Met Your Mother. Seinfeld on the other hand is with The Simpsons and Arrested Development as the best things made on television and comedy in general.

Well, wasn't their finale one of the most tuned into of all time?

Not many have done it.

When you have friends you can have talks about nothing and made fun of simple things because you are boring. Not as bizarre as Seinfeld but still.

Friends is wannabe romance wannabe drama and wannabe funny. Failing in every aspect.

as a 12yr old, i started watching seinfeld as sort of a by-product of the shows that came literally before it on the schedule.
for example: I used to watch the FOX channel A LOT because of Simpsons reruns that came on an hour after i got home from school.
So before the simpsons would air, id park myself right in front of the tv in anticipation of it.
So naturally, id end up catching some of the end of a seinfeld episode or even the entire episode because i think it was airing right before the simpsons.
Same thing with Home Improvement (the show with Tim Allen)..
So basically, OTHER shows on the schedule led me to Seinfeld.
And then i was hooked.
I never watched ABC NBC CBS as a child so i never saw a single episode of Friends.
Oh and the only reason i was watching the FOX channel as a 12 year old in THE 90's is because my family didnt get Cable TV til i was like 17 years old.
I grew up in Illinois poor.

I don't like that as her looks got better her personality got worse.

She was so nice in the earlier seasons, then they became such a bitter bitch. Still really funny, but not friendly anymore.

Thank god you'll never breed.

She's an average looking girl. I don't know where this sexy garbage came from.

>average
She's at least a 7,5/10

JLD is sexy af.
she looks even better in veep desu

You are confusing hollywood average with normal average. She's like a one on the hollywood scale. In terms of normal average, she's in my league, just like Arya from Game of thrones.

She's not growing into an Emma, that's for sure.

because there are patricians, and then there are people who like either of those.

What a cutie. Source my good man?

I like both. Seinfeld is funnier, but Friends is better overall.

Frasier is better than both of them

I agree, I didn't get Seinfeld when I was young, but a few years ago I gave it another shot and damn it was amazing.

I also enjoyed Seinfeld as a kid. My parents would turn it on so I would naturally watch it with them.
Kramer cracked me up. George overreacting to everything. George's dad overreacting to everything. Elaine being hot. Jerry would sometimes get into funny situations. I remember one episode where he wore giant goofy glasses, once he accidentally agreed to wear a pirate shirt..
Newman's relationship with Jerry was funny to me.
David Putty was a role model.
Kids can appreciate that cartoony crap.

Actually, Seinfeld is about nothing. The characters being awful people is more of a meme than a fact.

I like Friends overall, and I really like Seinfeld.

mom! i posted it again!

I was a kid when I saw the finale and it fucked with me.
>Jerry telling jokes while in prison
>joke flops
>man yells I'm gonna cut you in the shower
wtf??

is seinfield still watchable? it was never available in my country.

catgirl Elaine a CUTE

Ya

I like both desu

I prefer seinfeld because it requires a little more brainpower, only slightly but more than friends.

I just don't understand how people like Friends.

I've tried to watch it and it's just not good.

>You are confusing hollywood average with normal average
You mentioned nothing of the sort.
Either way you are wrong. IRL she's at least a 7,5. Hollywood she's a 6.
>just like Arya from Game of thrones
Are you insane?

eh you get invested in their relationships and stuff like a soap opera

She is at most a 6/10 in real life and 4/10 in Hollywood.

She is less attractive than the average woman in Hollywood, this is a fact.

I think it totally depends on your view. Especially cause everyone I knew who loved Friends had a great life and pretty much aspired to move to the city after school and live with roommates and work random jobs before landing their dream job.

Seinfeld is much more realistic but pessimistic. It's where you realize that your dreams were probably unrealistic and now you're taking what you can get and living your life for the little things.

It's really like Friends were the cool popular kids from high school and Seinfeld was everyone else.

exact same story for me.

It's funny too because I thought that stuff was funny as a kid, but now I think Elaine and George are the funny parts of the show.

So, people who like Seinfeld also like IASIP
And people who like Friends...?

Also likes How I met your Mother

Not him but I can't take a bunch of pretty people serious about their petty melodrama.

That's one of the principle reasons why Seinfeld is superior―they're exaggerated but they seem like real people. Friends are just phony, plastic fashion models and celebrities.

>Seinfeld is for men
>Friends is for woman
Fraiser is for anyone who is very beta

Can confirm

holy shit that's so true

I don't agree.

I liked Coupling the most.

This makes Seinfeld the best sitcom of all time honestly. Too many "comedies" fall for the meme that you need to have character drama for the jokes to work. That's just filler bullshit.

It's honestly one of the reasons I hate Futurama. I'm not her for le feels, I'm here to laugh and be entertained.

Nice blog, how do I subscribe?

What about the British version of Friends, Chums?

>he doesn't like friends

>goofy sarcastic
more like bitchy and shitty towards the men

>So, people who like Seinfeld also like IASIP
I'm not actually a huge fan
They are all assholes, even if they always get their comeuppance, I still don't care about the bunch of assholes

I always rooted for Russ & Rebecca

Could there BE any more bongs!?

Seinfeld is a funny and entertaining show.
Friends is utter garbage for people that don't have friends of their own and like to live through other people and pretend to be one of the gang.

Out of my way you shits

The writing on Friends was about as good as that on Seinfeld.

Fight me.

Guess that makes me a Seinfeld guy. I think it's always funny and entertaining while Friends just bores me to tears. Always thought that Friends was something that could only be enjoyed if you have been there when it aired, while Seinfeld is the opposite, it still holds up.

Frasier is seriously the gayest show ever dude. I hope this is bait

such a based show

What the hell, is that Joe Rogan?

Seinfeld was popular with single middle aged males, Friends was a family thing.

>Friends was a family thing
>Joey: I wanna bone a hot chick
>Chandler: I just got done masturbating to a hot chick
>Ross: I didn't technically cheat on rachel with a hot chick

you know, because they were on a break

Dave Foley was handsome as hell.

Then he got married, divorced, and she took him for so much that he's not allowed back in Canada. I'm not exaggerating, they'll throw him in prison for not paying what he doesn't have.

On saying that, he doesn't look too bad nowadays.

This thread made me realize how many sitcoms I watched growing up

But some of the best episodes were the emotional ones.
>Seymour
>Yancy and the 7 leaf clover

Sums it up perfectly.

Well, I prefer when I can relate to the flaws of the characters, that's why I like IASIP.

>What's the deal?

Seinfeld person detected.

Well I guess I shouldn't bother watching friends then, it was on the back burner for me

WHAT'S the DEAL... WITH SITCOMS???

I MEAN

I GET IT

YOU'RE FUNNY

BUT WHY THE STORY???

Give it a go, you might love it. Lots of people do, and not just idiots like that user seems to imply.

It's definitely a guilty pleasure though.

That was the best aspect of Seinfeld, 2bh. No "very special episodes," no crying together, no starting families, no relationship dramas and tears etc. Seinfeld had the ability to turn attempted rape and the death of a fiancee into comedy.

They even poked fun at the show's lack of sentimentality when Jerry develops "feelings" and the whole episode everyone is freaked out by it. Friends tried way too hard to make the audience sympathize and cry with the characters even though the characters were all terrible people and unrealistic.

Seinfeld is funny. Friends is not.

So Seinfeld=Sup Forums and Friends=reddit?

I like bolth, but I much prefer Seinfeld.
Friends I can watch in the background, when Seinfeld comes on I'll usually drop what I'm doing and sit down to watch it.