Gross: $158,271,471

Gross: $158,271,471
Budget: 144,000,000

How does it feel to be wrong? The movie is officially a success.

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable
stephenfollows.com/hollywood-movies-make-a-profit/
techdirt.com/articles/20121018/01054720744/hollywood-accounting-how-19-million-movie-makes-150-million-still-isnt-profitable.shtml
investopedia.com/articles/investing/093015/how-exactly-do-movies-make-money.asp
hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-pictures-posts-100m-quarterly-915608
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

(((( ))))

Jews don't make movies to just break even.

And that's not even including the marketing.

And now add the marketing costs to the budget and subtract the cut for the cinemas from the gross.

Proving that making a sci fi movie for the Bridesmaid fanbase was a good idea. Geeks, move along, I guess.

It will be around 225-250 worldwide when it's done. That's still pretty good.

That's breaking even. Feig said they needed to make like 500 mil.

>pushed to 7th in its second week
>going to half digits weekly
>trending on average of 1 mill for next week
>will have to stay in all cinemas for another year to hit 250

Sure thing feigstein

>That's still pretty good.

No it isn't. They used 100m on marketing,
that's 244m on this movie.
And the studio don't get all of the gross money in return.

>Domestic Total as of Jul. 31, 2016: $106,171,471

How is it so unpopular overseas too

Being this autistic. Learn basic movie economics. Fuck you for having me respond to this bait. It's going to have to make 300 million to even come close to breaking even.

You know what had a 150 Million Dollar Budget? Jurassic World.

Ghostbusters 2016 will never get a sequel. 500 Million was probably a low number to start a franchise.

Imagine that you built a house by yourself over the course of several years, spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on materials and equipment.

Would it have been worth it if you broke even selling it?

minus $150m marketing budget
minus 30% exhibitor cut

That's not a good analogy at all. They've built up the value of the IP and the Ghostbusters brand. So even if it just breaks even on production costs it's still created value for them going forward.

Can't tell if troll or retarded tumblrwhale feminazi

Because America/Canada/UK are the ONLY ones who care, at all, about feminism.

It did not "create value." This movie devalued Ghostbusters as a brand. It might be 5 years before the value of the brand is back to where it was before this movie came out. No-one bought the toys and the new video game was an unmitigated disaster.

>They've built up the value of the IP and the Ghostbusters brand.

Yeah, it totally made the brand more valuable.

dont care, since i will not see this movie ever in my life

there are still people who don't know how box office splits work.

fucking newfags.

I read that the toys were actually selling really well

Ghostbuster just seems to be a stupid ass concept, really.

"break even"

So if a factory makes $1M of a product, and a store just sold $1M of that product, does that mean the factory just brek even?

Your analagy is wrong, movie theatres like to get paid you know, they can take up to half of a tickets price, so to properly break even it will have to make twice as much

>Gross: $158,271,471
>Budget: 144,000,000

I know is a bait, but... You know studios get 50% of the home market and 25%-30% on foregin market?

This is far from recover the budget, also, there is an extra 100 mill in marketing, so 250 mill is the bar to surpass.

For a movie the size of Ghostbusters they were probably betting on getting to record numbers.

158 million is fucking nothing. Probably they expected to be above 300 by now; which isn't going to happen fast.

either you are baiting or you need to do the maths again.

To put it bluntly this is still a piss poor performance for a film with that big of a budget. Some one somewhere will likely be losing their job for this failure.

South America here
We love ghostbusters, we want more of Peter, Egon, Ray and Winston.

We dont care about reverse roles or feminism.

we dont like fat wokmen in their mid 40s, specially if they are black.

You're forgetting dvd blu Ray and digital sales. And they made more than their budget back already.

Coming to the end of its third weekend and they're still well short of their production+marketing budget, even before you subtract the 25+% the cinemas take. I honestly can't even see them hitting $250m total before it's out of theatres.

My brother is an SJW and I have never seen him so invested in the success or failure of a movie before. He barely writes any movie reviews on Facebook but he made sure to write one for Ghostbusters, and he was parading around the Rotten Tomatoes score like it was a victory flag.

I don't know what the fuck it is with this movie that has people like him so committed to what is at the end of the day just a very typical shitty remake. SJWs have finally fallen prey to "the evil, unfair" capitalist system that they claim to be so very opposed to. You can trick them into buying anything as long as you convince them that giving you their mone will help win the culture war.

It might have actually worked too, if not for the fact that SJWs are way too fringe to carry a movie that needs $500 million just to break even.

And obviously, my brother has gone dead silent about the movie now that the box office returns are coming in. Looks like he has nothing left to gloat about now that the subjective part is over, and the objective part all points to the movie being a failure that will lose the studio money.

At first I hated this movie but since everyone seems to think it sucks I'm starting to realize that it might be kino and all the plebs do not get it.

It isn't. It only gets half the gross it earned

I know, my wife's son has them all and we even bought en extra set of carded ones to keep on the wall for display!

Non-american here, because the only people who care are feminists and apparently they aren't as numerous out here as they are noisy.

That's chainsaw looks pretty rad.

Only Americans care about feminism.

Just like the last three Terminator that really helped to build up the franchise value. Ghostbusters is so fucking overrated anyway.

Domestic gross total: 106 mil
Foreign gross total: 52 mil

Domestic studio net avg = 50%: 53 mil
Foreign gross net avg = 30%: 15 mil

Production budget: 144 mil
Advertising budget: (est) 100 mil
Total cost: 244 mil

Total studio net as of day 17 of release: 68 mil
Total studio loss as of day 17 of release: 176 mil

That's some fucking grrrl power right there....

Theaters take half the earnings idiot

I think that's what he was saying.

>my mouth
>engulfed
someone get this faggot a dictionary, jesus.

I will never understand why some people think SJWs are such a huge market to the point of firing CEOs to appease them.

Fant4stic made 168m on a 120m budget and every news outlet and site claims it underperformed but this somehow is a success?

How retarded are you

If they really saved a movie then we would've gotten a Dredd sequel

>Trailer is released
>"5 times the new 'Ghostbusters' trailer destroyed the patriarchy"
>Movie is released.
>It flops.

Only thing it smashed was itself.

The original Ghostbusters was a hit because had likeable characters, and was had a novel premise for a sci-fi comedy, and at it's core was the story of starting a business which is something people found very relateable, especially in the 1980s when so many people were starting businesses and working for new businesses with unknown futures.

The new movie goes a bit more in depth with the creation of the gadgets which is kind of neat, but it completely missed the part about actually running a ghost hunting business. It's also a much more dark and violent movie-- the ghosts in the original movie didn't kill anyone, they just caused tons of mischief, with the exception of Gozer. The body count in the new movie is stupid big and the ghosts are constantly killing people, which the movie plays for laughs. The original Ghostbusters was never that dark or twisted.

How can OP be so dumb?

God only knows. It's been proven time and again that SJWs don't spend money on anything, even if it panders to them.

>moving the goalposts

Because they released two sets of toys. Classic Ghostbusters and Nubusters. Guess which one sold and which is shelfwarming on clearance racks?

Dont the bunny

>Your analogy is wrong
Not at all, stores can have even higher profit margins than movie theathers (Depending on products), so in my example if a store sells 1M, it means only 500K-600K AT MOST belongs to the factory (Implying there is no middleman)

>being stupid

>It will be around 225-250 worldwide when it's done. That's still pretty good.
I actually doubt that. Here is what Deadpool managed to make, and note that Deadpool's domestic gross is basically what GB2016 need to just break even.

The chart shows that there is no possibility of GB2016 going anywhere near breaking even, as the earnings drop off every week.

I keep seeing this, but I haven't seen anything at any of the Walmarts I've been to.

Because until recently, they were always just sneaking social justice shit into things that were pretty much guaranteed to sell. Ghostbusters is one of the first times I can recall where they were staking an entire product on SJWs turning out to support it and pressuring their friends and family into supporting it under pain of social stigma. "You need to support this movie to prove you're not a sexist."

Marvel has been trying this shit lately too, first with female Thor (which bombed off in sales after the first few issues) and now proud empowered Black teenage Mary Sue Iron Man, which will suffer the same fate. Disney is even doing a reboot of Rocketeer where the main character is a black teenage girl, because why else would they bring back Rocketeer?

The annoncement of Ghostbusters rang the dinner bell saying that it was time to make products targeted specifically at Social Justice Warriors. The box office returns should be a warning beacon to anyone who tries this shit going forward.

>people still retarded to not know how Hollywood Accounting works

io9.gizmodo.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

stephenfollows.com/hollywood-movies-make-a-profit/

techdirt.com/articles/20121018/01054720744/hollywood-accounting-how-19-million-movie-makes-150-million-still-isnt-profitable.shtml

investopedia.com/articles/investing/093015/how-exactly-do-movies-make-money.asp

Gross doesn't really tell much. It's kinda like analyzing a company's income statement based on revenue alone.

Also, Hollywood budgeting is notorious for being a bit creative sometimes.

t. grad student accountingfag

In Finland no-one cares about feminist crap.

So ignorant, don't knowing how movie bussiness works. You must be a retarded girl, obviously.

>all these anti-semite cucks trying to explain marketing and other costs when the movie was a resounding sucess
Just admit you were wrong and apologize.

@72631262
lol stay in school

I'm sorry

>it's a shitposters pretend they're feminists who don't know anything about box office thread
I hate these threads. The studio doesn't get all of the box office profits, movie theaters take a cut. Plus the production budget doesn't tell you what Sony really spent on the movie, there's a separate marketing budget. They probably spent about $250 million on this turd and it'll never make a profit that big.

>Just admit you were wrong and apologize.
Apologies can't earn money, user.

That's where Sony made their mistake. They truly believed that they can convert social pressure into cold hard cash. But that's just not how it works, all you can do is push lip service, making people say what they don't believe in. You can't make 500million dollars from guilt-tripping.

Not even in Sweden either.

it's not. gross isn't profit

Motherfucker they turned Ghostbusters into a joke. People thought the original Ghostbusters was pretty cool and remember it pretty fondly. Original for its time as well.

Now? The mainstream sees it like some shitflick, some think it's neat, but others just don't care especially with all the fucking feminist bullshit surrounding it. They've completely destroyed the IP.

Well hey, any retard will eventually pass the goal post if you give them enough time!

"Hollywood accounting" is just a way to avoid paying taxes, all companies do that.

this is a weird layout finland

These people can't read

If a movie doesn't make twice its investment back, its considered a failure.

Same with you

>shitposters don't understand this that or the other
>proceed to explain obvious shit everyone knows about
>it's a shitposter's thread anyway

You're a moron.

This, and the total investment is more than the production budget, it includes marketing etc. So really it has to make at least 3-4 times the production budget

ghost busters is an american thing, tied deeply with New York, filled american references like the stay puff marshmallow man and twinkies.

Any euros who enjoyed it will feel betrayed, as it just doesn't have the same feel as the other movies.

>male Ghostbusters cost more
Fucking wage gap

>breaking even is a success now

the commies truly won

>UK

Ghostbusters 2016 BOMBED in the UK

he made the argument that the studio won't get all the money, those 3 then replied saying the studio won't get all the money

their posts show they didn't understand what he said

It needs to make at least $300m to make back the budget. They get

Its copied from sweden. Thats why it looks like ass.

This. Nobody cares

Im surprised. But then again, niggers dont pay for movies.

They already pulled it from my theatre.

It got dumped to add extra screens for The Secret Life Of Pets matinee, and Star Trek during the early/late shows.

who gives a fuck about poors? they never mattered at all actually.

It need 500 mil minimum to be considered a success.
It's not even half of that

JUST

hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-pictures-posts-100m-quarterly-915608

when the Chinese market is closed to you, they go after the euros and Japs.

They are "exceeding expectations". That's not the same as "selling like hot cakes", even though they want you to think that.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!