There are casuals on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that think Brady is better than Montana

>there are casuals on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that think Brady is better than Montana

Other urls found in this thread:

pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Montana is a shitty state desu

>Expecting any different from kids and bandwagoners

nice b8 m8

How can anyone wear this "man"s jersey on their back?

>Having the greatest offensive minded coach ay your disposal

Do you even know who Bill Walsh is?

>m-m-muh system
Pats bandwagoners are so pathetic

Old fag here. I have watched Brady and Montana. Watching Montana play is something else. I guess it must of been the era. Montana was so exciting to watch. There are too many rules giving Brady protection now

Steve Young was better than Montana too.

that's not sissy dancing
that's just white guy dancing

Young would have had 5 desu

Fascinating insight. I value the wisdom of our old timers.

How many rings did Montana get?

>he only went to 4 owls

joe montana was the greatest american

>Montana 4-0 in the bug one
>Brody is 4-2

One us perfect and the other got fucking meme'd on twice by the worst qb to ever raise the Lombardi.

>I dislike Tom Brady

Brady fags fell drank the ESPN kool aid

>66% success rate with the greatest football coach of all time

This
ED drugs are so bad

>white guy dancing
>sissy dancing

No difference user

White guy here

brody should be 3-3 too if seattle wasnt retarded

That's kind of funny because Brady is a system qb more than anything. He's perfect for Belichick's offense in that he's consistent, but he's not that great of a QB outside of that. Everytime he's been out of play his backups have been just about as good as he is.

If you put Manning in Brady's position with the Pats he'd have probably near double digit superb owls. If you put Brady in Manning's position with the Colts he'd have been unemployed within 5 years.

I'm a Jags fan btw, so no bias here.

Literally no one fucking thinks that.

>Seattle was a hand off to Marshawn Lynch from making Brady 3-3 in owls

kys you stupid fuck, nothings ever good enough for you fags

>I'm a Jags fan btw, so no bias here

The bias is that you're a Jags fan and therefore have never seen a good quarterback on your team in your life

Manning was a choke artist. This is not up for debate.

also white guy here

you can pull it off kinda if you just go full retard and be clowny

spotted the casual

>quoting mike nolan
kys faget

>his backups have been just about as good as he is

Montanafags are this delusional ahahahaha

>Montana (who missed 3-4 games a season) put up LESS than his backups
>replaced by young

>Brady steals Bledsoes job
>im-fucking-plying anybody touched his numbers

The closest thing to Brady so far is Jimmy ( after learning from him for 3 years ), he survived 1.5 games behind our oline ( brissett died next ).

>inb4 Cassel
played better for the chiefs, so your system QB theory falls apart here. Stay BTFO.

The hormones have fucked with your head also Montana has never been suspended for cheating either

>replaced by young

after he'd been playing for well over a decade

these things happen

>bradyfags lol
Literally everyone who is intelligent knows Montana was a better player

Things we know about Montana

>took the Chefs on a deep playoff run
>not a system baby

Things we know about Brady
>coached by the greatest, most diabolical coach or all time
>literally a system babby

Really makes you ponder

Most people here haven't seen Montana play other than his career highlights and film footage and stuff. I don't know how anyone can for am opinion on the matter if they didn't watch Montana play.

This. Fucking love Steve young

>Cassel is great in the system
>Shit outside of it
You just BTFO of yourself you teenage babycocksucker

The real question is: Will Brady's kids be better QB's than Montana's kids?

>there are people on Sup Forums who are actually old enough to have watched Montana play

Pretty embarrassing honestly .

>there are casuals on Sup Forums RIGHT NOW that think Brady is better than Montana
>IS better

They would be right, if Montana tried to play today he'd be too old and fragile.

This cunt is better than Montana

I don't even like Brady that much, but winning in the pre salary cap era wasn't as impressive. Those Niners teams were so stacked on both sides of the ball.

I think that, in fact I think steve young was better than montana

this desu
i mean the 49ers in the 80s had a good defense as well. a lot people tend to forget that.

What is Montana's QB+ rating compared to Brady? Also who has the higher WAR?

>Montana lost more in the early rounds of the playoffs, therefore he is the better qb
I don't get this >losing in the championship game meme

All in means is that one player went on longer playoff runs and won more games in the playoffs. Same thing applies to, say, lebron james.

Does is matter? They're both worse than Elway, Marino, and Manning.

This

Objectively wrong

Brady in the 1980's would not have lasted 10 years.

LOL. Steve Young couldn't carry Montana's soiled jock strap.

He has the most American Name EVER JOE MONTANA doesn't get anymore fucking american that that. TOM BRADY, thats like when you let the mom pick the name

Yeah, hence owning every record for the QB position. Brady will never touch any of them if he ends up plying till he's 60

TFW you know Brady could never win with another team since he's a system baby cuck faggot

forgot pic dammit

I've been thinking about this a lot lately and there is a good argument that Brady is the better quarterback. Going to six Super Bowls as the starting quarterback is something no other quarterback has ever done.

If you were able to draft any rookie quarterback in history and needed him to play many years without injury, Brady gets the nod over Montana. Brady is two inches taller and about 20 to 30 pounds heavier than Montana. Historical records clearly show that Brady has played in a much higher percentage of his games than Montana. Of course, Montana played in an era where quarterbacks took a much greater beating. However, I'm going to say that Brady's size advantage is the reason why he's been healthier throughout his careers.

However, if you needed a quarterback for one big game, I feel Montana is still the quarterback to select. The problem I still have with Brady is that he has never won against a team with a big-time pass rush and, truth be told, he has rarely ever faced such a team. The two times that he did in the Super Bowl, his teams lost. That also goes without saying that, with the exception of the Super Bowl against Seattle, Brady has never had a truly brilliant Super Bowl. He's always played just well enough to squeak out a win. Montana's performances in SB XIX and XXIV are things of exquisite beauty; and he had a fairly dominant performance in SB XXIII.

I sir value you your opinion. Based Young is based.

Daily reminder pic related has earned victory in every single Superb Owl they played in.

>Bucco Bruce

Daily reminder this strength coach has SIX rings.

>3 'Boyz 3 'Patz

Here's why Tom Brady is a greater quarterback than Joe Montana: fuck you, that's why

daily reminder your pic related also had a winless season

Montana's sons suck at football. For whatever reason, Joe was a real freak of nature and had something like football ESP at times he was so good. The various types of passes he threw to get the ball to receivers and the incredible accuracy, trajectory control, and touch are things I'll probably never see again in my life.

>getting to a super bowl is worse than not making it at all

Who is MontaƱa?
Are there other great mexican quarterbacks?

Do you know what choking means? Brady has most of the postseason records

>that Bumble dig at Brady with the Peyton stats

a real freak of nature in that his back was nearly as bad as Tony Romo's throughout his entire NFL career, and had to lean on Steve Young for the latter half of his career.

back the fuck up normie, don't you know where you are?

you could win a million rings with only your best bros for teammates in every god damn sport that exists, and it would still not make up for the absolute utter humiliation of getting to 6 (SIX) fucking finals and only winning 2 of them. that's all that matters, that you're a worthless fucking loser

>white guys sacking Kaep

Why is the NFL so racist?

He took hits from LT, the Dome Patrol, etc his entire career. He's lucky to even be walking.

The other teams in the NFL (back when there were only 28 teams) also had that same advantage. This means teams like the Washington Redskins, New York Giants, Chicago Bears, Los Angeles Ram, and Philadelphia Eagles could actually amass quite a bit of talent and hang on to it.

I know it seems hard to believe but until the 49ers won Super Bowls XXIII and XXIV, the Washington Redskins were going to be crowned the Team of the 80s.

During the 1980s, the Redskins had The Hogs and The Posse. As for the Giants, their defense was one of the very best in the NFL. They were the team that managed to beat Buffalo in Super Bowl XXV with defensive coordinator Bill Belichik. If you're interested, you really ought to read the comments of the Bills players and Giants players about Super Bowl XXV. The comments from Bruce Smith and Andre Reed are illustrative about how very difficult was for an NFC to get to the Super Bowl.

Colin Sackorpick.

originally he got his back screwed up in college though.

When did Brady play a Trent Dilfer led team?

Steve Young was trade for by the 49ers in 1987. Montana's last real season with the 49ers was in 1990 when he was 33/34 years old; he spent 1991 on injured reserve and was on the bench for 1992 when George Seifert decided to with with Young.

1988 was a strange year when Bill Walsh tried to phase out Montana and replace him with Young. Montana was still in the prime of his career and forced Walsh's hand with superior play to put Young back where he belonged: on the bench.

Young barely played prior to Montana's devastating injury in the 1990 NFC Championship Game. So, no, Montana did not lean on Young at all. And quite honestly, Young would not have survived some of the games Montana played (and won) such as the September 1989 game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Actually, it was a congenital defect. Montana was born with stenosis of the spine. I don't remember ever reading it being a problem in college, where he really only started for two years in the short college seasons. It wasn't until the rough-and-tumble NFL that it was discovered.

The Bucs should have said that they chose their colors as a reminder of the cool, delicious Dreamsicles Floridians enjoy in their warm, sunny days.

Also, like Dreamsicles, the Bucs melts and turn to goo when the heat is on in big (and not so big) games.

Why have the Patriots fallen off a cliff?

OK. I know Brady has never been attempted to be "phased out," but Young played like a third or half of the games in the time he and Montana were teammates because Joe couldn't finish games. And Young was still a better backup than everyone who has played in Brady's place (Bledsoe, Cassel, Garop and Brisket) combined.

I think it's absolutely fair to penalize a player for being injury-prone when evaluating them. Hell knows we do it all the god damn time with Romo, and if /nfl/ were to compile a legit top 30-ish quarterbacks, Antonio would barely make the bottom half because of his injuries despite him being a solid QB when healthy.

Look, in the end, I lean slightly toward Brady because he has been healthy for 17 seasons but one whereas Joe couldn't play a full game many times. Brady's fulfilled his promise he made to Kraft after he was drafted and is a freak of nature in his own right with that inner drive and will to win. He has two massive black marks on his career with >18-1 and the redux, though Joe has had more "bad" playoff losses. Until Randy Moss came along Tom hadn't had a single elite wideout in his career, whereas Jerry Rice's time in San Fran entirely overlapped with Joe's. Coaching/system I'll call even because Walsh and Seifert were as amazing and pioneering as Belichick has been.

There are

Belichick's Jewishness on signing defensive playmakers. I can see what we ending up getting in letting Chandler Jones go, but that fucking Collins trade was retarded. Plus Gronk's health is being Gronk's health and now Brady's only good true wideout isn't playing tonight. But Dion Lewis is, thank god.

*There are other things to argue about in Brady-Montana, like the SBs, offensive playing eras and the like, but I can't be arsed to continue with them.

Brady > Montana. One love

sorry that buf,mia or nyj suck. stay mad kike

Brady just fucking went off in Joe's old house

>dat straw grasping

>Santa Clara
>Joe's house

>Young played like a third or half of the games in the time he and Montana were teammates because Joe couldn't finish games

pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YounSt00.htm

From 1987 - 1990, Steve Young started a total of 10 games. That's 10 games out of 63 during those four regular seasons, or 15%. That is not even close to the 33% to 50% you claim. And of course, as I suggested, the 1990 NFC Championship Game was the end of Montana's 49ers career.

So from 1981, the season when Montana was the incumbent full-time starter (he started the last 6 or so games of 1980) until 1990, Montana was not carried by Young. In the meantime, the 49ers won Super Bowls XVI and XIX with Montana at quarterback, before Jerry Rice was drafted and before Steve Young was acquired in a trade.

As a 49er, Montana missed 8 games of the 1986 with back surgery for stenosis, all of 1991 with an elbow problem, and all of 1992 (at age 36) since Seifert decided on Young as his quarterback.

All things considered, Montana played a fairly large number of games. Not as large a percentage as Brady, who has been exceptionally sturdy with the exception of the knee injury which wasn't his fault, but to even mention Montana in the same breath as Romo is ridiculous. When it came to big games, Montana was always able to play until knocked out of the game (1986 playoffs against Giants (argh), 1990 playoffs against Giants (aaarghhhh), 1993 playoffs against Bills).

Romo in the past two or three seasons can't even take a sack without shattering like a porcelain doll. Not to mention Romo gets his seasons ended during the regular season and, even if he survives into the playoffs, has dreadful in the playoffs.

Out of the quarterbacks I've observed, only two have higher quarterback ratings in the postseason than regular season: Joe Montana and Kurt Warner. What does this mean? It means that as the games got bigger, Montana played bigger.

Contrast this with Peyton Manning's and Steve Young's regular season versus postseason quarterback ratings. Both Manning and Young, in their times, have been called chokers for failing to play as well in the postseason as their dominating regular season statistics would suggest.

Young's QB rating was over 10 points lower in the postseason than regular season while Manning's QB rating was nearly 10 points lower in the postseason than regular season. These are statistically significant.

During Montana's career, it was said that the NFC West (NFC Worst, NFC Waste) was a weak division that allowed him to pad his passing stats. However, the NFC playoffs during Montana's era was no laughing matter. Despite the much, much higher quality of opponents in the NFC playoffs (if you believe that the NFC West was a weak division), Montana's postseason quarterback rating was 3 points higher than his regular season rating.

If 3 QB rating points is not statistically significant, at the very least Montana maintained the same quality of play in the postseason against very dominant, dynasty-caliber teams as in the regular season.

>Arguing with anti-Brady fags
Theres no logic with these retards. The only words they know is cheating, system baby, belichecky, manning choking but can only play in the regular season, Montana undefeated(Like anyone gives a shit that his cheating team never lost in the bowl), Adam baby, and etc.

>"Theres no logic with these retards."
>proceeds to give logical reasons why Montana is objectively better than Brady and Manning

Steve Young was the best QB to ever play. Accurate cannon arm, 4.5 40 yard dash and better stats than Montana.

In all seriousness. Joe was good, but he had one of the best defenses in the league behind him as well. Not to mention the GOAT receiver.

Funny you mention Bill Walsh, because even Bill Walsh says Joe Montana isn't the greatest quarterback he ever saw play the game.

>Seattle was a hand off to Marshawn Lynch from making Brady 3-3 in owls
No proof of that.

>They couldn't stop Lynch all day!
No guarantee Lynch could have gotten into the end zone.

Montana's 40 yard dash times were in the 4.5s as well. Very few people know about Montana's running ability because he was a quarterback first and a running back second, unlike Young early in his career.

Montana: 4 SBs and 3 SB MVPs
Young: 3 SBs (2 courtesy of sitting on the bench for Joe) and 1 SB MVP.

While there can be an interesting argument as to the greater of Montana or Brady, there is no argument when comparing Montana with Young. The greatest San Francisco 49ers quarterback ever is Joe Montana. Period.

"Joe Montana was the greatest professional football player I ever saw."

Bill Walsh as quoted in _Montana_, by Joe Montana with Dick Schaap. 1995, Big Sky, Inc. and Opus Productions Inc. page 81.

"Greg Cook was, I believe, the greatest talent to play the position."

Bill Walsh, as quoted in Bill Walsh: A Football Life, aired January 23, 2015.

Lmao these Brady babbys keep getting BTFO

Greg Cook's career was destroyed in his rookie or sophomore season when he suffered a rotator cuff injury, which was devastating in that era.

So it's possible that Cook was a greater talent than Montana. However, Cook did not have an NFL career even worth mentioning.

Perhaps an analogy, although not a good one, would illustrate my point. Randy Moss was a greater wide receiver talent than Jerry Rice (and Jerry Rice admits this). However, Jerry Rice had the far more successful career and is a much more complete player than Moss.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing when Walsh made that statement.

Brady is easily the goat and he is still playing

I thought you Trumplings stuck together. You have an Alpha white male role model who supports Trump as the leading QB in the NFL and yet you shit on him. Just more Sup Forums contrarianism. /s9k/ is what this place is.

Bill Walsh immediately said afterward that Greg Cook was "Steve Young, but bigger." So not only is Walsh praising Young more than Montana, he's praising Cook more than Young.

Cook's career never panned out due to his injury, this is true. But if we're going to talk about the words of the co-architect of the "West Coast Offense" (the other being Paul Brown) that prefers to call it the "Midwest Offense" or "Cincinnati Offense," Bill Walsh is giving Cook exceptionally high praise to say he was the greatest talent to ever play the quarterback position.

>Jerry Rice had the far more successful career and is a much more complete player than Moss.
Jerry Rice's "successful" career is owed largely to his use of stickum, an illegal substance.

I should add a few things that may give some color on what Walsh (assuming that quote is accurate) said.

Greg Cook had the physique of a premier quarterback: tall, big, and a powerful arm.

Montana, on the other hand, did not look like a quarterback. In his rookie season, Dwight Clark initially thought Montana was one of the kickers. Also, the scouting reports prior to Montana being drafted questioned his arm strength and questioned whether he could survive in the NFL with his slight build. Montana was 6'2" and I believe weighed between 180 (probably as a rookie) and 200 pounds. During his time as a starter, the team nutritionists wanted him to be a 200 pounds but I believe his weight was usually in the 190 - 200 pound range.

Walsh did say that Cook was "temperamental," which may or may not mean anything back then. I'm assuming a temperamental quarterback may not necessarily be able to win his teammates' confidence, one of those "intangibles" things. Montana most definitely had the intangibles.